Crossmen 2013

Last night was match and set. And based on the TOC event this years champion is all but decided. Let's face it Blue Devels always have another gear and seem to pul away when they need to. They will continue to dominate as long as they have that staff in place. So I really really hope XMEN bring in a new visual design team that can take the corps to the next level. And It's a shame because this years corps should of been battling for position in the top 10 not on the outside looking in. Also it was realy nice having shows when you compete later and under the lights. I just hope this years kids don't bolt to other corps because the expectations were so high and not making finals is a big disappointment.

The Crossmen were over 2 points from the Blue Stars last year in their final show before finals week. This year they are 1.15 behind Spirit. I would not throw in the towel yet.

• Like 1

The Crossmen were over 2 points from the Blue Stars last year in their final show before finals week. This year they are 1.15 behind Spirit. I would not throw in the towel yet.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how similar to last year this is.

• They got the same score at Pittsburgh last year as this year (83.1)
  • They were 0.85 behind the 12th place corps. This year they are 1.15 behind. A difference, yes, but not much of one

There are small differences in where their strengths were caption-wise. Percussion ranked a little higher at this time last year and brass ranked a little lower.

For all the talk of the need of a new visual design, the corps current ranks higher in GE Visual than GE Music. And higher in Visual Analysis than Music Analysis.

• Like 1

Go get 'em Crossmen!

• Like 1

After watching the top 15 last it became very apparent that the corps has a very talented brass line along with a strong color guard. I think both are under scored because

of the visual program. My wife who does not know much about the activity felt that the Crossmen did not move as much as the corps around them. She also noted that the show got a little to much with the signs as they moved through the program. Her words were ok I got it you don't need to keep remindinge with the signs. Since I am a vet of the corps I would have to agree. I also felt the Troopers out performed the corps and will probably pass them tonight. IMHO if the visual package was stronger they could of been pushing top 10 with the talent they had to work with. I am hoping that the right adjustments are made this winter since all of the corps are getting better. Its going to be a battle just to make the movie broadcast.

• Like 3

Two quick things: a) Crossmen fans, don't give up. Chuck Naffier can tell you about being 13th at Quarter Finals and 12th at Semis (I know because my Crusaders were 12th and 13th during that exchange - never forget it) He pushed to the end with Colts and I have faith in him with Crossmen.

b) having been on the short end of that with 94 BAC, and with '84 Bayonne I just want to take a second to say that those two corps are two of my favorites and two of the years I'm most proud of in my drum corps life.

In a society where no one is allowed to take second and everyone gets a trophy it's good for these young people to experience the thrill of victory and the agony of "less victory"...

My daughter (Crossmen synth this year) texted me this morning this message: "I really want to make finals"

I want her to as well, but you know what? Nothing can replace the experience she (and 149 others) have had this year. I think that her tour fee was money well spent, and I couldn't hope for a better education between her Freshman and Sophomore year at UNT.

I'm proud of her, and proud of Crossmen. I'll be excited if they're 11th or 12th, and proud if they're 13th or 14th.

No one can take anything away from them, and while "high octane jazz" might have made 12th more realistic, they've grown as musicians and people trying to make a tough show work.

I will remember 2013 Crossmen for a long while, no matter how this plays out.

Can't believe I'm rooting for Naffier to do this again... it soooo ###### me off the last time....

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

I think that DCI is very fortunate that rather than simply setting out from scratch in San Antonio to build a corps, that this team saw their way clear to continue the legacy of one of DCI's really important franchises.

This corps felt, sounded, and acted a lot like the Crossmen I remember.

Mr Morrison et al (including staff and volunteers) should feel very proud of themselves tonight, and the Crossmen alumni should adopt and continue to support this wonderful corps.

Quite a year.

Just heard that Fred Morrison, executive director of the Crossmen, has been named the DCI Corps Director of the Year! The award will be presented this evening.

No matter their placement, Bones is an excellent program all around!

Congratulations to all!