TOC/G7 Related Discussion

garfield,

I'm not worried about the band directors being against anything seen as SUPERBAND, ULTIMATE BAND, etc. for the same reason high school theater directors still do bus trips to Broadway. Both can be what they are.

MikeD.... Last week you stated on DCP that you were adamant that no Corps should have the right to restict in any manner whatsover a marcher's choice to audition with another Corps. Now here you are today in full suppport of a BAND Director's authority to not only restrict a Corps member, but to actually deny the marcher from participating.... (in their own summers when school is off too)...... in DCI Drum Corps at all. My gosh... do you even realize the hypocrisy in such a position ?

I never suggested a person should be able to march in two places at once.

Note that I said: "if they have a band program where band camp overlaps the drum corps season, they do indeed have the power to dictate what their students can do in the summer".

No they don't. They need to show how their brand is BETTER than Kleenex. They need to emphasize what DIFFERENTIATES and is UNIQUE about their product.

Here's a sales pitch: "We're exactly like Kleenex! Same quality, same price. Try us!"

Why would you bother?

Why go see the best??? Why bother going to a show on Broadway. Just go to your local HS or Community theater.

Note that I said: "if they have a band program where band camp overlaps the drum corps season, they do indeed have the power to dictate what their students can do in the summer".

No, they don't.

Whatever attendance requirement a high school (or college) director places on his students, it's still the student's choice to participate or not. I've known plenty of corps members who went to schools where that was the policy, and they told the director to get stuffed.

Frankly, I have zero respect for directors that try and stop their students in participating in drum corps because they might miss band activities in the summer. I think it does the band program as a whole a major disservice.

• Like 2

No they don't. They need to show how their brand is BETTER than Kleenex. They need to emphasize what DIFFERENTIATES and is UNIQUE about their product.

Here's a sales pitch: "We're exactly like Kleenex! Same quality, same price. Try us!"

Why would you bother?

Maybe it's:

Identify your (unknown, niche) product relative to a familiar product ("marching band -- oh I know what that is!") and then place it at the pinnacle of the product category. Of course no one's ever seen that sort of strategy work...

Edited by corpsband

The more accepted DCI is by the scholastic music programs (i.e. band directors), the more those directors will bring busloads of kids to shows...BITS.

I don't think there can be much dispute that if we put on a graph the increase of recognition by the School Band Directors of DCI Marching Bands that the line on the graph would show a downward curve in the numbers of participants in todays DCI Marching Bands vs. that of ( for example ) DCI Drum Corps of the 70's and 80's. We had many more participants in DCI Drum Corps in earlier eras than we have today, despite the MUCH better recognition within the School Band Community nationwide today AND the fact that more and more of today's DCI Marching Bands are utilizing the instrumention that they are most familiar with in their own school's Marching Band. DCI has had great success being accepted more and more into the school Marching Band fraternity since DCI was founded. I don't think there's much dispute on this either. However, regrettably, this has not led to more participation in sheer numbers for DCI, nor has it stemmed the loss of fans overall since DCI once had Drum & Bugle Corps competing and entertaining the public in the earlier periods of ( for example ) the 70's, 80's.

Edited by BRASSO

Maybe it's:

Identify your (unknown, niche) product relative to a familiar product ("marching band -- oh I know what that is!") and then place it at the pinnacle of the product category. Of course no one's ever seen that sort of strategy work...

If true... and I believe it to be so... that " Marching Band " as a name brand is much more familiar with people, then one would think that DCI should be marketing these units as " Marching Bands " to the public. But they havn't up to now. Why do you suppose this is ? and secondly, would you be in favor of DCI marketing these units as " Marching Bands " to the the schools and to the public at large ?

Edited by BRASSO

BRASSO,

You are correct. The "band only" emphasis has not worked as well as planned. I'm not surprised. Band kids have no money, and their parents have no real interest in their kid's band, other than their own kid being involved at the moment. It's like the ever-changing school cafeteria staffs. Who was the Cub Scout den mother, etc. The mom's who just can't let go.

New money needs to come from someplace else. Hopefully, our product becomes generic, and appealing enough to bring that in with less effort. This must NOT be just about us.

Edited by Fred Windish

If true... and I believe it to be so... that " Marching Band " as a name brand is much more familiar with people, then one would think that DCI should be marketing these units as " Marching Bands " to the public. But they havn't up to now. Why do you suppose this is ? and secondly, would you be in favor of DCI marketing these units as " Marching Bands " to the the schools and to the public at large ?

I find it pretty funny to see everyone here running so freaking hard from the label.