G7 Update

did Brass Theater/Blast actually have very much impact at all on introducing new people to DCI?

Not in any appreciable numbers, if at all.

"Blast" the indoor commercial theatre exhibition production, and DCI, the non profit, youth field judged competition Drum Corps were separate entities altogether with different missions, goals, and objectives.

Edited by BRASSO

Wouldn't the regional model solve a lot of these issues. I think it's ironic that Hop and Gibbs are together on this as they disagree on the woodwind issue.

Cancer must be removed from the body as quickly as possible. Narcissism is a terrible thing and to an organization like DCI Hopkins represents a cancer. The folks at YEA are crazy to have a guy with his obvious lack of any moral compass leading it. The longer DCI puts up with his antics, the more the cancer will spread.

• Like 1

Not in any appreciable numbers, if at all.

"Blast" the indoor commercial theater exhibition production, and DCI, the non profit, youth field judged competition Drum Corps were separate entities altogether with different missions, goals, and objectives.

So, if that is the case, Blast actually 'does not' demonstrate to a far larger audience base just how cool our activity is; because if that were true, those people would have flocked over to see what the buzz was all about in DCI.

I'm not so sure the G7 would be willing to start a circuit with just seven corps.

That's not their desired endpoint, no. They want to control DCI. But if not they are threatening to do exactly this.

Nor do I think marching WW's are inevitable.

No one says they're inevitable, but they are far more likely in a G7-controlled DCI or in a separate MIM circuit than in DCI status quo.

Nor do I think DCI will forcibly kick the G7 out of DCI.

I don't think anyone has suggested that this will happen. (Plenty of us have suggested it *should* happen.)

IMO if and when the G7 breaks completely, they'd do so in such way that ensures the new circuit replaces DCI as the acknowledged center of drum corps -- not competes with it.

This is where the risk lies in their project, and why they are so skittish about it.

So, if that is the case, Blast actually 'does not' demonstrate to a far larger audience base just how cool our activity is; because if that were true, those people would have flocked over to see what the buzz was all about in DCI.

True. Besides, the numbers that got to see the theatre production of Blast live was significantly less than the numbers that got to catch the DCI production on TV, ( PBS, ESPN ), but for whatever reason never decided to " flock over to to see what the buzz was all about " when the shows came to their local communities after catching it from their living room TV's when channel surfing.

Edited by BRASSO

Boo: I personally have never ran into anyone in the stands at any DCI event who first saw Blast then became aware of DCI. So, did Brass Theater/Blast actually have very much impact at all on introducing new people to DCI?

I don't know how much of an impact Blast! had, but I've interviewed people who found out about drum corps through Blast! The Blast! program books talked about drum corps and how Blast! grew out of the activity. Don't know if anyone came to drum corps via Brass Theatre. I am aware of articles in local newspapers where Blast! was playing that mentioned drum corps and talked about how Blast! was legitimizing corps and marching band in some minds. The Chicago Tribune, to which I subscribe, ran a full-page article titled, "Revenge of the Band Geeks."

Edited by Michael Boo

True. Besides, the numbers that got to see the theatre production of Blast live was significantly less than the numbers that got to catch the DCI production on TV, ( PBS, ESPN ), but for whatever reason never decided to " flock over to to see what the buzz was all about " when the shows came to their local communities after catching it from their living room TV's when channel surfing.

Something you pay for live by purchasing a ticket and going to a theater is way different than sitting on your sofa flipping through channels on TV. I will use the show Punkin Chunkin as an example here (thanks goes out to Jeff): After he posted about this event on DCP I tuned in to watch it for a while; found it interesting; will probably watch it again if I happen to run across it; but I would not take time to drive out to a field and actually pay for a ticket to see it live. That probably was the same situation for most who caught DCI on PBS or ESPN2. However, I was introduced to the music of Les Miserables by the Cadets at a DCI event in which I had paid a ticket, and when the theater production came to town I bought a ticket to the actual musical production. I am curious as to why many of those who bought tickets to see Blast live never gained interest in buying tickets to see a DCI event live.

Edited by Stu

Boo: I personally have never ran into anyone in the stands at any DCI event who first saw Blast then became aware of DCI. So, did Brass Theater/Blast actually have very much impact at all on introducing new people to DCI?

In conjunction to this, did Blast! or Brass Theater even actively try to promote DCI at their events or in their literature (for example, any know if there was something in the program describing DCI & how people could learn more about drum corps)? From an entertainment business standpoint, it wouldn't make a ton of sense to promote another entertainment venue other than yours, and frankly why would they? Star's mission when they did Brass Theater, and later Blast! was not to promote DCI to a broader audience: it was to refine their performance even more and deliver it to a broader, larger audience.