TOC/G7 Related Discussion

Change isn't an option. It's not some insidious plot to deprive DCP fans of their birthright. It's a necessity for DCI and drum corps fans. The status quo means doom. And casting all those with alternative visions as villains is short-sighted, even dumb. As regrettable as some might find the G7 approach, equally regrettable has to be this reflex to sustain the current situation.

Was DCI's five-year plan an attempt to "sustain the current situation"?

• Like 1

Adding Slingerland to the list of folks I hope to sit next to at finals.

Change isn't an option. It's not some insidious plot to deprive DCP fans of their birthright. It's a necessity for DCI and drum corps fans. The status quo means doom. And casting all those with alternative visions as villians is short-sighted, even dumb. As regrettable as some might find the G7 approach, equally regrettable has to be this reflex to sustain the current situation.

HH

Jeesh, H, get two double beds at least! :tongue:/>/>

Change happens. I think we all get that. And many of us agree that a change has to happen lest the perpetual decline continue.

But those who disagree with Dan's and Slingerland's approach are not, therefore, stuck in the status quo. (And if you're so certain that the status quo means certain doom I'll ask you the same question: Where's the market going to close tomorrow?)

I don't think they are villians at all (although I'm less convinced they're not shills, knowingly or not). I just don't believe their path forward is the correct one to spur the change that seems needed.

But, I'll tell ya', if they both start talking about "relevance" I'm really going to get freaked out.

You don't want to sit by me at finals? Aww, can I be on your list, too?

:grouphug:/>

Edited by garfield

I realize you were referencing Dan's comments but the bolded above, which apparently reflect your views, is nearly verbatim of what Dan said in prior posts. And I mean down to the phrases.

So I wonder if you two are being fed the same talking points; you both seemed ultra-concerned about not being branded elitists, and use words and phrases that are eerily similar. Granted, it's possible for two people, literally on opposite sides of the world, to view the activity the same way (Dan and I have done it many times here), but you two sound like you're reading off the same cue cards.

Add in that your shared comments are remarkably similar to comments coming from the Seven inside the DCI Board room and... well...

I'll just leave it there for now.

No one is feeding me any talking points. If anything, the situation is exactly the opposite. I tend to be a bit more disruptive than I am obedient... and where do you think the whole "Drum Corps IS Marching Band" thing came from in the first place? :-)

and where do you think the whole "Drum Corps IS Marching Band" thing came from in the first place?

MikeD.

• Like 3

I realize you were referencing Dan's comments but the bolded above, which apparently reflect your views, is nearly verbatim of what Dan said in prior posts. And I mean down to the phrases.

So I wonder if you two are being fed the same talking points; you both seemed ultra-concerned about not being branded elitists, and use words and phrases that are eerily similar. Granted, it's possible for two people, literally on opposite sides of the world, to view the activity the same way (Dan and I have done it many times here), but you two sound like you're reading off the same cue cards.

Add in that your shared comments are remarkably similar to comments coming from the Seven inside the DCI Board room and... well...

I'll just leave it there for now.

OK...we've got ours...

conspiracy_cat.jpg

Cat-in-tinfoil-hat.jpg

Would you like to pick one too? :tongue:/>/>

Plain?

tinfoil_hat_time_card-p137922640562103695bflbv_400.jpg

...or Fancy?

tinfoil%2Bhat.jpg

• Like 1

Correction to your claim: You are suggesting DCI giving them 'the back of' your hand (as well as giving them the finger after the whack of slapping them out of DCI)! You do not want DCI to give non-elite corps, those who are currently within DCI and any new non-elite up-starts, any services at all; and your solution for them is for DCI is to put them out on the curb to fend for themselves. No matter how you want to spin yourself into delusional thinking by believing you really want to help those corps, you do not.

A bit overdramatic, no?

Anyway, got a camp to prep for... one guy on Cavaliers drum staff is flying in to teach this weekend. First time that anyone from any drum corps has ever taught a line in the former Soviet Union. Going to be fun.

BTW - my little corps is about as far from elite as you can possibly get.

Adding Slingerland to the list of folks I hope to sit next to at finals.

Change isn't an option. It's not some insidious plot to deprive DCP fans of their birthright. It's a necessity for DCI and drum corps fans. The status quo means doom. And casting all those with alternative visions as villians is short-sighted, even dumb. As regrettable as some might find the G7 approach, equally regrettable has to be this reflex to sustain the current situation.

HH

Nobody that I'm aware of is requesting " the status quo " as just about everyone agrees it seems to me that DCI needs to change its modus operandi if it has any realistic chance of growing its fan base. For its part, DCI has initiated 2 new creative ventures in the last 6 months alone in hopes of broadening its reach into potentially new areas with potentially new fans added to its fan base as a result of the new additional " product " offerings for its " customers ". So DCI certainly recognizes that it has to change as well. So I'm really not sure where you believe that there is a large element out there that does not believe that changes don't need to occur if DCI hopes to grow. The question is not to change or not the change. Pretty much everyone is on board that DCI needs to change. The question is WHAT changes have the best chance to attain what presumably we all want.... growth of the activity, growth of the fan base, increased revenue streams.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Change isn't an option. It's not some insidious plot to deprive DCP fans of their birthright. It's a necessity for DCI and drum corps fans.

Dare I ask why?

The status quo means doom.

Dare I ask why?

And casting all those with alternative visions as villians is short-sighted, even dumb.

If I ask why, does that mean I just cast you as a villain?

As regrettable as some might find the G7 approach, equally regrettable has to be this reflex to sustain the current situation.

So who wants to sustain the current situation? I think everyone wants some sort of change. But it needs to be a wise, thoroughly thought out change.