Crossmen 2013

whoa... Crossmen are in a great place right now. I am not blaming the judges. I am just looking at the recap.

All I'm saying is on Thursday, the guard was scored .2 behind the Cavaliers. Tonight, they were scored 1.7 behind the Cavaliers. On Thursday the drum line was .6 down on Blue Stars. Tonight it was 1.5

now, maybe tonight's numbers are more accurate? It is definitely possible...

and they have been being scored low in Visual Analysis all year (so, probably deservedly so)

edit: if it makes you feel better, the guard judge pooped on the Cadets tonight too.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with being analytical about judges and the scores they tend to give. Even now, drum corp judging has a subjective element that definitely impacts the results.

I've been keeping a database of every judges scores specifically to keep track of this. If you line up all the judges in a particular caption, you will have a whole lot in the middle, but a few who rate "Corps X" better than other judges do and "Corps Y" worse than other judges do. These biases are real. I think one of the reasons that the GE captions, in particular, have two judges in the big competitions is to average things out. It's an official acknowledgment that the variations in opionions exist.

I don't think it's "blaming the judges" so much as acknowledging that this is something EVERY corps has to deal with in the judging system for drum corps. A corps can luck out and get a judge in a caption that tends to have a positive bias towards them, but equally they can get the reverse. When corps are as tightly packed as the fight for 12th seems to be right now, it can be particularly important to all the corps in that fight. Not just the Crossmen.

FYI, over the last four competitions, the Color Guard score has had a higher standard deviation(more variation from an average) than any other caption.

Edited by barigirl78

What's up with Bones' drumline? I thought Lee Beddis wrote their book. Heard he's never been to a camp or on tour with them. What's that all about?

I had thought he was supposed to have more involvement this year?

Personally, I see nothing wrong with being analytical about judges and the scores they tend to give. Even now, drum corp judging has a subjective element that definitely impacts the results.

I've been keeping a database of every judges scores specifically to keep track of this. If you line up all the judges in a particular caption, you will have a whole lot in the middle, but a few who rate "Corps X" better than other judges do and "Corps Y" worse than other judges do. These biases are real. I think one of the reasons that the GE captions, in particular, have two judges in the big competitions is to average things out. It's an official acknowledgment that the variations in opionions exist.

I don't think it's "blaming the judges" so much as acknowledging that this is something EVERY corps has to deal with in the judging system for drum corps. A corps can luck out and get a judge in a caption that tends to have a positive bias towards them, but equally they can get the reverse. When corps are as tightly packed as the fight for 12th seems to be right now, it can be particularly important to all the corps in that fight. Not just the Crossmen.

FYI, over the last four competitions, the Color Guard score has had a higher standard deviation(more variation from an average) than any other caption.

I think you have to be analytic about the folks who have as much input into your success as the folks teching the show, or even the designers. But once your analysis leads you to the deduction that you were "pooped on" you've taken your corps down a dead end street.

Not all judges are of equal talent and experience, but you trust that the best slate will be there in Indy. Not all of them get what you're putting across... their fault or yours? If it's theirs it's up to your staff to educate them into what it is they missed - it happens.

But if you actually feel that you're getting screwed you have to get out of the activity because without integrity it means nothing.

Did 93 Star get screwed? in my opinion - no, although I firmly believe the panel got it wrong. It all comes down to your belief in the system ultimately. If you think you're getting screwed your kids will think they got screwed, and their experience will be compromised. There's nothing wrong with getting beat. it's a crime to get screwed.

it's all in the semantics and the understanding.

Giddy up go Crossmen

Giddy up go

• Like 1

They will be in 10th.

I agree. During the Texas shows I saw much more room for improvement in the Crossmen's show than I did in Spirit or Blue Stars.

If the staff can work out those last few design kinks and the kids can clean clean clean, i see a very satisfying finals placement in our future.

• Like 1

They will be in 10th.

I agree. During the Texas shows I saw much more room for improvement in the Crossmen's show than I did in Spirit or Blue Stars.

If the staff can work out those last few design kinks and the kids can clean clean clean, i see a very satisfying finals placement in our future.

it will be an important day on Sunday... Crossmen need to start closing the gap to have a chance at 12th.

I think Saturday night's show is an important precurser to Sunday. Different judges, but just as important.

Edited by barigirl78