G7 Update

There sure is a lot of cynicism and paranoia associated with this thread. I feel that the proposal from the 7 is reasonable, level headed, and makes sense for the future of this activity. Why don't the most consistently successful corps have a vote in DCI? That is flat out bad business, DCI is not taking advantage of input from the most successful. No one will convince me that the talk of this being a "power grab" is anything but anti-Hop rhetoric, plain and simple. We have a really bad economic environment in this country, keeping a drum corps alive is a challenging endeavor. If DCI doesn't listen to input from the successful in this activity, they will not survive. I say kudos to the 7 for thinking outside of the box and trying to ensure the future of this great but fragile activity.

So, yeah, you're kind of right.

But they used to dominate the board, and did certain things that caused the unwashed to rise up and remove them, because they were clearly not acting in the interests of the entire activity.

And the escalating costs of doing business in the activity is primarily their own doing. They could show some more restraint, rather than try to increase their share of the limited revenue available to everyone.

Really, they have no one to blame but themselves, and could have made many efforts to repair the damage and re-establish themselves in the governance positions. But they haven't.

• Like 9

LOL!

Once again, I'm tickled as heck that Brasso is a drum corps fan (and more than a kitchen cleaner :tongue:/>/> )

Something like 71.25% of his posts make me chuckle.

My wife has been trying for years to make me more of a " kitchen cleaner ". I'm a work in progress.

Why don't the most consistently successful corps have a vote in DCI?

1. DCI is founded on "one for all, and all for one."

2. Sometimes the most consistently "successful" corps aren't necessarily the most fiscally and logistically stable. Phantom has run into money issues, as have the Cadets a few times. 99.9 percent of drum corps falls outside who places the highest out there on the field, right? :smile:

3. The reason the voting stuff changed to begin with a few years ago was due to the fact that these same "7" tried to vote Dan out and themselves more power to begin with.

There sure is a lot of cynicism and paranoia associated with this thread. I feel that the proposal from the 7 is reasonable, level headed, and makes sense for the future of this activity. Why don't the most consistently successful corps have a vote in DCI? That is flat out bad business, DCI is not taking advantage of input from the most successful. No one will convince me that the talk of this being a "power grab" is anything but anti-Hop rhetoric, plain and simple. We have a really bad economic environment in this country, keeping a drum corps alive is a challenging endeavor. If DCI doesn't listen to input from the successful in this activity, they will not survive. I say kudos to the 7 for thinking outside of the box and trying to ensure the future of this great but fragile activity.

Were you around for the G7 proposal?

Do you know that these 7 WERE the leaders of DCI for 25 years? And here we are.

Re: the economy: this country experienced the greatest economic boom in its history from 1982 to 2007. Why didn't corps flourish during that time? Sorry, can't blame the current economy. That dog don't hunt.

Nobody needs to convince you of a power-grab - George said it himself in 2010 (as proxy, supposedly, for the other 6 who signed on).

• Like 6

I will give you a hint.

Go to the web sites of DCA, WGI, BOA, USBands, and each of the drum corps, winter guards, drumlines, and even the more ambitious HS marching bands. Scroll to the bottom. Check out the lists of sponsors. Look familiar?

Obviously, sponsors are going to support all of the above.

That makes no sense at all. X dollars of sponsorship money is still X dollars. What would be disruptive is the "The 7" causing the split in the first place.

On the flip side, that explains why the "The 7" have not left DCI (and probably cannot) - because they do not have the cash flow to follow through on their bluffs.

Firstly, the nature of BOA, USBands and DCA sponsorship is very different than individual corps endorsement.

Second thing, this is not in the form of cash for corps, but in-kind. Big difference.

• Like 1

We all like what drum corps used to be right? We all want those days back right? So THE 7 have said they want the top 12 running DCI again like "the old days." What's wrong with that? Kids today will go where the fame is and where they can get the best education and WIN! Cadets, Blue devils, etc can leave DCI and kids will go with them. I think that THE 7 are thinking ahead and we are still thinking of yesterday. How many of us are truly understanding of what goes on with young people today? There are choices that kids have today that we didn't have in the 70's. How many young people, of marching age, are on here complaining about the G7? My guess is NONE! These kids are the future of drum corps and they will take these changes with them and even alter them later on.

How many new educational ideas have come out in the past 30 years? Several. They take an idea and change it slightly. New buzz words are added. This is in an effort to (hopefully) make schools better.

G7 is looking to the future and they did say they are not sure if these are the right answers but they will try.

Was it the right answer to go to two valve bugles? Was it the right answer to ground timpani's and keys? Was it the right answer to change to three valves? To change to Multi Key instruments? These decisions were made and we, or really drum corps, has to live with the decisions.

I guess we can just sit back and enjoy the show or turn the channel to something better. Is there anything better?

I get it, many of you dislike George and I was not a fan a while back either but since he became the cadets director they have had a winning organization every year since. Kids flock to be a part of that group. Same can be said for the other 6 corps. Hundreds of kids go to them each year. Those same kids don't give a crap about what we say because we are older. Remember back to your youth when you felt the same way about your parents? (Don't lie, you did!).

If the G7 were to leave DCI today those kids would follow them. More young people today want to march with those corps than any other corps.

Looks like your "guess" is wrong. I'm in my second season marching DCI, and am extremely put off by this ridiculous, volatile "WE7" proposal.

Edited by Mario
  • Like 6

There sure is a lot of cynicism and paranoia associated with this thread. I feel that the proposal from the 7 is reasonable, level headed, and makes sense for the future of this activity. Why don't the most consistently successful corps have a vote in DCI?

They do. Apparently, 20 of the 22 world class corps in DCI have voting power.

If they want to remain in DCi while creating these other shows what's the problem?

The problem is they're using the DCI platform to advertise their own, private venture. DCI get's no cut (and takes no risk) but the 7 get to use the DCI brand and keep all the marbles for themselves, while attempting to prove their model under their own name. Don't you see the conflict of interest here?

These 7 are not going to be available to do DCI shows on those nights - I wonder if the DCI payout will be adjusted to reflect this fact? See? Another problem.

• Like 5

1. DCI is founded on "one for all, and all for one."

Actually, in the interest of historical accuracy, DCI was founded on "we're the act, we should be making the money", verbatim from Jim Jones.

(Check out the Brass Roots video on Fan Network; he said it to Don Warren at a mens room in Wisconsin. We can only assume that he was talking about their respective drum corps...)

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 3