Phantom Regiment 2013 (2)

You'll notice in my response I didn't mention anything about Leadership/Board members needing to go. When things are going good we don't hear a word about them. When things aren't living up to our standards we're quick to throw it on the Farrells and supporting board members. I marched with both of these guys and didn't have the greatest respect for them then but their determination to bring Phantom to the next level has paid off many times.

Who knows if anyoine can do better. A change at the top isn't always the best solution.

My problem, like the year of the Red Violin, is our foresight and reaction time. Knowing and seeing what is necessary to compete for the championship year in and year out is too inconsistent for my taste. The percussion section excuses don't help that view. (If you can't compete in percussion you don't retain members and you're always starting over.)

A down year to me is falling from 1st to 3rd.

Edited by Phantombari1
  • Like 2

Maybe I was at some strange alternative universe show in San Antonio sitting at the bottom of the upper deck near the 50? I was very pleasantly surprised by Regiment. Volume levels and passion are improving rapidly. Huge step forward from just a week ago.

To other recent posts above here:

- I think their drill is OUTSTANDING. Some of the best visual moments in DCI this year, from the opening of the book, to the rotating sword with guard wedge, so real highlights. Now they just need to close that book by Finals at the end (though I love how the book is reprised now at the end).

- The guard is terrific. And from my vantage point Saturday, I felt like they had more equipment work than I realized watching on line. I still wish they had a bit more flag work, but wow, what they have is VERY impactful. I even minded the dancing in the big moments in Nimrod less than I was before.

- Hornline needs to open up more - both in volume and intensity, but as I said above they have improved a great deal in the last week on that front. More, though IS needed.

- I think the drum line cupboard was completely bare when Rennick left. To me they've gotten a bit better each year. Gwaltney needs at least one more year.

- I think the Queen is vitally needed to fill out the show. The execution thereof still needs a lot of work. It IS a fairy tale, though, and I actually think the approach makes sense.

- while it may not be epic like many of my favorite Regiment shows, after Saturday (and not before), still one of may favorite 3-4 shows of the summer - and I know they are far from done.

- The haunted forest sectoin sold better Saturday than I've seen it sell all year, by the way. I just don't like the down ending for that section or it hasn't grown on me yet.

Just my 2 cents,

Harvey

• Like 3

That's just ugly. It's this kind of garbage that gets you all sorts of red minuses. Even worse, the more you jump on every negative comment made about the organization the more credibility you lose as an unbiased contributor. Don't try and candy coat this with how much you like the corps blah,blah,blah. You're just being nasty because you have it out for a particular person in the Regiment organization. Why don't you just put your big boy pants on and clear the air directly with that staff member and spare us your incessant harping?

Give it a rest!

Yeah, yeah, yeah......i hear you. credibility is mediocrity in your opinion.

• Like 1

Yeah, yeah, yeah......i hear you. credibility is mediocrity in your opinion.

What???? Get real.

- I think their drill is OUTSTANDING. Some of the best visual moments in DCI this year, from the opening of the book, to the rotating sword with guard wedge, so real highlights. Now they just need to close that book by Finals at the end (though I love how the book is reprised now at the end).

I'd say "this drill is what we expect from PR." I don't think it's outstanding or as good as last year, but I think it's generally fine. The book opening is cheesy but a great and effective idea. While I think the guard wedge is effective in highlighting the warrior princess, it's also a little played out (e.g., 2006 PR, 1999 Gmen, 2000 Gmen, all of which were Jamey Thompson designs). I would always like to see a little more "wow factor" in PR's drill (e.g., some high velocity geometric stuff during a drum feature), but I'm fine accepting that it's not their style. Without hesitation, regardless of any negativity that gets thrown at PR's visual design this year, I will personally plead for no changes to the visual design staff.

- while it may not be epic like many of my favorite Regiment shows, after Saturday (and not before), still one of may favorite 3-4 shows of the summer - and I know they are far from done.

Concurred!

• Like 1

I'd say "this drill is what we expect from PR." I don't think it's outstanding or as good as last year, but I think it's generally fine. The book opening is cheesy but a great and effective idea. While I think the guard wedge is effective in highlighting the warrior princess, it's also a little played out (e.g., 2006 PR, 1999 Gmen, 2000 Gmen, all of which were Jamey Thompson designs). I would always like to see a little more "wow factor" in PR's drill (e.g., some high velocity geometric stuff during a drum feature), but I'm fine accepting that it's not their style. Without hesitation, regardless of any negativity that gets thrown at PR's visual design this year, I will personally plead for no changes to the visual design staff.

Probably because someone is being told what to write and what not to write.

I wouldn't be shocked if the visual side of things changes next year...from designer to guard staff.

Probably because someone is being told what to write and what not to write.

Do you mean like the Program Director...um...well...directing the program? I kinda thought the program director or coordinator was the person that called the design shots to a certain degree.

Man...I don't understand all the bitterness that is coming through a couple individuals, seemingly pointed at one person. It really is a downer to try and appreciate anything they are doing and have it carved up with constant negativity. Luckily, I can see things for myself quite a few times in the next couple weeks. Maybe then I will understand?

• Like 1

Can I just say, their soprano soloist that is featured in the opener and closer is fantastic! :thumbup:/>

^^^THIS! She plays beautifully, can project without a mic and is a wonderful person to boot!

• Like 2

Do you mean like the Program Director...um...well...directing the program? I kinda thought the program director or coordinator was the person that called the design shots to a certain degree.

Man...I don't understand all the bitterness that is coming through a couple individuals, seemingly pointed at one person. It really is a downer to try and appreciate anything they are doing and have it carved up with constant negativity. Luckily, I can see things for myself quite a few times in the next couple weeks. Maybe then I will understand?

You'd think one would hire a talented staff and let them do what they needed in order to produce a show instead of having their hands-tied or being forced into things they didn't want to do. There's a difference between calling the shots/editing and strangling people until you get the answer you want.

Edited by chaos001