Phantom Regiment 2013 (2)

I think we need to keep in mind these aren't paid positions we're talking about. The Farrells and the board members have dedicated a great portion of their lives to Phantom. They don't have to do this job. There will come a time when the Farrells have to pass the baton but for now that time hasn't come.

Dan's pay check comes straight from Phantom Regiment. He has no other job anymore.

3rd Glasgow BB, it could not be said better. And it appears I have struck a raw nerve, but I will keep my thoughts to myself in regards to PR.

My attitude about this activity is that if all the corps are not striving to be the best corps on the field, then what's the point? This is a competition, after all. Not one of self indulgence of the fans. And trust me, I know I am in the minority when it comes to this. Every year there is much discussion about what the point of this competition is and to whom the corps should be directing their efforts, the fans or the judges. So.......if the corps efforts are to be directed to the fans, then the whole organization should be changed to just an exhibition, not a competition. And lord knows it would save a #### load of money. Of course we all have our prejudices when it comes to style as do the staffs of the individuals corps. How boring would be if we didn't. And if it is going to be a competition, then fans likes and dislikes should not be the determining factor of ratings. I also think that aside from building character and other sociological traits of the kids, the activity should be an educational experience. A music educational one! I think it's true that a large number, if not most, of the kids are studying music. And what good is education if it does not include new and challenging ideas.

So many people say that if the fans are not being entertained then the money will dry up. If that's true, then maybe DCI needs to do a better job at attracting fans for the right reason.

I dare use the Blue Devils as an example, and they have never been one of my favorite crops. But I do really like their show this year. My point is that their music and marching style is apparently not the favorite among fans, but they do seem to attract some of the most talented kids in the activity. They also have one of the most successful financial support systems in the activity. I think my point is that they are constantly pushing the boundaries and this is not always the most popular with fans but I would venture to say it is by far the most beneficial to the kids. I would imagine in 50 years people will look back on what BD is doing and think of it as being kinda normal, not weird or unappealing.

If you read this far, I guess what I'm trying to say is the activity should be educational, whether in a traditional or non-traditional style, but more importantly it should be pushing the kids experience beyond what they are comfortable with. And god forbid, that we fans might learn something too!!!

With all due respect, I for one, would welcome the bolded section.

I just went back through all 47 pages of this thread and found that every single one of your posts has some negative criticism of the corps, even the performance levels in a couple cases. You go back and forth from justifying a good show as being something that not only requires good placement, but must meet with your own personal blessing. Even that seems to have conflict, (you claim to not like last year, 3rd place, but approved of the 6th place 2007 show.)

It also is pretty clear that your observations are all based on what you have seen from the internet. It doesn't look to me like you have seen the corps live? Not that it would matter, I bet.

There is no doubt you that you seem passionate about PR, and I realize that you want something from them that you are not getting. It is also pretty clear that they aren't going to deliver it to you, at least this year, no matter how many critical posts you put up.

Many of the rest of us are looking forward to WHATEVER they make of this show, freaky puppets and all.

Maybe you could try some more positive posts in the threads of the corps that are pushing their students to the uncomfortable levels you want, after all, there's something for everyone in DCI this year!

• Like 5

I think Dan F has been paid full time for the last couple of years.

The Blue Devils is a fine corps. They also have plenty of angry alumni and former fans.

I think the very nature of drum corp is educational and challenging. All the top corps push their members to their limits. I doubt anyone would say they are comfortable, especially physically.

• Like 2

If Dan's position is now paid then accountability comes into play. Who can hold him accountable? Surely not the board. If that's the case, then from a business perspective I would have a problem with that, especially for the alumni and fans that donate to PR.

This conversation would probably be better served in another thread.

• Like 1

If Dan's position is now paid then accountability comes into play. Who can hold him accountable? Surely not the board. If that's the case, then from a business perspective I would have a problem with that, especially for the alumni and fans that donate to PR.

This conversation would probably be better served in another thread.

I'd agree with that.

Yes, it makes things interesting when there isn't a true set of checks and balances with one brother corps director and the other the BOD president...and the ED caught in the middle.

Thank you for seeing my intentions.

DITTO!

With all due respect, I for one, would welcome the bolded section.

I just went back through all 47 pages of this thread and found that every single one of your posts has some negative criticism of the corps, even the performance levels in a couple cases. You go back and forth from justifying a good show as being something that not only requires good placement, but must meet with your own personal blessing. Even that seems to have conflict, (you claim to not like last year, 3rd place, but approved of the 6th place 2007 show.)

It also is pretty clear that your observations are all based on what you have seen from the internet. It doesn't look to me like you have seen the corps live? Not that it would matter, I bet.

