Glassmen have an opportunity to reinvent the way things are done

That's why I mentioned the "top people." Personally, I wouldn't want someone to instruct for free who was just a super-fan . Why? Because they'll quickly become disillusioned when they discover how much hard work it is...and teaching a drum corps is tremendously difficult and challenging...especially doing the same thing day after day after day for some 11 minutes of show. I especially wouldn't want someone who had nothing else to do at the time, because once they're disillusioned and find something else to do, they're gone.

This is why members and staff should be genuflecting to those volunteers who work the food truck, sew up uniforms, etc. They are the true heroes of drum corps.

Exactly. One point I haven't seen mentioned often enough is hiring experienced staff brings experience to the table. Someone who's never really ran rehearsal before, or planned out production schedule teaching, is a wild card in front of the students. Someone who doesn't have good time management skills, doesn't have experience interacting with students, doesn't have experience dealing with staff (if they're a tech, it's fairly essential to have experience taking orders, working on what caption head wants you to do, achieving rehearsal goals in a finite amount of time; if its a CH, they have to know how to micromanage a staff, etc). That is a MAJOR problem that is not conducive to competitive success OR keeping members happy/wanting to return. I've seen corps with decent programs not max out their show at Finals because staff wasn't able to get it together and give the members the proper tools to succeed. If you have volunteer staff, in this 'world' that means the staff was likely unable to secure a paid teaching position with another corps and/or has little to no experience teaching a drum corps.

Yes, there are instances where that could work out, but as Mike points out in another post instructional staffers don't make a lot of money anyway.

...If you have volunteer staff, in this 'world' that means the staff was likely unable to secure a paid teaching position with another corps and/or has little to no experience teaching a drum corps.....

Not necessarily true. When I taught, the staff was all volunteer. I was honored to be asked to be on staff, and the corps was less than two hours from home so it was great. I got to see lots of shows, "do drum corps", go to finals etc. I was a staff rookie and had only taught high school, but many on staff had years on DCI staff's. We had one guy that was a caption head for a gold medal corps, another guy that was a former judge and tech with a three time champ, and several techs that had lots of teaching experience.

The staff taught for the love of the game, and because we didn't tour. Over 50% of the staff could have been touring the country, but their home lives (kids, school, work) prevented it.

Although we were compensated with food and a floor, I would argue you could get some top notch people for free if you were willing to pay travel expenses and a per diem for beer. People that teach drumcorps do it because they love it, and lots would do it for free if they were asked. I would.

• Like 2

Not necessarily true. When I taught, the staff was all volunteer. I was honored to be asked to be on staff, and the corps was less than two hours from home so it was great. I got to see lots of shows, "do drum corps", go to finals etc. I was a staff rookie and had only taught high school, but many on staff had years on DCI staff's. We had one guy that was a caption head for a gold medal corps, another guy that was a former judge and tech with a three time champ, and several techs that had lots of teaching experience.

The staff taught for the love of the game, and because we didn't tour. Over 50% of the staff could have been touring the country, but their home lives (kids, school, work) prevented it.

Although we were compensated with food and a floor, I would argue you could get some top notch people for free if you were willing to pay travel expenses and a per diem for beer. People that teach drumcorps do it because they love it, and lots would do it for free if they were asked. I would.

That's all good (I really mean that sincerely), but obviously there are many items in your story that are clearly not the norm. Maybe you were nitpicking my statement, and pointing out, "no, see, there have been one or two cases over the years." But the reality is Glassmen are a World Class drum and bugle corps and have been since the early 90's. Even if they become an Open Class corps upon their return, they will still likely tour substantially and hope to be competitive. What you describe above has little/nothing that resembles the logistics of running/rehearsing a modern competitive drum and bugle corps and obviously it is likely not feasible for Glassmen to run a non-touring, non-competitive drum corps (non-touring = no built-in revenue; non-competing = no high profile "motivation" or however you want to put it).

