Parades

Ok. I'm very confused. I just watched the videos by the OP and the Crown videos fro multiple parades.

Phantom Regiment : The crowd looked asleep and had no response. I'm sure they were delighted and it was "professional" but the crowd didn't seem engaged. great performance and very together, just my observation.

Crown: marched lock step 95% of the time, when the drumline and or sections were featured, they "hammed it up" a little bit. Crowd was pumping fist and singing along. In another video, they aren't marching, standing in place and belting. It looks like they were in warm-ups or the end of the route. Noone else around that they were blocking. The 50 people on the porches of their houses were all outside jumping around and cheering.

Some people on DCP: "prim and proper"

The rest of the world: not like us

I'm also acknowledging this when some others may not- the videos I saw of crown were during July 4th (celebrating our country's freedom). I hope they don't play earth, wind, and fire during a memorial day parade.

If there's a video of crown at a memorial day parade doing that, I'll take back everything I just said. Otherwise I think Crown knew their audience and it seemed many loved it. Same with phantom.

• Like 3

That depends, did she go to Harvard and does she accept that there are some on the East Coast who will never accept that Stanford is ranked higher than our Crimson friends...

Stanford. Harvard. Irrelevant and over-rated.

When no less than Sports Illustrated handed out the title "Cleverest Band in the World" it went to neither. It went to Columbia, and rightly so because its antics are unmatched.

I won't go into the "Birth Control Show" that got the Columbia band banned from the Yale Bowl or so many other famous stunts. I'll only share this one to which I was a co-conspirator. My senior year we dispatched two recent graduates from the Cleverest Band in the World to join the Harvard band before the season opener in Cambridge. These two had one task - to steal the Harvard show, which they did. The visiting band performs first, so Columbia performed what Harvard had rehearsed. Harvard had no choice except to be redundant, which they were and for which the fans booed. Nice.

Columbia can't play in the PAC-10, 12, 15 or whatever it is, so its band can't get Stanford's exposure. No matter. Sports Illustrated made the call. Cleverest Band in the World. Columbia.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 2

Ok. I'm very confused. I just watched the videos by the OP and the Crown videos fro multiple parades.

Phantom Regiment : The crowd looked asleep and had no response. I'm sure they were delighted and it was "professional" but the crowd didn't seem engaged. great performance and very together, just my observation.

Crown: marched lock step 95% of the time, when the drumline and or sections were featured, they "hammed it up" a little bit. Crowd was pumping fist and singing along. In another video, they aren't marching, standing in place and belting. It looks like they were in warm-ups or the end of the route. Noone else around that they were blocking. The 50 people on the porches of their houses were all outside jumping around and cheering.

Some people on DCP: "prim and proper"

The rest of the world: not like us

I'm also acknowledging this when some others may not- the videos I saw of crown were during July 4th (celebrating our country's freedom). I hope they don't play earth, wind, and fire during a memorial day parade.

If there's a video of crown at a memorial day parade doing that, I'll take back everything I just said. Otherwise I think Crown knew their audience and it seemed many loved it. Same with phantom.

How is this in response to what I said? I'm even more confused now. The guard was dancing and having fun at one point, is that "allowed" by your opinion? And for the most part, they didn't play into the crowd, but that's the Cadets. And if they did, it was at Disney for pete's sake, and I'm sure the crowd and Disney would have been ok with it and ate it up.

And still not the crowd response that crown gets from the audience in

video
  • Like 1

I've seen both Phantom and Crown (and others) in parades, both are impressive. I have to admit the Crown's "let it all hang out" style can be seen by some as sloppy, but it IS exciting. When we went to Bristol MA for July 4th a few years ago, the townspeople knew the corps and loved them all...including Crown.

I will say this, I video taped a certain corps at the parade with the intent of putting some video on YouTube, but I will never show it in public. It is sloppy and weak, the drumline is dirty and the members are just walking and joking. I was embarrassed for them, and it wasn't any corps mentioned in this thread. Long story short, if you are going to be in a parade do what you do and do it well.

• Like 2

Just don't tell them the drum line goes in the middle. :cool:/>/>/>

Since Drum & Bugle Corps began, I believe drumlines were always up front. Bands might have a different approach.

Edited by Ghost

I just LOVE parades! Crown hamming it up, the pristine perfection of Phantom, the amazing intricacies of Cadets at Disney, I DON'T CARE! I LOVE THEM ALL!

Seeing a drum corps in a parade is reliving my youth, when straight-legged marching machines were gods, drum lines played the craziest things I'd ever heard, and I just wanted to be a part of that incredible, hair-blowing sound!

What is the argument in this thread again?

And, by the way, WHO CARES!?

• Like 4

Did I miss something? This looks like every other corps I've ever seen or been a part of, in a parade. Slightly dirty feet, slightly dirty drums. Nothing extremely awesome, but nothing terrible. What's this big fuss about? DISH THE DIRT!

EDIT: Oh, it's just Crown. Never mind. Have you people seen them before they go on the field? Should be no surprise as to why they do parades their way.

Edited by JamMan
  • Like 2

How is this in response to what I said? I'm even more confused now. The guard was dancing and having fun at one point, is that "allowed" by your opinion? And for the most part, they didn't play into the crowd, but that's the Cadets. And if they did, it was at Disney for pete's sake, and I'm sure the crowd and Disney would have been ok with it and ate it up.

Disney would NOT be okay with a corps/band taking more than their allotted time to perform. It's extremely standard for Cadets to perform a stand-still at the end of every parade (at least, as of 4 years ago).

• Like 1