New DCI Board of Directors elected

No one is singing kum-ba-ya. And my previous request for evidence on this claim of "working together" still awaits a response.

I think it's implied with there are four members of the "7" ELECTED (note, not appointed) to the DCI Board, in addition to the four non-7 on the DCI Board, there will be some sort of "working together" by definition.

• Like 1

Think of it like a lawsuit. You get a team of lawyers to scare the crap out of your opposition. They site a ton of legal precedence to back up your claim, and originally file for a judgement that kills the other side financially and legally. Then, you go into mediation and reach a settlement that is far more beneficial to the other side but still satisfying for you. There is a reason why the vast majority of law suits are settled out of court: it's in EVERYONE'S best interests to settle.

This is no different. The '7' "publicly" demanded everything, threatening they would walk and leave DCI without their top draw. DCI & its Directors seemingly (if the Troopers public response is any indication) shot back essentially calling out the '7' and telling them they'll get nothing. The sides got together, came up with a compromise, and the world goes on, very much like it did a year ago.

That is how our world works: you shoot for the moon and settle for the stars.

And yet, in 2010, when the non-G7 corps pulled the ultimate maneuver and legally trumped the 7's plans for a coup, the seven stormed out with hurt feelings and still , to this day, operate from a position of "...we'll forgive, eventually, but we'll never forget."

Seems that what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander in the minds of some.

2 hours and 42 minutes, actually. And you're not alone in your opinion on the film: there's an entire Seinfeld episode devoted to the notion that it's a boring movie.

That said, for every Hollywood movie nominated for best picture, another dozen Hollywood movies don't make the cut, so it would have to be a SE7EN-like subset of the Oscar voters who was selecting the most boring movies to entice you!

Why are you the only one who spells it "SE7EN" - I know you are referencing the movie but I was just wondering why.

• Like 2

BTGW....comparing it to Blast is pointless.

Blast was a one off. it's successor...what was it, Shockwave?....died fast. Anyone thinking the current "truce" is where it ends is not paying any attention to what has been said, put out publically and the personalities involved.

Jeff,

Blast! is just metaphor. This is about creating the NEXT highest level of presentation. To do something unlike what has been done before. Highly capable people (G-7) are striving to be at the forefront of the next big thing. We can never eliminate this type of thinking, nor should we . We can possibly temper it, demand to be included, but not eliminate it. In a way, this type of thing is kinda healthy.

• Like 1

Doubt it.

Unless they are paid, or they are scored in competition, I know of no enterprise like this in existence that gewts better over time. Even the Alumni Corps in Drum Corps understand this unalterable dynamic. Furthermore, I see no enterprise as you envision becoming a commercial success, as without these young " highly talented " performers being paid, or in scored competition, the product quality quickly devolves.

Star of Indiana was charging dues (about the same as their corps tour fees) for members partaking in their Brass Theater venture with Canadian Brass.

• Like 1

Jeff,

Blast! is just metaphor. This is about creating the NEXT highest level of presentation. To do something unlike what has been done before. Highly capable people (G-7) are striving to be at the forefront of the next big thing. We can never eliminate this type of thinking, nor should we . We can possibly temper it, demand to be included, but not eliminate it. In a way, this type of thing is kinda healthy.

I think I get what you're saying: you're saying that it's possible "the 7" directors could think up 'the next big thing' of outside-the-norm drum corps type thing that hits the main stream. Something similar to drum corps but different. If that's what you're saying, I think I agree:

if these directors really, truly want to branch off of DCI and be viable, they have to do something other than drum corps. I don't think re-inventing the wheel when it comes to a drum corps tour will help anyone if they split from DCI. I think they would have to do something similar to Brass Theater & what Star did w/Canadian Brass.

Of course, that was one corps vs. 7: that would be difficult to pull off while serving seven corps full of members.

I remember when Star left DCI/drum corps in 1994. Lots of people saying they wouldn't last, lots of very similar talk. DCP would've been interesting in 1994 :tongue:

I think I get what you're saying: you're saying that it's possible "the 7" directors could think up 'the next big thing' of outside-the-norm drum corps type thing that hits the main stream. Something similar to drum corps but different. If that's what you're saying, I think I agree:

if these directors really, truly want to branch off of DCI and be viable, they have to do something other than drum corps. I don't think re-inventing the wheel when it comes to a drum corps tour will help anyone if they split from DCI. I think they would have to do something similar to Brass Theater & what Star did w/Canadian Brass.

Of course, that was one corps vs. 7: that would be difficult to pull off while serving seven corps full of members.

I remember when Star left DCI/drum corps in 1994. Lots of people saying they wouldn't last, lots of very similar talk. DCP would've been interesting in 1994 tongue.gif

perc-

I believe I am saying what you suspect.

Here we have seven organizational leaders, representing 2000, or so, highly talented performers and staff. They are "feeling their oats." They understand their ability and want to maximize that ability by presenting something better, something they hope is better. So, to me, where's the crime?

I believe the "7" could actually put together 2-3 touring groups that showcase what we all realize is INCREDIBLE talent. How can we possibly hold back that energy, or, should we?

Look, what we can do, in my mind, needs to be done on a better stage than an outdoor football stadium. I understand this is a disruptive and radical idea. At my position in life, I can take the slings and arrows. I'll be fine, even with a million DCP negatives! I just want to encourage open minds here.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2

There's a LOT more that hasn't come out. I dare say things internally may be worse than they were in 2010. The way I predicted? No. It actually came out worse.

so.....

You know stuff but you're not saying anything....

but....

You're saying things are worse but won't say why...

kthxithink blink.gif

• Like 3

Why are you the only one who spells it "SE7EN" -- I know you are referencing the movie but I was just wondering why.

Because we don't know what's in the box.

Because we don't know what's in the box.

OK but No... :shutup:

• Like 1