There is no doubt you that you seem passionate about PR, and I realize that you want something from them that you are not getting. It is also pretty clear that they aren't going to deliver it to you, at least this year, no matter how many critical posts you put up.

Many of the rest of us are looking forward to WHATEVER they make of this show, freaky puppets and all.

Maybe you could try some more positive posts in the threads of the corps that are pushing their students to the uncomfortable levels you want, after all, there's something for everyone in DCI this year!

In the first place, how old are you anyway? I dare say I have attended more events, dating back to the 70s.

In the second place, you appear to want to pick a fight. I think my last post clearly states that it has nothing to do with PR's show or it's performance. You have chosen to ignore the point of it as others have I noticed.

My pet peeve is that the activity should be centered around the kids education, and not a way to give educators, and yes in a lot of cases for payment, something to do during the summer months. I wonder how many would be so eager to participate if they were only paid expenses for their time? Or should it be, as I said before, for the fans self indulgence.

Edited by srb30a

It is normal for PR to work on brass sound quality before volume. Last year they did not add volume pushes until around Atlanta as I recall. Kick haults and other enhancements will roll out on their schedule, not ours.

The kids in the corps are having a great time. Most of the fans are too.

It was back in my day, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same holds true now. (As I mentioned on the SA show thread, it seemed like they were holding back, which is pretty normal for this time of year.) About a couple of weeks before finals, Dan F would sprinkle the "magic dust" and bring out the beast.

In the first place I would venture to say I've seen more live shows than you, dating all the way back to the late 70s

I would venture you are wrong...I have been attending shows since the EARLY 70's

Have you seen any shows this year LIVE?

Secondly, you must not have anything to do

Actually that's kinda true, I have the summer off to follow drum corps among some other interests. I was hoping the ten minutes or so I spent would help me understand why you are being so constantly negative. I was going to pass my hard work along in the form of cut and paste, but decided that was not so respectful.

Finally I think I expressed my opinion about this activity fairly clearly which you seem to ignore.

I spent ten minutes...I get your opinion. I haven't ignored your opinion, I just wonder what your motive is? I get you don't like the show and the staff's decisions. I get you have a problem with DF. I don't understand what benefit you gain in complaining about something in virtually every post you make. It's like somebody who doesn't like spinach that keeps eating it and complaining about it. If I like spinach, you are just an irritation. Perhaps you are just hoping for others to start not liking it as much as you?

And believe you me you don't want to pick a fight with me about this!

My intention is not to pick a fight, but I am not intimidated by that statement. I also don't think I am alone in my opinion about the direction you steer this thread. It seems like anytime someone has something nice to say about the corps, you have to chime in with a preachy criticism. I was actually waiting for a snarky reply to the complimentary post of the trumpet soloist. That is not why I come here. I appreciate having a place to discuss the activity, and our shared passion for it. I also find some strange desire to understand things I don't agree with.

Perhaps you can tell me what benefit there is to your constant negativity. I will be happy to listen, as I obviously don't have "anything to do" :thumbup:

• Like 2

I would venture you are wrong...I have been attending shows since the EARLY 70's

Have you seen any shows this year LIVE?

Actually that's kinda true, I have the summer off to follow drum corps among some other interests. I was hoping the ten minutes or so I spent would help me understand why you are being so constantly negative. I was going to pass my hard work along in the form of cut and paste, but decided that was not so respectful.

I spent ten minutes...I get your opinion. I haven't ignored your opinion, I just wonder what your motive is? I get you don't like the show and the staff's decisions. I get you have a problem with DF. I don't understand what benefit you gain in complaining about something in virtually every post you make. It's like somebody who doesn't like spinach that keeps eating it and complaining about it. If I like spinach, you are just an irritation. Perhaps you are just hoping for others to start not liking it as much as you?

My intention is not to pick a fight, but I am not intimidated by that statement. I also don't think I am alone in my opinion about the direction you steer this thread. It seems like anytime someone has something nice to say about the corps, you have to chime in with a preachy criticism. I was actually waiting for a snarky reply to the complimentary post of the trumpet soloist. That is not why I come here. I appreciate having a place to discuss the activity, and our shared passion for it. I also find some strange desire to understand things I don't agree with.

Perhaps you can tell me what benefit there is to your constant negativity. I will be happy to listen, as I obviously don't have "anything to do" :thumbup:/>/>/>

As I amended my comment to say, I have nothing to say about the current show or it's performance. And yes the soloist is very good, and PR's soloists are consistently among the best in the activity.

Oh and to answer your question. I don't have the summer off, but I am fortunate to be the owner of my business and I'm able to attend any of the events I wish. I have seen 4 shows live this year, and will see probably 4 more before finals.

Edited by srb30a