Glassmen have an opportunity to reinvent the way things are done

So if full summer tours are a factor in why it's so expensive to run a corps, then fine--let's go back to the regional touring model. (And while we're at it, let's stop calling it "tuition" and call it what it used to be correctly called, membership and tour fees.)

I, for one, am sick of seeing corps after corps falter and die because they cannot keep up with the so-called "elite" Big Six/Seven Corps.

How about these other cost-saving ideas, for starters?

Kill the electronics, kill the unnecessarily huge pits (why in the h*ll are there still 6 and 7 full size marimbas being used when amplification was supposed to "solve" the project problems?), kill all the superfluous junk that requires 2 or 3 semis trucks. Kill replacing entire hornlines every other year (having members provide their own trumpets and mellophones and purchasing only baris and contras would provide a substantial savings). Kill hiring endless caption heads and "techs" whose jobs could be done by age-out volunteers. Buy a set of uniforms and make them last for more than a season. Flags--see the uniform suggestion.

Get back to basics. Kids, horns, drums, flags and rifles.

Feel free to flame as you see fit.

• Like 4

"We don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem." - John Boehner, 2013 (and 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012).

Exactly the parallel I thought of when reading that little post... tongue.gif

If Glassmen ever want to be a competitive world class corps again and get into finals they would not implement baja's proposal. Isn't the problem with Glassmen not how much money they spent but how much money they took in? Where in this reinvention is the main problem of revenue addressed? Because I'm sure Nestlé corps won't donate free food and Exxon Mobile wont donate free gas. Here we're talking about spending less money when i think the real problem is not enough coming in...

Your right Charlie1223. The other half of the equation is the amount of money you bring in. BUT, you also must be fiscally responsible and spend only the money you have, not the money you hope to have, unless your the federal government then you can just print the money you don't have.

The corps that have died over the last few years tried to keep up with the big boys and do things they were not prepared to do, such as a full tour. I would include the OC corps as well. Sometimes you need to look at the situation realistically and cut back to keep the organization going.

Maybe for a year or two do a limited tour ala Academy and Surf, build your bank account up again, then go back to a full tour. That is much better than going inactive. If you cant sell that to your members, then maybe they weren't the right fit for the corps anyway.

You don't need companies to donate food and fuel (though that would be a godsend for any corps). There are many other ways for corps to cut costs while on tour.

A small example of this is, I know an OC corps that runs a fundraiser where the parents fund a meal while the corps is on tour. The corps makes a sign thanking the donating family and the family gets a certificate thanking them for their sponsorship and the kids get a great meal. This saves the corps money needed when they hit a bump in the road while traveling. Im sure other corps have ways to create needed funds when the funds are not there as well.

This from the 990's thread pretty clearly shows that Glassmen didn't have a revenue problem, they had a spending problem.

The Glassmen

Revenue

Program Service Revenue

Member Fees - Tour (DC)

(Note: Glassmen's accountant references "DC" and other monikers throughout their 990s. I suspect they reference programs like "Drum Corps" but I'm not positive. I'll show the abbreviations as they occur so, maybe, someone can guess or confirm their meanings.)

2009: $285,385

2010: $314,903

2011: $334,529

Appearance - DCI (DC)

2009: $114,989

2010: $120,643

2011: $121,149

Member Fees - Registration (DC)

2009: $28,040

2010: $34,480

2011: $36,195

Member Fees - Camp

2009: $41,801

2010: $33,238

2011: $34,480

Keep in mind that 2011 figures are actually 2010. Bingo was ended in August of 2011

Still I like the way this information can predict a trend, thanks.

But as your analysis of the G'men showed...their revenues declined sharply as their Bingo operation went bust. That is not the entire picture, of course, but it is an important piece of it.

Agreed, Mike. Here are the numbers for bingo:

The Glassmen

Revenue

Other Revenue

Net Income from Fundraising events

2009: $43,515

2010: $117,161

2011: $24,411

Net Income from gaming activities

2009: $107,252

2010: $71,130

2011: $7,310

Total Revenue

2009: $938,278

2010: $933,389

2011: $770,750

But, clearly, even though G'men cut spending in 2011 to reflect the decline in gaming revenue, the die had already been cast in the accumulating debt from prior years.

I would content (armchair style) that G'men knew their bingo was in the death throws, yet they still chose to spend over $840,000 in 2011. Had they cut WAY back in both the size of their corps, their tour schedule, and spending, they may - MAY - have been able to remain viable (although smaller). The fact is that gaming revenue was NOT their sole, or even largest, revenue source.

The debt is what got them. Not their income streams, IMO.

Keep in mind that 2011 figures are actually 2010. Bingo was ended in August of 2011

Still I like the way this information can predict a trend, thanks.

This is not true, Baja. The 990's list the months that the report covers, and most corps run a calendar year. Those that don't typically run from September to September in order to cover an entire season.

The 2011 numbers are the 2011 marching season.

Remember The Mike Douglas Show? Every single guest was paid scale. Didn't matter if it was John Lennon, Shecky Green, Sammy Davis, Jr., Dean Martin, Smothers Brothers, Jack Benny, Groucho Marx, Ace trucking Company, Maynard Ferguson, Martha Mitchell, etc They all got a flat fee and that was it. The show was so good and popular that the celebrities did it any way because they were always treated right by Mike and the crew. Something for drum corps to think about.

• Like 1

Maybe consider going the C2 route.

Less time,travel,$.

DCA would love to have more quality coprs.

DCI is not the only game in town.

This is a great idea, and I wouldn't be surprised if more financially struggling corps set up a DCA corps or flat-out make the move from DCI-DCA. Unfortunately this would only be financially viable for the mid-west and eastern corps, but it could help a lot of corps.

This is a great idea, and I wouldn't be surprised if more financially struggling corps set up a DCA corps or flat-out make the move from DCI-DCA. Unfortunately this would only be financially viable for the mid-west and eastern corps, but it could help a lot of corps.

Appearance - DCI (DC)

2009: $114,989

2010: $120,643

2011: $121,149

But would they make up the $121,000 they got from DCI in 2011 if they make the jump to DCA?

Remember The Mike Douglas Show? Every single guest was paid scale. Didn't matter if it was John Lennon, Shecky Green, Sammy Davis, Jr., Dean Martin, Smothers Brothers, Jack Benny, Groucho Marx, Ace trucking Company, Maynard Ferguson, Martha Mitchell, etc They all got a flat fee and that was it. The show was so good and popular that the celebrities did it any way because they were always treated right by Mike and the crew. Something for drum corps to think about.

But the drum corps staff's aren't there to entertain, they're there to provide a service. Teachers will always want the pay they want based off their experience.

Edited by kaseyW