You know you're old school when...

If you remember when the contra was the "brand new cool thing!" in drum corps

the little ones or the big ones ?

You just might be "old skool" if you practiced high mark time shows on ashpalt and paved shopping center parking lots and by 35 you had knee pain, by 40 you walked with a limp and by your late 50's you use electric shock treatments and percocets to ease the pain before you get knee replacements.

..........and you just might be " old school " if, knowing all this, you'd still go back and do it all again if the Good Lord would allow it.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

when the restroom on the girls bus was a plywood partition and a KFC bucket

How about a coffee can with a post-it note saying "We are sorry the plumbing is out. Please watch for sharp edges"?

How about a coffee can with a post-it note saying "We are sorry the plumbing is out. Please watch for sharp edges"?

um...empty mayonaise and peanut butter jars had round edges. There were girls bus and boys bus, each left to their own no pit stop creativity lol

You just might be " old school " if you received early onset hearing loss marching Drum Corps.

The old tinnitus which has been mentioned before in another thread. To see many DM's and others on and off the field not using ear plugs is stupid!

..........and you just might be " old school " if, knowing all this, you'd still go back and do it all again if the Good Lord would allow it.

Since stepping away from competitive masters track for awhile, sign me up! The mind and body is ready.

Since stepping away from competitive masters track for awhile, sign me up! The mind and body is ready.

Asked to be DM 2 years ago for a start up corps. I said no (can't take heights). Other than that, I'm good to go too.

You and I were cool DMs from the past; a minority. Our little group should have a get together : )

.... and you just might be be " old school " if you've ever competed in Drum Corps inside an " old school ".

Oh, geez...you just gave me a recurrent nightmare. The Cavaliers' drum line used to rehearse inside the wrestling room of a junior high. It was horrific. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been without all the wrestling mats soaking up some of the din. I couldn't hear myself play the xylophone. Then we joined the horns inside the school cafeteria, which was lined on one side by huge windows that reflected the volume. We thought we must have sounded awesome until the first drill rehearsal outside, and then it was, "Where did all the volume go?"

• Like 1

.... and you just might be be " old school " if you've ever competed in Drum Corps inside an " old school ".

Or the Braintree Armory with the Braintree D&BC and Commonwealth Armory with the Crusaders. At least the CA was big with a high ceiling, but still loud. Also, all the fans were aloud to stand along the wall each Friday night to watch the instructors, especially Ed Denon with his booming voice, chew some butt! The more fans, the better the acoustics.

I imagine many an armory was used by corps. The Braintree Warriors also used the blimp hangar at the now closed Naval Air Station in Weymouth, MA, the home town (city now)of the Sancians.

Edited by Ghost

You may be "old school " if you ever heard the name Robert " Pepe " Notaro.

You are definately "old School " if you know what instrument he played and what Senior Corps he played it in.