More SoundSport and DrumLine Battle details released

Your whole life had been leading you up to posting that video on DCP. You can now retire, knowing your work here is done :tongue:/>

My work will never be done. It's a continuous job demonstrating how empty my life is.

WGI may indeed be upset, but in the long run it's not going to matter much. it's in their best interests to embrace SoundSport, and do it right now. Hell, they should act like they were in on the plan all along, even if they weren't. SoundSport (or something along those lines) has been a long time in coming, it was just a surprise that DCI was the organization with the moxy to start it. WGI should have done it already, at least in the US.

Agreed. As a band director, we do winterguard and indoor drumline to keep the kids refining their skills in the "offseason." I have always thought that to do this in a way to include instrumentalist would be even better. I think DCI is a large enough vehicle to get something like this going. The name recognition will attract a lot of scholastic groups, but I agree that it will probably not have a large impact on WGI.

You know, most of you look at this as a fan, and I do, too. But I also look at that from a show sponsor's standpoint and my initial inclination was not about starting a group or going and talking to bands in the area, I'm thinking about how to stage it to get its maximum impact at our show and get a bazillion kids to buy student tickets to watch their friends.

We're in central Ohio, I've got plenty of music contacts (even though that's not my day job). It's not too late to get this up and running long enough for the kids to group, find music, practice and be proud of it by July. But, where to start? (Like I have time to do this!) What are the first three things I have to do to make this a hit for my show. We've got a good line-up of corps, and we've got several drumlines that do Dayton.

I can get my hands on a dozen volunteers, businessmen and music people, to get on board and propel the idea. I have time to do this once. Our show is the end of July.

Think like a TEP and tell me...

What do you do?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but does anyone really know how these groups are competing? As far as, how are they being judged? What criteria is being used? Who is judging? Are theyt truly being judged at all? OR did I miss that somewhere in the Drumline Battle explanation?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but does anyone really know how these groups are competing? As far as, how are they being judged? What criteria is being used? Who is judging? Are theyt truly being judged at all? OR did I miss that somewhere in the Drumline Battle explanation?

All we know right now (I think), is:

* 1:30 - 2 min. performance intervals

* snare, bass, tenors, cymbals only

* judging focus is on "entertaining the crowd," not technical proficiency

We don't know specific criteria, who the judges are, etc.

You know, most of you look at this as a fan, and I do, too. But I also look at that from a show sponsor's standpoint and my initial inclination was not about starting a group or going and talking to bands in the area, I'm thinking about how to stage it to get its maximum impact at our show and get a bazillion kids to buy student tickets to watch their friends.

Think like a TEP and tell me...

What do you do?

How to stage it? I would maybe try to do groups at intermission, maybe before the event as a "pre show" to get the crowd warmed-up? With really short interval times, and minimal setup/tear down for the groups (at least the Drumline thing) it could be easy to put it in during show gaps. Obviously it will depend on how many groups want to do it for your show, but I would think about putting them before show, intermission and/or after the last corps before awards.

Don't forget at the time there was a BOA-style winter percussion Championship, as well as a huge PAS winter percussion championship before WGI formed. WGI essentially eliminated the BOA thing (this was before BOA was called BOA, if I remember correctly), and the PAS thing is still cool but now only really relevant to a few college programs.

several local circuits had indoor percussion before WGI did. I'm not sure when TIA or CBA started indoor percussion in the Northeast, but I know KIDA had indoor percussion stuff going back to the 70's.

I'm guessing that rules will be in a continuous state of perfection. After all, we've been changing the rules for DCI since 1972 and apparently we still haven't gotten it right. :tongue:/> :devil:/>

win

• Like 1

My work will never be done. It's a continuous job demonstrating how empty my life is.

it can get emptier?

:ph34r:/>

:tongue:/>