Phantom Regiment 2013 (2)

You'd think one would hire a talented staff and let them do what they needed in order to produce a show instead of having their hands-tied or being forced into things they didn't want to do. There's a difference between calling the shots/editing and strangling people until you get the answer you want.

Do you have any specific details about this? Or is this just speculation on your part?

Man... You sound like a bitter Betty. Did you ask to teach/design for Regiment, and then get turned down? You obviously have some sort of personal vendetta, and the way you deal with it is by talking trash on the Internet... Sad.

• Like 2

Do you have any specific details about this? Or is this just speculation on your part?

Man... You sound like a bitter Betty. Did you ask to teach/design for Regiment, and then get turned down? You obviously have some sort of personal vendetta, and the way you deal with it is by talking trash on the Internet... Sad.

I'm not sure what happened to Chaos. But I have to agree with you on the Bitter Betty comment. There is good reason it's referred to as phamily,complete with the occasional crazy aunt/uncle. Get my drift Chaos, srb30a? ;-)

It's a shame the efforts of the marching members are being overshadowed by the grudges these two have. Nothing makes me prouder than to read show reviews that point out the changes are taking shape and the corps continues to improve and how they connect with their audiences. Isn't that what the activity is essentially all about? Working together to succeed and please do NOT confuse succeed with medaling. No amount of carping about this prop or that design flaw will change my mind about the Regiment this year. They will succeed in spite of your negativity.

It has been my honor to be a part of the organization for 40+ years from marching member to board member and I've come to respect what the Regiment represents on many levels. I owe my success in life to the hard work my brothers and sisters shared putting this corps on the map. May the corps continue to engage,develop, and inspire future marching members. It's an experience of a lifetime!

SUTA

• Like 4

I'm not sure what happened to Chaos. But I have to agree with you on the Bitter Betty comment. There is good reason it's referred to as phamily,complete with the occasional crazy aunt/uncle. Get my drift Chaos, srb30a? ;-)

It's a shame the efforts of the marching members are being overshadowed by the grudges these two have. Nothing makes me prouder than to read show reviews that point out the changes are taking shape and the corps continues to improve and how they connect with their audiences. Isn't that what the activity is essentially all about? Working together to succeed and please do NOT confuse succeed with medaling. No amount of carping about this prop or that design flaw will change my mind about the Regiment this year. They will succeed in spite of your negativity.

It has been my honor to be a part of the organization for 40+ years from marching member to board member and I've come to respect what the Regiment represents on many levels. I owe my success in life to the hard work my brothers and sisters shared putting this corps on the map. May the corps continue to engage,develop, and inspire future marching members. It's an experience of a lifetime!

SUTA

don't let srb30a get to you. He does this every year.

Probably because someone is being told what to write and what not to write.

I wouldn't be shocked if the visual side of things changes next year...from designer to guard staff.

"probably", wow, seems like you have some good inside information. :blink:

It is normal for PR to work on brass sound quality before volume. Last year they did not add volume pushes until around Atlanta as I recall. Kick haults and other enhancements will roll out on their schedule, not ours.

The kids in the corps are having a great time. Most of the fans are too.

I think we need to keep in mind these aren't paid positions we're talking about. The Farrells and the board members have dedicated a great portion of their lives to Phantom. They don't have to do this job. There will come a time when the Farrells have to pass the baton but for now that time hasn't come.

• Like 2

A few points...

I think Chaos & srb30a both want The Regiment to do better...... our opinions may differ on how we get there but ultimately we all want the same thing, lets not forget that.

I don't think for one second either of them is having a pop at the kids. We all have opinions and by definition an opinion is neither right nor wrong... it's just an opinion.

As for the brass volume, you're all Regiment Phans, have you never heard of "Adding White Heat"... be patient.

• Like 3

I think we need to keep in mind these aren't paid positions we're talking about. The Farrells and the board members have dedicated a great portion of their lives to Phantom. They don't have to do this job. There will come a time when the Farrells have to pass the baton but for now that time hasn't come.

I don't have any knowledge of this organization outside of opinions that I read on this forum.

However, a story that may relate: Boone Pickens has donated $165 million to the athletic department of Oklahoma State University. With that donation (supposedly made because he wants to see OSU succeed), he expects influence. Incredible influence - firing athletic directors, firing coaches, directing how the money is to be handled, holding the university hostage to his requests, etc. (and there's plenty of etc).

If what I read on this forum is true (and I have no idea if it is, but it comes from several sources), then dedicating "a great portion of their lives" seems to equate to "ruling the organization as they see fit." That's no way to run an organization (just as the OSU shouldn't be held captive by the money of one donor, no matter how big the pile of money is) - it's not healthy and it shouldn't be excused. But at least at OSU, the people being pushed around by Pickens are padding their bank accounts (a good motivator to fall in line) - that's not happening at a drum corps.

I'm not suggesting these folks should "pass the baton," but if there are extreme egos involved, then they should be kept in check.

• Like 1

3rd Glasgow BB, it could not be said better. And it appears I have struck a raw nerve, but I will keep my thoughts to myself in regards to PR.

My attitude about this activity is that if all the corps are not striving to be the best corps on the field, then what's the point? This is a competition, after all. Not one of self indulgence of the fans. And trust me, I know I am in the minority when it comes to this. Every year there is much discussion about what the point of this competition is and to whom the corps should be directing their efforts, the fans or the judges. So.......if the corps efforts are to be directed to the fans, then the whole organization should be changed to just an exhibition, not a competition. And lord knows it would save a #### load of money. Of course we all have our prejudices when it comes to style as do the staffs of the individuals corps. How boring would be if we didn't. And if it is going to be a competition, then fans likes and dislikes should not be the determining factor of ratings. I also think that aside from building character and other sociological traits of the kids, the activity should be an educational experience. A music educational one! I think it's true that a large number, if not most, of the kids are studying music. And what good is education if it does not include new and challenging ideas.

So many people say that if the fans are not being entertained then the money will dry up. If that's true, then maybe DCI needs to do a better job at attracting fans for the right reason.

I dare use the Blue Devils as an example, and they have never been one of my favorite crops. But I do really like their show this year. My point is that their music and marching style is apparently not the favorite among fans, but they do seem to attract some of the most talented kids in the activity. They also have one of the most successful financial support systems in the activity. I think my point is that they are constantly pushing the boundaries and this is not always the most popular with fans but I would venture to say it is by far the most beneficial to the kids. I would imagine in 50 years people will look back on what BD is doing and think of it as being kinda normal, not weird or unappealing.

If you read this far, I guess what I'm trying to say is the activity should be educational, whether in a traditional or non-traditional style, but more importantly it should be pushing the kids experience beyond what they are comfortable with. And god forbid, that we fans might learn something too!!!

Edited by srb30a
  • Like 1

A few points...

I think Chaos & srb30a both want The Regiment to do better...... our opinions may differ on how we get there but ultimately we all want the same thing, lets not forget that.

I don't think for one second either of them is having a pop at the kids. We all have opinions and by definition an opinion is neither right nor wrong... it's just an opinion.

As for the brass volume, you're all Regiment Phans, have you never heard of "Adding White Heat"... be patient.

Thank you for seeing my intentions.

• Like 1