Another Cadets2 ?

I'm with you, Jeff.

DCA, and every other organization, can benefit from MORE participants. We are past the period when anyone can be "selective." The whole YEA, Cadets2, development has been something DCA needs badly. That being additional participants. We are in NO position to nitpick over details.

One might actually hate George Hopkins and YEA, but what George and YEA have added to DCA is a positive component to DCA. I welcome that. Bring 'em on!

• Like 1

look, I'm not YEA fan, and I am pretty certain that's no secret, but why is their age cap an issue, when you have corps with age caps of their own, that generally go the other way? Why is there no gnashing of the teeth over those corps?

I wasn't gnashing my teeth over it as much as lamenting that one thing that distinguished DCA is no age-out. Yes it's C2's right to limit age, but my original comment was that I personally hoped that any other new splinter corps that may come into DCA did not have an age limit. And I have no problem with a corps having a lower end age limit either.

I wasn't gnashing my teeth over it as much as lamenting that one thing that distinguished DCA is no age-out. Yes it's C2's right to limit age, but my original comment was that I personally hoped that any other new splinter corps that may come into DCA did not have an age limit. And I have no problem with a corps having a lower end age limit either.

Maybe an "Almost All-Age" circuit should be put together.

• Like 1

Maybe an "Almost All-Age" circuit should be put together.

or people shouldn't take all age so literally

or people shouldn't take all age so literally

Time for another name change and not being a smart ### on that as having "age" in the genre name is just dumb. About as usless as having "alumni" when very few corps of that type are 100% former members. Or even 100% former member of any corps....

• Like 2

Time for another name change and not being a smart ### on that as having "age" in the genre name is just dumb. About as usless as having "alumni" when very few corps of that type are 100% former members. Or even 100% former member of any corps....

"any age that the corps themselves sets"

has a ring to it

Now, if Crown and Gold (or any two existing DCI and DCA corps) were able to form a MUTUALLY BENEFICIAL partnership to create an organization that could better serve a wider variety of people, I would think it would be a wonderful thing.

While I doubt any new organizations will come of it, I don't think it's any secret that Atlanta CV and Spirit of Atlanta are close in a mutually beneficial way.

Interesting discussion, but here I will throw something out.

Cadets 2 has been an interesting experiment. I remember listening to a podcast or two where George mentioned that Cadets 2 competed in DCA because of geography and the weekend only model. He has also mentioned on numerous occasions the inevitable need to change the touring model in DCI. Touring still works for World Class but is a huge strain toward running a successful Open Class corps. So lets say they begin to look at a weekend only model for Open Class. It would be difficult because the numbers in a given 'region' would be relatively sparse at this point. But with a lower cost of operation they might revive or gain some new corps in time. Those weekend only Open Class shows would also give more performance opportunities for the All Age groups outside of the East. Lets say DCI further embraces those groups by either opening up Open Class to All Age or creating it's own All Age Class. Maybe an All Age Class anchored by a perennial powerhouse's sister operation? Hmmm.

Of course some would say it goes against their idea of being a Youth activity, but it seems clear they are open to the idea. The new SoundSport Activity is All Age. Who would have thought we would see All Age corps being judged on DCA sheets at DCI shows? Things change. DCI might not have wanted anything to do with the old beer stained 'Senior Corps' image, but might be all about embracing the sleeker more youthful 'All Age' concept. More corps on the field, More kids involved, including a few kids at heart, more butts in the stands, more revenue.

I guess the question is how would such a move affect DCA? Would participation in either circuit come down to geography? Or philosophy? Interesting thought experiment.

• Like 1

I have said this for years....the old 1970's and before, weekend model is the best for many of the lower tier corps. It makes sense financially and these days that is the big issue. Teal Sound went down due to money as did Glassmen. Look back on even the top corps that folded/disbanded/died and money was probably the key.

This may also help other corps start up in the various regions. 40 years ago NY State had alot of corps and at least one show every weekend. Today, no junior corps and how many shows in NY? One or two and they are DCI shows.

DCA has lasted because of the weekend's only concept (yes I know the older members work during the week). But still, this concept works and it needs to be looked at seriously for the survival of drum corps. Can DCA and DCI work together to encourage the lower tier DCI corps to work with DCA and bolster DCA shows? In the Mid West and California DCI has accomodated DCA corps in shows, how about the same for DCA accomodating DCI corps. I think it is a win/win situation. The DCI corps can still compete at the World Championships if they have the finances. Why not? They can also have a championship at DCA championships. Of course this brings up the extended season that DCA has (going into Labor Day)....could it still work? I think YES!

Interesting discussion, but here I will throw something out.

Cadets 2 has been an interesting experiment. I remember listening to a podcast or two where George mentioned that Cadets 2 competed in DCA because of geography and the weekend only model. He has also mentioned on numerous occasions the inevitable need to change the touring model in DCI. Touring still works for World Class but is a huge strain toward running a successful Open Class corps. So lets say they begin to look at a weekend only model for Open Class. It would be difficult because the numbers in a given 'region' would be relatively sparse at this point. But with a lower cost of operation they might revive or gain some new corps in time. Those weekend only Open Class shows would also give more performance opportunities for the All Age groups outside of the East. Lets say DCI further embraces those groups by either opening up Open Class to All Age or creating it's own All Age Class. Maybe an All Age Class anchored by a perennial powerhouse's sister operation? Hmmm.

Of course some would say it goes against their idea of being a Youth activity, but it seems clear they are open to the idea. The new SoundSport Activity is All Age. Who would have thought we would see All Age corps being judged on DCA sheets at DCI shows? Things change. DCI might not have wanted anything to do with the old beer stained 'Senior Corps' image, but might be all about embracing the sleeker more youthful 'All Age' concept. More corps on the field, More kids involved, including a few kids at heart, more butts in the stands, more revenue.

I guess the question is how would such a move affect DCA? Would participation in either circuit come down to geography? Or philosophy? Interesting thought experiment.

• Like 1