I think that it is real easy for the folks in the cheap seats to give their ideas/opinions and think, "well it's my idea so it must be viable" or "well, it worked in the 70's or 80's so it must be valid now." I think that there is a reason that for the most part corps operate now the way that they do (for the most part): because it works and other methods don't. There are likely many staffers in corps who are mostly volunteer: I have a good friend who's on my staff who teaches a WC Top-15 corps who essentially makes what you suggest - free travel + per diem for beer. That's probably more the norm for the techs on a staff. But I think there is no way a corps can be viable with an "all volunteer" staff/designers/director, and I think that's type of thing contributed to corps going inactive & folding (i.e. a competitive corps can't afford to tour so they go to a non-touring/volunteer-type staff thing to keep it going but that quickly led to lack of interest and the group folded). It's possible that perhaps Glassmen can come out in a year with cheaper staff/some volunteer staffers in order to keep costs lower, and then as they rebuild perhaps add paid staffers as income allows. But I can't imagine a modern drum corps (especially World Class) would thrive, or even succeed, with a consistent all-volunteer staff/designers/director.

• Like 2

So if you aren't aware, the vast majority of WGI percussion is run in a true volunteer capacity. This goes all the way from the lowest of A Class up to the multi-year World Class champs Music City Mystique. The main thing that makes this possible though is the fact that rehearsals and contests only take place on the weekends and the staff is located close enough to drive out every week. As a director of an independent program over multiple years, I put in about ten to twenty hours into the program during the week and ten to twenty hours on the weekend. I am able to do this because I live within an hour of our rehearsal sites and can hold a full-time job during the week. There is absolutely no way that I could sustain this lifestyle if touring was in the equation.

I would propose that if DCI wants to keep the class model that they have based on touring and revenue, they add an additional third class. However, unlike what was expected of Div. III groups, the new, let's call them A Class, groups would only be required to attend one regional show and championships just like the WGI model. Even in my state, which has no drum corps of which to speak, there are five small DCI shows within a five hour radius. I think that doing four or five shows counting champs would be a wonderfully fulfilling experience for kids, keep costs down, and it is very much in line with what we do all winter.

EDIT - I understand this provides no solution for the big dogs, let them figure out what to do. What this does do though is grow the activity following the footsteps of a proven model.

Edited by doylejd
  • Like 2

So if you aren't aware, the vast majority of WGI percussion is run in a true volunteer capacity. This goes all the way from the lowest of A Class up to the multi-year World Class champs Music City Mystique. The main thing that makes this possible though is the fact that rehearsals and contests only take place on the weekends and the staff is located close enough to drive out every week. As a director of an independent program over multiple years, I put in about ten to twenty hours into the program during the week and ten to twenty hours on the weekend. I am able to do this because I live within an hour of our rehearsal sites and can hold a full-time job during the week. There is absolutely no way that I could sustain this lifestyle if touring was in the equation.

I would propose that if DCI wants to keep the class model that they have based on touring and revenue, they add an additional third class. However, unlike what was expected of Div. III groups, the new, let's call them A Class, groups would only be required to attend one regional show and championships just like the WGI model. Even in my state, which has no drum corps of which to speak, there are five small DCI shows within a five hour radius. I think that doing four or five shows counting champs would be a wonderfully fulfilling experience for kids, keep costs down, and it is very much in line with what we do all winter.

EDIT - I understand this provides no solution for the big dogs, let them figure out what to do. What this does do though is grow the activity following the footsteps of a proven model.

DCA?

Isn't that comparable to the WGI model, if so this already exists. And for better or worse, DCA drum corps isn't as popular as DCI drum corps. While financially it "makes sense" to continue to grow DCA in other states you can't create a corps simply based on it's economic viability. You need kids that want that experience and I think that a lot of kids aren't looking for a weekend only drum corps experience... hmm...

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

So if you aren't aware, the vast majority of WGI percussion is run in a true volunteer capacity....

Great post, I'll just use it as a jumping off point. There was a time when drum corps was all volunteer, or mostly so. It was different then of course. What will happen to WGI when a line decides they are going to all move in together and play every day? Maybe they'll make enough money to pay for someone to run the organization full time. Maybe they'll be able to put so much time and money into shows that they start winning more than others. Probably one or two other corps will ease into the full time staff and money raising thing. Maybe the corps with the money will attract the best instructors and players. Can't take a whole winter off to march? Go march Open Class then....or don't march at all.

It's a stretch, but in 20 years will World drum lines have $250K budgets, and if you don't spend the cash you just can't compete? Americans are competitive by nature, bigger better faster stronger, win win win. I'm rambling now, but this is what drum corps has become. Those that can't play the game have to quit the game.

