Why Yesterday is NOT as Good as Today

(Auditions? We didin't HAVE any "Auditions"...)

Our "auditions" back then:

"OK... put the big stocky guy on baritone, and the skinny guy on soprano. And if someone can't cut the horn line or snare/tenor line, put 'em on cymbals." :thumbup::tongue:

My BITD :devil:/> started before the pit and drum lines were moving as fast as the tymps and bells allowed them to move. :huh2:/> Came back to march parts of 84-85 as DCA started to ground. I could see getting them grounded to allow drill to go to the next level. But man I never thought sitting the four marching tymps and 2-4 marching bells would lead to such a $$$$ of buying concert tymps and what... 8-12 bells (or whatever you call them) being used now.

According to some guys on the DCI side, they think that the 10 or so keyboards, set of timps, chimes, concert basses, racks, etc., and now PA speakers, mixing board, amps, mics, cords, extension cords, generator, etc. really don't cost much it terms of the overall budget for a corps, let alone the cost of buying and outfitting a truck to haul it all, maintaining it, and the fuel..............add in staff, arranging, etc. and this stuff equates to a larger percentage of the expense column than some people think.

• Like 1

According to some guys on the DCI side, they think that the 10 or so keyboards, set of timps, chimes, concert basses, racks, etc., and now PA speakers, mixing board, amps, mics, cords, extension cords, generator, etc. really don't cost much it terms of the overall budget for a corps, let alone the cost of buying and outfitting a truck to haul it all, maintaining it, and the fuel..............add in staff, arranging, etc. and this stuff equates to a larger percentage of the expense column than some people think.

Yep, been reading that stuff..... my first thought is always... bag percentage, it's an ADDITIONAL expense. And of course some corps get sweetheart deals so that means it's not that expensive for all corps. Yeahhhh righttttt <$1 to Office Space>

PS - hope yesterday was a good 'un..

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Kay...How about, "Once upon a time when many of us marched?" OR "In the 1960's and 1970's when we marched." (whatever decade you marched). For many of us, it was back in OUR day. Since BITD seemed to be an easier way to write that phrase, well most of us use it.

I guess, but it "seems" to me these conversations are not just discussion but turn into sanctimonious chest beating of peoples opinions, they try to pontificate as truth, that things were better. In the process completely insulting a generation of those perpetuating the activity, that in itself, we all agree we love.

I'm out long enough that I am now part of a BITD, but the thought of saying it just isn't on my radar, not now anyhow.

Carry on

How bout them Mets...............

• Like 1

Yep, been reading that stuff..... my first thought is always... bag percentage, it's an ADDITIONAL expense....

But the expense of hauling any equipment around is not an 'additional' expense...it is the expense, plain and simple. The pit has been around for almost 30 years. At what point is it no longer an 'extra' or 'additional' kind of thing? The top corps in my day had 3 or 4 contras...today corps haul around a dozen tubas. Are there 8 'extra' horns? Or are they just part and parcel of what makes up the equipment of drum corps?

• Like 1

But the expense of hauling any equipment around is not an 'additional' expense...it is the expense, plain and simple. The pit has been around for almost 30 years. At what point is it no longer an 'extra' or 'additional' kind of thing? The top corps in my day had 3 or 4 contras...today corps haul around a dozen tubas. Are there 8 'extra' horns? Or are they just part and parcel of what makes up the equipment of drum corps?

Just saying (right, wrong, or indifferent) that there is more and more equipment used today and the cost of that equipment is getting more and more expensive. And IMO that is yet more expense that corps have to pay. And let's compare the pits from 30 years ago to today, at what point did we go to 10-12 sets of bells. Yes, it's what we have today but still IMO part of the problem why corps are having problems staying on the field.

But (sarcasim alert) some corps get deals on the equipment so it doesn't really matter....

Sarcasim not directed at you Mike...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

You know I think the world of you Kay!

Back at ya! :satisfied:/>

Just saying (right, wrong, or indifferent) that there is more and more equipment used today and the cost of that equipment is getting more and more expensive. And IMO that is yet more expense that corps have to pay. And let's compare the pits from 30 years ago to today, at what point did we go to 10-12 sets of bells. Yes, it's what we have today but still IMO part of the problem why corps are having problems staying on the field.

But (sarcasim alert) some corps get deals on the equipment so it doesn't really matter....

Sarcasim not directed at you Mike...

They ARE NOT bells. I think that is actually one of the things that makes this so frustrating. Those who don't like the equipment in the pit don't even take the time to know what it is they dislike. Imagine if someone said "why do you need all those big horns?" Don't you think he/she would be jumped on as being an uneducated twit who knows nothing about the activity?

If you want to go that same route as to the expense, suggest that batons are cheaper than flags, rifles and sabres why don't you and see how far you get.....

They ARE NOT bells. I think that is actually one of the things that makes this so frustrating. Those who don't like the equipment in the pit don't even take the time to know what it is they dislike. Imagine if someone said "why do you need all those big horns?" Don't you think he/she would be jumped on as being an uneducated twit who knows nothing about the activity?

Well pardon me for not being a ####### percusion major Liz and don't know THE names. And if someone calls them "big horns" because they don't know any better I'd be nice enough to explain if they want to know. And I'd also say the person doing the jumping needs to grow a thicker skin.

As for frustrating, right now I've got an extended family member bouncing between the nursing home and hospital. I'll trade frustrations right now and don't really give a #### if anyone gets upset because *gasp* I used the wrong name *gasp*. Jesus people get wound on the stupidest #### and that applies on a lot of threads.

If you want to go that same route as to the expense, suggest that batons are cheaper than flags, rifles and sabres why don't you and see how far you get.....

I'm talking about the growing number of items being used Liz, NOT replacing one with another.... My post was about expense period, not if I liked 10-12 sets of "them things" being used...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2