You know you're old school when...

Joining the local drum corps, being handed a baritone {an Olds ultratone} and wondering if it was the same one your brother played 8 or 9 years earlier when he marched.

Still call high brass "sopranos".

Contras and french horns.

My sister still refers to the Colts as Colt .45

When somebody mentions Vanguard, I still think Des Plaines Vanguard.

High lift mark time march.

The First Federal Blue Stars.

Silk blouses that weighed around 30 lbs{until it rained or you sweated , then they increased to 60lbs}

Just tossin' this in here...

Competed with The Thing several times; they were both huge (155 members) and pretty good.

I have the interview/writeup of how the name originated somewhere, but this was all I currently found.

Oooops! Image is bigger than I thought, but it is legible. :tongue:/>/>

thunderimpmerge.jpg

Just tossin' this in here...

Competed with The Thing several times; they were both huge (155 members) and pretty good.

I have the interview/writeup of how the name originated somewhere, but this was all I currently found.

Oooops! Image is bigger than I thought, but it is legible. tongue.gif/>/>

thunderimpmerge.jpg

That's awesome. I was at the US Open in Marion, Ohio that year. I distinctly remember the buzz about "The Thing". They were entertaining, large, and colorful. The crowd loved 'em. Thanks for posting!

Edited by drumcorpsfever

That's awesome. I was at the US Open in Marion, Ohio that year. I distinctly remember the buzz about "The Thing". They were entertaining, large, and colorful. The crowd loved 'em. Thanks for posting!

I recall seeing them. They were large, pretty good actually, and yes " colorful ". If I'm not mistaken their uniforms looked like their goal was to match every color imaginable. I recall lots and lots of color. I wish somebody could post a pic of " The Thing ". I couldn't find it.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

You know you"re old school when you are completely bored with the modern day Drum Corps, all of which play "modern symphonic neuvo chic progressive advanced concerto for the new classical symphonic movement for the 3rd baroque bowel movement"...& you miss Jazz, Swing, Spanish, Scottish, & British themed music & corps.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 4

You know you"re old school when you are completely bored with the modern day Drum Corps, all of which play "modern symphonic neuvo chic progressive advanced concerto for the new classical symphonic movement for the 3rd baroque bowel movement"...

C'mon, this has been a fun thread so far. Please don't start going there.

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 1