• Like 1

Great post, I'll just use it as a jumping off point. There was a time when drum corps was all volunteer, or mostly so. It was different then of course. What will happen to WGI when a line decides they are going to all move in together and play every day? Maybe they'll make enough money to pay for someone to run the organization full time. Maybe they'll be able to put so much time and money into shows that they start winning more than others. Probably one or two other corps will ease into the full time staff and money raising thing. Maybe the corps with the money will attract the best instructors and players. Can't take a whole winter off to march? Go march Open Class then....or don't march at all.

It's a stretch, but in 20 years will World drum lines have $250K budgets, and if you don't spend the cash you just can't compete? Americans are competitive by nature, bigger better faster stronger, win win win. I'm rambling now, but this is what drum corps has become. Those that can't play the game have to quit the game.

I would assume that many groups already have budgets in that vicinity, and I know for a fact that some of the top World Class WGI lines have people take a semester off of school to move to a house nearby with other members. The way WGI addresses this problem is that the classes are structured off of the level of skills attempted in a show. It's the reason I can take a bunch of kids who have never marched indoor, rehearse half as much as other groups, borrow instruments and still be competitive in the activity: WGI encourages groups of our size and skill level. If a group becomes a game breaker, they get bumped up. The people in World Class are consistently pushing the boundaries of what a drumline is and can do, and for those twenty-five or so directors who want to mixed up in that, they have an avenue. But my kids, on a much lower level competitively, have an avenue to compete and feel successful as well. The same cannot be said for DCI.

DCA?

Isn't that comparable to the WGI model, if so this already exists. And for better or worse, DCA drum corps isn't as popular as DCI drum corps. While financially it "makes sense" to continue to grow DCA in other states you can't create a corps simply based on it's economic viability. You need kids that want that experience and I think that a lot of kids aren't looking for a weekend only drum corps experience... hmm...

There is a clear distinction between the environments of DCA and DCI from the top down. The experience feels different with adults in the mix, as is the perception of the activity. Part of the fun of being in these youth activities is getting to be immature and focused only on the joy of music in a world that is causing kids to grow up faster all of the time. Having older people, even if they are freshly aged-out, changes that. As long as DCA remains all-age, it is not the solution to DCI's problem.

The regional problem is another issue with DCA. A reason I believe my idea would work is that DCI already has a national tour infrastructure in place. There are regionals that are actually split up amongst various regions in the US and dozens of local shows with an even further reach. It would be much easier for a group to attach to one of these shows than to book it across the country for even one weekend.

I guarantee you kids would be down for a weekend-only experience if it was youth focused. One only needs to look at Surf and C2 to prove it.

There is a clear distinction between the environments of DCA and DCI from the top down. The experience feels different with adults in the mix, as is the perception of the activity. Part of the fun of being in these youth activities is getting to be immature and focused only on the joy of music in a world that is causing kids to grow up faster all of the time. Having older people, even if they are freshly aged-out, changes that. As long as DCA remains all-age, it is not the solution to DCI's problem.

Who says the members in DCA don't march drum corps for the same reasons and don't have as much fun as those in the DCI circuits do?? The DCA circuits DO have fun!!!! They have A LOT of fun. And trying to say that DCI members can focus on the "joy of music" more than the DCA corps do is just completely untrue. And how can the perception be that much different? For one thing, people are people. Whether mature or immature the whole spectrum exists in DCA too! Nevertheless, people march DRUM CORPS (and I emphasize DRUM CORP) whether DCI, DCA, DCE, DCJ, etc. because they enjoy the activity or want to improve on their skills, etc. So in that aspect, I don't think DCA is any much different except for the age requirements and DCA rehearses mostly on the weekends; their schedules are shorter than those in DCI, and members in DCA can march as much as they want. But the drum corps aspect and reasons people march drum corps are generally all the same.

Edited by En929

Totally agree, En929!

The DCA model can, and DOES, work for young people looking to improve their skills. With some DCA corps, the instructional staff is either the same, or equally qualified and committed as DCI corps. The attention to detail, quest for perfection of the craft, is the SAME. But . . . . there IS a time constraint. With DCA, less of this is available.

• Like 1