Phantom Regiment 2013 (2)

When I first heard months ago that there were going to be puppets in the show, I about lost my lunch. Sounds like I'll need a dose or two of Phenergan.

It was one of my biggest WTF moments if the night. Somebody on the design staff really needs to lay off the crack. It just sits in the backfield and wiggles back and forth a bit, not looking the least bit scary. Just goofy. (I say all this with love. Tough love, but love nonetheless. I'm an alum of the corps and just want them to be awesome, not silly.)

• Like 5

The execution of the Evil Queen is one thing. But as she is (or should be) a key part of why things occur on the field I find it strange that she is being introduced 3 weeks before the end of the season and not earlier.

It's like doing a production based on the Titanic and introducing the iceberg 3 weeks before the production ends (yes I know - a stretched analogy).

The execution of the Evil Queen is one thing. But as she is (or should be) a key part of why things occur on the field I find it strange that she is being introduced 3 weeks before the end of the season and not earlier.

It's like doing a production based on the Titanic and introducing the iceberg 3 weeks before the production ends (yes I know - a stretched analogy).

So you're saying that this show is going to tank?

Any earlier and it would melt before finals week.

• Like 1

As an alumni I am very disappointed with the show and how (IMO) the talent has been wasted. To be more clear the biggest issue is the percussion but the rest of the sections also play a part.

The percussion has not made any significant progress since Shane Gwaltney joined. His talent is not to be denied (Music City Mystique) but from my perspective he has proven he is not a good fit for Phantom. Solidly placed in the 7th spot their performance last year kept them from a title or at the very least a real shot at the title. This year has been no different than previous years results. If they have any aspirations to make it to the top again they will need to find a competent replacement.

Brass and Color Guard...I view their performance this year as a direct copy of my theater experience when the staff won't turn up the volume and the picture isn't clear. Absolutely none of the blame here goes on the kids. This all falls on the staff.

Drill: is very lackluster and doesn't come close to the corps above them in terms of difficulty or creativity.

Brass: has been muted to the point that the corps below them all seem like power houses. I'm mean seriously, Phantom with no power?

Color guard: The color guard seems to be an after thought this year. So much talent so little challenge.

I know some will come on claiming they're saving it for the end but if that's the case we're almost to the to little to late stage.

For me the leadership and staff have taken the kids and their fans for granted. In my opinion as an alumni and fan, we expect to compete for the championship every year, but we'll accept an incredible, earth shattering, and baby throwing performance.

2 points behind 4th place...seriously?

Edited by Phantombari1
  • Like 3

As an alumni I am very disappointed with the show and how (IMO) the talent has been wasted. To be more clear the biggest issue is the percussion but the rest of the sections also play a part.

The percussion has not made any significant progress since Shane Gwaltney joined. His talent is not to be denied (Music City Mystique) but from my perspective he has proven he is not a good fit for Phantom. Solidly placed in the 7th spot their performance last year kept them from a title or at the very least a real shot at the title. This year has been no different than previous years results. If they have any aspirations to make it to the top again they will need to find a competent replacement.

Brass and Color Guard...I view their performance this year as a direct copy of my theater experience when the staff won't turn up the volume and the picture isn't clear. Absolutely none of the blame here goes on the kids. This all falls on the staff.

Drill: is very lackluster and doesn't come close to the corps above them in terms of difficulty or creativity.

Brass: has been muted to the point that the corps below them all seem like power houses. I'm mean seriously, Phantom with no power?

Color guard: The color guard seems to be an after thought this year. So much talent so little challenge.

I know some will come on claiming they're saving it for the end but if that's the case we're almost to the to little to late stage.

For me the leadership and staff have taken the kids and their fans for granted. In my opinion as an alumni and fan, we expect to compete for the championship every year, but we'll accept an incredible, earth shattering, and baby throwing performance.

2 points behind 4th place...seriously?

I agree with a lot of this. I do love their drill, however.

• Like 1