Crossmen 2013

So I read somewhere that the corps is staying at Bohemia Manor High School (Maryland) before the West Chester show, is that true? If so I'll drive by and check out the corps on the way from work.

Crossman will be in Massachusetts Thursday, can't wait to hear this horn line up close and personal!!

Took time off from work in Dallas and flow (home) to Boston to check out Crossmen (again) and BAC for the first time this season.

Whom do I root for?

My kids...

This year that means: Go Crossmen! Go Boston! Go 7th Regiment!

I'm such a homer...

• Like 1

So I read somewhere that the corps is staying at Bohemia Manor High School (Maryland) before the West Chester show, is that true? If so I'll drive by and check out the corps on the way from work.

Yes, they arrived 2 hours ago.

Crossmen Schedule Bohemia Manor HS (Chesapeake City, MD)

Wednesday, July 31

9:00 Wake

9:15 PT

9:45 Breakfast

10:45 Visual

11:15 Sectionals

12:00 Music Ensemble

1:30 Ensemble

2:30 Run

2:45 EPL

4:15 Depart for WCU

5:45 Warm-up

7:40 Gate

7:55 PROTEST

8:10 Pack and Load

10:15 Depart for Lawrence, MA

Crossmen magic comes to an end for me tomorrow night in Lawrence MA, a long way from East Dallas where I first caught them in December.

I have a great deal of respect for what I saw from the team of Chuck Naffier and Jason Buckingham - they seem to have a real synergy.

My respect for Ed Devlin goes back decades and this year has only reinforced it.

I witnessed well run, well paced rehearsals that focused on the right stuff at the right times.

If I were a young Crossperson, as my 19 year old daughter is, I would be happier that the corps challenged me with a show that was never going to be easy to interpret, but communicates so much than a cooler jazz show that works more easily while saying less.

I've never been one for "message" shows. I still remember kind of giggling at the Bushwackers' "Meaning of Life" show... how do you express in 9 min on a football field what the collective geniuses of 4,000 years of literature have failed to get across?

Weird though - maybe it's cause I'm getting old - this Protest show seemed important to me. I think that our times have developed a politically uninformed and naive group of young people - they're so tuned internally to social media that they tend to tune out on the actual world - if you can't understand it in 140 characters they don't want to know.

But this has been a rough start to a decade - no matter how you come down politically on issues like: Colorado movie shootings; Newtown Massacre; Boston Marathon Bombing; Edwin Snowden; Wikileaks' 700,000 classified documents; George Zimmerman; unequal civil rights for gay citizens... man it goes on and on.

Is a drum corps show going to fix it? Nope... no way. But by Denton these kids were selling their message... some of them had to be getting introspective to do it.

In the words of Edmund Burke, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Protest, baby... make it sing... wake us up. Some windmills are worth tilting at, at whatever cost.

One more time before you go rock Allentown Crossmen. Light it up in Lawrence tomorrow night.

• Like 2

Now it looks like it will be a death match between Troopers, Spirit and Crossmen

Last night was match and set. And based on the TOC event this years champion is all but decided. Let's face it Blue Devels always have another gear and seem to pul away when they need to. They will continue to dominate as long as they have that staff in place. So I really really hope XMEN bring in a new visual design team that can take the corps to the next level. And It's a shame because this years corps should of been battling for position in the top 10 not on the outside looking in. Also it was realy nice having shows when you compete later and under the lights. I just hope this years kids don't bolt to other corps because the expectations were so high and not making finals is a big disappointment.