Drumline Battle and SoundSport

Beat me to it. I dig this! I'm going to start having conversations with area band directors about this very soon.

Would be a wise idea for any show sponsors. Where I teach we start setting our drum line in May. The kids might not be in 'fighting shape' over the summer, but it might be an intriguing goal of community competition to get them motivated to 'gel' faster/player better/etc. over the summer

So, apparently DCI doesn't own drumlinebattle.com or soundsport.com? blink.gif

They do.

Well, actually Bob Jacobs does... so, I suspect sites are coming soon.

Anyway, this is cool stuff. This makes it much easier for groups around to world to have an easy point of entry and feel a part of an international community.

SoundSport - DCA MiniCorps

• Like 1

Interesting ideas. I don't know that I see this catching on, but I hope it does help generate more interest in the activity. Also hope it doesn't end up being a financial strain on DCI.

I've seen this from a few posters, and I'm wondering how this would put a strain on DCI? It doesn't seem like DCI is really committing a ton of financial resources to this, units competing are obviously not DCI Member units and thus are entitled to $0 or support. Obviously there are no details on the structure of future events, but this could very well be more of a 'pre-show' type of thing, or something on a small scale for DCI to deal with but could benefit from ten-fold if it brings new folks into the fold (or entices old fans back into the fold via alumni performance groups).

• Like 1

BTW, I'm at least interested in forming an independent group, anyone else have the thought, or did you just go to reforming old Corps?

I used to help run a local WGI unit; depending on the format and details of these competitions, I would be very interested in putting out a group. That group is gone now, but that's one of the first things I thought of. I'd also be interested in getting some of my HS students involved, if not to just get them playing/performing over the summer (a time when we're out of school and the kids are not performing).

I'd love to see Star United get involved, or other mini corps-type groups. Lots of possibilities: I'll be really interested in seeing more details

• Like 1

1358543672[/url]' post='3240542']

I like it.

Gonna be interesting to see where this takes place, how the "mini corps" could compete . . .could this be a home for some of the DCA minis, and a spring board for some smaller alumni units to showcase themselves?

Could be some interesting stuff to come out of it, and some creative ideas FROM NEW DESIGNERS sounds like fun.

Tin foil hat moment: . . .I hope some parties don't think we're going to get SoundSport in the door as an eventual replacement for DCI down the road . . .and that this is a back end to test out the "anything goes" environment for WC and OC. I doubt that's a consideration, but you know how we are about assuming around here. tongue.gif

I agree, if anything the opposite would be true. The all instrument ensembles will give woodwind and I presume strings an opportunity for competition and all instruments are welcome from the beginning, so it wouldn't be changing drum corps.

I'm interested in seeing if I might get some drum contacts together now and getting more information. Easy low-cost barrier to entry - you can find a top of the line used battery with cases and stands for $12K or less. Can find a more... seasoned... line and gear for less than $5K. (I know, I've done it.)

Mike

SoundSport - DCA MiniCorps

I don't think so. SoundSport has a FAR greater potential than mini-corps does, at least as it exists now. What I'd like to see is DCA mini-corps evolve into what SoundSport is described as, especially concerning rules and restrictions.