TOC/G7 Related Discussion

rock.gif

..."Homey don't play dat"...

true. I've questioned the legitimacy of my number. it's way too high

Much to the surprise of Stu, I didn't pay attention to his ratings last week.

I'd love to know how he did it (if he actually did), and whether this is Ream's secret as well.

tongue.gif/>

dude, Ream couldn't give a #### what his red/green count is. I hadn't looked in months til you brought it up in here. i think it's waty too high and may decide to accuse DCP mods of manipulating it.

:rolleyes:/>

really...red mark, green mark, I;'m the same ######## either way. I could care less. And Dan gets off on being hated, so whatever floats his boat up a Lithuanian river.

Just curiopus though....if he's such a shrewd business man, why isn't he making his billions in the US?

• Like 4

Be careful with Ream. His wife's a sweetheart, though. What was she thinking?

"well, I like him a lot...no I love him. And marrying him will cause Fred to take shots at him on DCP"

In Jeff Ream's case his positive rep is due to the following:

1. More posts than the rest of DCP put together.

2. He generally makes good sense when he posts.

3. Does not come off as a know-it-all "Super Businessman" that could single-handedly save drums corps but chooses not to.

1) it's the OT forums

2) yeah but it gets me called an ########. I'm ok with that though

3) hell no, Allentown is 90 minutes away

Lower the cost of tickets.

Generate additional revenue from non-drum corps sources (i've elaborated on this loads of times)... in order to return more money to the corps... with the goal of lowering the cost of participation... to get more talented kids participating that is sitting on the sidelines for financial reasons.... to increase the parity of corps top to bottom... to make it more competitive... to increase the level of interest.

Also, it is not about making more money from the gate, it is about revenue diversification. I've gone on and on about this. There is nothing new to say here.

That all sounds great. But how do you make that happen?

We have already returned more money to some corps (generally the higher ranking ones). But they do not use it to lower the cost of participation. They instead use it to buy better equipment and entrench their competitive standing.

I think we all would like to see more kids doing drum corps. I also think we would all like to see greater parity. The tough part is HOW. For me, I think the two are linked - greater parity would cause more kids to march in a greater number of corps. The opposite school of thought is the idea of continuing to raise the size limit. Sure, more kids could march in the top corps if they had 200 members each, but the increased disparity of that move would wipe out enough other corps to cancel out the gains.

You know a thing or two about incentives. Any more specific ideas on how to make these things happen?

• Like 1

Already there are more kids involved in WGI... because it is a lot more progressive and in a lot of ways a lot more interesting.

I think the reason more kids are involved in WGI is because there are far more competing groups, and that is because:

a. they are much cheaper to operate

b. the scholastic groups have obvious advantages in funding, recruiting, facilities and equipment over independent groups

LOL...WGI has a lot of adults in the stands too.

True; but WGI does not really promote itself to adults outside of those who are already associated with WGI either by having a kid involved or by being involved themselves when they were kids. WGI seems to be content on being a niche activity, and not trying to expand interest to the uninitiated 'general adult world of entertainment'.

The initial comments I've heard coming out of Chicago this weekend are all unanimous (so far) that the meetings were very cordial and congenial, that they covered lots of ground, it was productive and hopeful, and that they came away with a renewed emphasis on pushing their respective ED's to find a way to compromise and work together en-masse for the benefit of the entire activity. This is all good news.

But it got me to thinking...

As I understand them, the DCI by-laws are written such that the corps organizations, as entities, have seats on the DCI BOD, not necessarily the on-field corps director. As such, each corps' BOD chooses who their representative will be on the DCI BOD, despite the fact that all corps now provide the "on the field" director as that representative.

If there is truly a renewed emphasis on finding ways to get along among the individual corps boards, and if their chosen reps to the DCI BOD are failing in that effort to find common ground with a willingness to compromise and cooperate, then it's feasable that each/any/all of the individual corps boards may choose to have a different individual, not specifically the corps director, represent their corps on the DCI BOD.

I wonder if DCI executives have reinforced this point about how the by-laws are written to the individual corps and their boards?

And I wonder if having a different representative of each corps on the DCI BOD would change the dynamic among the collective, and might, in fact, be a step in the direction of having professional board members on the DCI Board...

Just wondering...

• Like 1

If OC corps really wanted to grow into programs that would have the best talent... they would take a farming approach vs. hunting and gathering.

Right now, too many corps out there have this hunting and gathering approach and are completely dependent on the quality of the school programs in the local area. If they started farming their own talent when the kids were 6-7 years old and figured out how to keep them, they'd have monster players down the road and a steady pipeline of talent.

Why are Trooper, for example, focused on getting every single kid in Casper learning to march and play from the time they start elementary school? There is absolutely nothing else for kids to do there... should be a perfect opportunity for them to grow talent. Isn't that how they used to do it anyway?

Yes. But people like you poo-poo every historical idea as stuck in the 1970s.

By the way, a couple of things have changed since the 1970s.

a. Because corps are no longer made up of exclusively local members, they are no longer dependent on the quality of school music programs in their locale, as you said above.

b. Because kids so often move from corps to corps, those groups who run (or in most cases, ran) feeder corps found they were no longer training kids for their own parent corps. Consequently, many stopped operating feeder corps.

There are sponsors out there.... no one has ever really approached them. They think they'll say no or don't think they can approach them, so no one has ever really tried.

There are opportunities out there. I have a few in mind. Major brands. Plan is to try to get some potential sponsors to finals this year (really tough since DCI holds finals out in the middle of ####### nowhere.... how does it make sense to have finals where there are no major media outlets, no major ad agency hubs or no major corporations???).

Finals need to get the hell out of Indiana and rotate between NYC, Atlanta, Chicago and LA. How do you expect to get major media exposure or major sponsors when you are nowhere near where they are?

We have a perfectly good event staged in Atlanta. Just take the sponsors there.

• Like 1