Phantom Regiment 2013 (2)

I don't get the "disjointed" comments.. is it a rule now that shows have to have a continuous flow from beginning to end and tell a story with pieces that fit together with smooth transitions?

Not a rule, but usually a smart idea in show design to make the show flow logically if you're trying to tell some sort of story or take the listener on some sort of "Journey" as it were....

My Phantom phriends in the hornline refer to "Opener," "Chapter Two," etc. Are the drum breaks the curtain opening and closing between Acts I wonder.

it could almost be the story of Joan of Arc ... musically ...

It's been described to me by a phriend as a "female empowerment" type show, so you aren't far off. Also of note, this is the first and only female trumpet soloist Phantom has ever had (second female soloists of the horns). And I would say she's killing it.

• Like 1

It's been described to me by a phriend as a "female empowerment" type show, so you aren't far off. Also of note, this is the first and only female trumpet soloist Phantom has ever had (second female soloists of the horns). And I would say she's killing it.

Knowing Phantom I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't the only one killing something. :3

Edited by thewsquared
  • Like 1

Not a rule, but usually a smart idea in show design to make the show flow logically if you're trying to tell some sort of story or take the listener on some sort of "Journey" as it were....

I didn't really mean if it's an actual "rule", just that it struck me that people commented on it not flowing like it "has to or else". I'm not a fan of, in my perception, the elitist and 'cerebral' mentality in drum corps shows nowadays. I understand it's what the judges want and how they seem to apply the sheets, but out of the realm of DCP i think more fans only get to see a show once than see it multiple times. They aren't doing research ahead-of-time to make sure they "understand" the show. I've been around the activity since 1987, been involved in music and theater in different roles through the years, and consider myself decently knowledgeable but a drum corps show really has never taken me on a "journey" at anything other than a pretty high-level.

I didn't really mean if it's an actual "rule", just that it struck me that people commented on it not flowing like it "has to or else". I'm not a fan of, in my perception, the elitist and 'cerebral' mentality in drum corps shows nowadays. I understand it's what the judges want and how they seem to apply the sheets, but out of the realm of DCP i think more fans only get to see a show once than see it multiple times. They aren't doing research ahead-of-time to make sure they "understand" the show. I've been around the activity since 1987, been involved in music and theater in different roles through the years, and consider myself decently knowledgeable but a drum corps show really has never taken me on a "journey" at anything other than a pretty high-level.

Their show is called "Triumphant Journey" therefore I think the whole point of it is that it should flow together like a story. I know it's not a rule, but I think that's what they're going for with this show. Phantom doesn't seem to fall into the trap of doing super high-brow shows. I trust that they'll present this one in a pretty user-friendly way, but will still have a storyline.

• Like 1

if you listen to the past couple of years' concert in the park the music seems to be disconnected as well ...

Good point ashevillemurphy! I listened to both 2011 and 2012's concerts yesterday. I remember similar comments after the park performances during those years.

if you listen to the past couple of years' concert in the park the music seems to be disconnected as well ...

I'm sure there are transitions to be added and maybe they didn't "play all their cards" yet...

Good point ashevillemurphy! I listened to both 2011 and 2012's concerts yesterday. I remember similar comments after the park performances during those years.

the Juliet flow was much worse early season, as well as spartacus...

...and the violin one, but that one never got much better lol