TOC/G7 Related Discussion

Much to the surprise of Stu, I didn't pay attention to his ratings last week.

I'd love to know how he did it (if he actually did), and whether this is Ream's secret as well.

:tongue:/>/>

In Jeff Ream's case his positive rep is due to the following:

1. More posts than the rest of DCP put together.

2. He generally makes good sense when he posts.

3. Does not come off as a know-it-all "Super Businessman" that could single-handedly save drums corps but chooses not to.

• Like 1

Here's one that might somehow tie back into the thread...

Mine was a 1980 Honda Prelude... which I got the week before I turned 16. Drove it out California to audition for SCV, but still didn't have a license, only a permit (16th birthday was in the middle of camp)... so, took turns driving with my mother.

On the way back my mother was trying to sleep, but apparently had a very uncomfortable bra... so took it off (through that weird David Copperfield #### that women do... pulling it out the sleeve) and threw it in the glove box.

The next day after I was back, I got my license and then went to take my girlfriend out for a drive. She started to get nosy and opened the glove box and found this bra. Either way... it was a losing situation... as it would be far too weird to say it belonged to my mother. She freaked out... thinking that I was with some other girl.

So, turned 16, got a new car, got cut from SCV, broke up with a girlfriend... all in a matter of a 3 days. :)

...the haunting question remains; what happened to your mother's bra?!!??!!! :blink:/>

...the haunting question remains; what happened to your mother's bra?!!??!!! :blink:

Submit a bid. :lol:

Hardly sounds like "make fun" talk, Stu. But I can play...

You have 4100 posts and only plus 460 or so rating. LOSER!

(Just making fun, of course. :tongue:/>/>)

Not a loser because.... it is my contention that many who give me those red monsters on DCP are wise, and intelligent, and kind enough to read, and comply, with my tag line; and I still have 460+ green boogers! :w00t:

I think I've explained this a billon times...

It is entirely pointless that DCI wastes all of its capabilities and potential on just running drum corps shows.

DCI should own a year round highly-diverse event and media production company. Stadium events (concert tours, monster truck pulls, whatever), corporate events, corporate media production and so on. Use those capabilities to generate 5 times more revenues, with 3 times more delivered back to the corps.

DCI is like this thirsty village with only one bucket and only one well... that spends so much of their time and energy figure out how to ration their limited water supply... rather than digging new wells or exploring new sources.

well Dan, honestly, unless you're willing to post specifics, not your usual yada yada about how you plan to save DCI, no one takes you seriously outside of maybe a few corps directors you have past ties to

No. It is not only music... it is ATTITUDE.

I want drum corps to be less geeky, more leather.... less golf shirt, more bad###.

Drum corps simply needs to be more bad### all around.

Costuming isn't helping... looks like a Star Trek convention.

Nothing wrong with feathers.... feathers can be bad###. A fine line..

Genius Dan! You want it to appeal to youth, by promotion sex drugs and rock n roll!

great way to reel em in

:rolleyes:/>

This particular situation is not either/or; it is a needed balance. Focus too much, or all, on the adults and not many youth would want to take part; focus too much, or all, on the youth and adults will not support the activity to the level some desire it to be. I agree that the youth need to be interested in the corps activity to want to go audition for the units; on the flip side, the adults pay most of the dues for their kids to participate, the adults pay for the flights, the adults buy the tickets to sit in the audience, the adults pay for the motels, the adults take time off from work to go to DCI Finals; you cannot focus on the youth and disregard the adults who are the ones sitting in the stands and the with the actual expendable capital.

If that is the case, DCA is also ran better than DCI (and both WGI and DCA are weekend warrior activities). DCI in your model, therefore, should follow those organizations by downsizing touring, performance, and venues instead of expanding.

LOL...WGI has a lot of adults in the stands too.

I was only talking about design aspects... and how WGI is actually run... lean and mean... and built on top of scholastic network.

To me, DCA is very silly... a bunch of guys out there trying to relive their youth (yeah, yeah... guys will point out that there are younger kids involved now... etc. save it). If there are adults involved on the performance side... at all... it is never anything I will get into.... just the same way I have no interest in watching an adult softball league.

true we will point it out. After all, can't let you keep lying

You need to lead with drumming. Drumming can actually become mainstream.

Here is part of the problem though... some truth here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hghWBUBhZrw

Too many drum corps are trying to be too much the same. Are playing music that is from too narrow a source and are all moving in too similar a way. Needs to be much more variety.

blame the guys that make fun of trotting out the music of dead white guys...then trot out the music of dead white guys.

but remember they know how to save the activity, even if they have to threaten to leave it

Not flip-flopping.... you're just not connecting the dots. :-)

I am suggesting that Troopers could do well to start farming in addition to the recruiting they are doing.

circles don't have dots, and that's all you talk in

• Like 1