G7 Update

How can we even verify the legitimacy of this letter?

Good point.

I wonder if we're all being played here.

• Like 2

How does one respectfully tell George to "Pound Sand"?

Who is " Tom Spadaro " of the Boston Crusaders,.. George "Horsekins" ?

George seems to me like a pretty self absorbed person when he can't even spell correctly the name of a colleague Corps DCI Executive Director, ( a current member of the Executive Board of DCI ). To misspell this, is either a lack of attention to detail with a proper proof read before putting into the public square, or a discourteous snipe, either of which is a sign of a lack of proper due diligence and respect in my opinion.

Most can see right thru this proposal. The 7 would have the controlling majority of a vote in any 12 vote ( top 12 )policy vote to be taken up on anything at all. Screw that. I don't see why current DCI Corps voting members would want to give up their current rights to vote that in effect would relinquish their power to a self ordained power grab group, and would effectively put in place a permanent and perpetual World Class Division Slotting System within the World Class Division.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

There are two possibilities here:

1 - the last 6 months of Thursday phone meetings are causing some realizations and heartburn about the 6 shows they've been given. So, they're taking whatever shot they have right now to hedge their bets.

2 - If the relationships are as soured as rumored, they have to know this respectful request has no chance. So, the other possibility is it's just political posturing to deflect criticism should they succeed this summer and head out the door.

I would imagine that this request isn't the only governance proposal to be discussed at the Jannual. It's going to be an interesting month.

Edited by troopers1

You can tell it's written originally by Hop because of all the extraneous (and often counterfactual) details he throws in, as if he's thinking about multiple audiences as he writes. The stuff about "marking time" last year is something that's surely come up in internal G7 discussions (between folks who want to move quickly vs those who want to be careful), and makes no sense in a letter requesting a change to the DCI structure. Neither does the tidbit about exactly how much each group has contributed to MIMPA. Clearly he's responding to questions he's been getting from other directors and interested parties about what the G7 is up to and what their goals are. All of that is clear from the last section where he mentions discussions with Mark Arnold and Tom Spataro.

Also, as for what the G7 plans, the line "We are all aware that the Music in Motion/Drum Corps International separation is volatile" makes it 100% clear that this is a split, and that they are trying to ease out of DCI while taking all the money and fans they can along with them. Time for the board to cut them loose, in my opinion.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 4

There are two possibilities here:

1 - the last 6 months of Thursday phone meetings are causing some realizations and heartburn about the 6 shows they've been given. So, they're taking whatever shot they have right now to hedge their bets.

2 - If the relationships are as soured as rumored, they have to know this respectful request has no chance. So, the other possibility is it's just political posturing to deflect criticism should they succeed this summer and head out the door.

I would imagine that this request isn't the only governance proposal to be discussed at the Jannual. It's going to be an interesting month.

If the split happened today, they are way further behind in the PR battle. This letter, while serving other formal purposes, is their first (minor) attempt at repairing their public image. They need to be seen as a positive and reasonable organization when the time comes to do battle. Both to potential audiences and potential members.

• Like 1

Me thinks not.

:ph34r:

Got it. Credible source.

• Like 1

Who is " Tom Spadaro " of the Boston Crusaders,.. George "Horsekins" ?

George seems to me like a pretty self absorbed person when he can't even spell correctly the name of a colleague Corps DCI Executive Director, ( a current member of the Executive Board of DCI ). To misspell this, is either a lack of attention to detail with a proper proof read before putting into the public square, or a discourteous snipe, either of which is a sign of a lack of proper respect in my opinion.

LOL!

Once again, I'm tickled as heck that Brasso is a drum corps fan (and more than a kitchen cleaner :tongue:/> )

Something like 71.25% of his posts make me chuckle.

There sure is a lot of cynicism and paranoia associated with this thread. I feel that the proposal from the 7 is reasonable, level headed, and makes sense for the future of this activity. Why don't the most consistently successful corps have a vote in DCI? That is flat out bad business, DCI is not taking advantage of input from the most successful. No one will convince me that the talk of this being a "power grab" is anything but anti-Hop rhetoric, plain and simple. We have a really bad economic environment in this country, keeping a drum corps alive is a challenging endeavor. If DCI doesn't listen to input from the successful in this activity, they will not survive. I say kudos to the 7 for thinking outside of the box and trying to ensure the future of this great but fragile activity.

• Like 9