TOC/G7 Related Discussion

your point of view is always from the top down, we are discussing an activity that is in the business of building young men and women,...........not just an elite group of them,..............

I'm talking about a business as a business. If money changes hands, and someone pays cash for a product, it's a business.

DCI is there to sell events and distribute funds, however best they can. The rest of their mission is contingent on them doing a kicka__ job of selling and distributing. They DO this so that the drum corps can afford to stay in the business of providing a place where teenagers and college aged musicians can have a place to push themselves to a level of excellence they can't touch in the rest of the world.

I'm sorry, but there's no credible evidence out there to show that the biggest 14 or 18 or 20 corps are going to scale themselves back to doing a 6 day tour on a school bus with a bread truck to haul all the equipment. That being the case, I don't waste time pining over an ideal that can't and won't ever happen. National tours cost what they cost, and the amounts being spent by most of the full-summer tour corps are fairly consistent across the spectrum. Either DCI has to find a way to increase the amount of revenue coming in OR come up with a marketing strategy that increases the overall exposure for the drum corps at all levels (so that individual corps can leverage that exposure to sell their own products better), but hoping that the corps whose presence sells most of those tickets DCI uses to stay in business that they have to turn themselves back into mom and pop corps from the 60s isn't the solution.

Edited by Slingerland

DCI is there to sell events and distribute funds, however best they can. The rest of their mission is contingent on them doing a kicka__ job of selling and distributing. They DO this so that the drum corps can afford to stay in the business of providing a place where teenagers and college aged musicians can have a place to push themselves to a level of excellence they can't touch in the rest of the world.

look, we are all here because we love drum corps, not just a few of them,........read what you wrote,............ the return to the corps from DCI scratches the surface, and not much more,...............they don't it do so people can afford to do drum corps either,............because the activity is pricing itself out of existance,.............WC is a rich kids game,..........and if you think drum corps is the only place that one can push themselves to musical excellence, you are dreadfully mistaken,..............try finding a paying gig where you can run around and play a blur of notes intending to resemble a legitimate musical work of genious,............they just aren't out there,.........

Edited by Gary Matczak

And this " lack of money " is because of what, Dan ?

Because DCI didn't bump Pioneer down to open class. Haven't you been following along?

• Like 3

turn themselves back into mom and pop corps from the 60s isn't the solution.

Not only is this not " a solution ", its now impossible. The " changes " that have occurred over the last 40 years has insulated DCI from ever " going back ", so its not an option even if there are a few alive out there in Drum Corps Land that might pine for this.

The dozens of local circuits that once flourished throughout the USA and Canada are now gone.

Dead and gone. Even the fingerpointing as to who is most responsible for this is simply water over the dam by now and nonproductive in the end in my view.

Its now up to the few Corps still remaining in DCI to now try and figure out how to move forward from where they now find themselves.

Edited by BRASSO

Who killed the Kennedys? After all...it was you and me

Yes, the Rolling Stones had it right all along. The corps have killed and are in the process of killing themselves. DCI killed DCI. Oversized egos. Greed. Forgetting what the activity is supposed to be about. Death spiraling arms race. Arguing with their own customers about what the customers want (see J C Penney as another example of that).

Enjoy it while it lasts kids. DCI and the polar ice cap. Limited engagement.

Edited by HockeyDad

Because DCI didn't bump Pioneer down to open class. Haven't you been following along?

haha... good point, I forgot, HockeyDad.

DCI needs 3 classes, not 2, I'm reading on this thread as a measure to presumably provide " growth ".

Math question for you:

If Mary cuts the pie that currently has 2 pieces cut into it, into 3 pieces, how much larger will Mary's pie get ?

Edited by BRASSO

how much larger will Mary's pie get ?

I don't want to get banned. use you imagination............

• Like 3

haha... good point, I forgot, HockeyDad.

DCI needs 3 classes, not 2, I'm reading on this thread as a measure to presumably provide " growth ".

Math question for you:

If Mary cuts the pie that currently has 2 pieces cut into it, into 3 pieces, how much larger will Mary's pie get ?

So you're saying, the G7 directors don't get math. Good point. In their case, it's more like Mary has one piece and Sally has one piece, but Mary thinks it would be quite reasonable that Sally should give hers to her. Sally got pizzed and tossed Mary out of the classroom. But Sally has a big heart, and recently let Mary back in.

I hope Sally doesn't regret it.

So you're saying, the G7 directors don't get math. Good point. In their case, it's more like Mary has one piece and Sally has one piece, but Mary thinks it would be quite reasonable that Sally should give hers to her. Sally got pizzed and tossed Mary out of the classroom. But Sally has a big heart, and recently let Mary back in.

I hope Sally doesn't regret it.

I was only being amused with the suggestion that one way to "grow DCI "is to have 3 classes, not 2 classes ( World Class and Open ). I have no idea how this grows either revenues, Corps, or fans.

As for your " Sally and Mary in the classroom " analogy with DCI and the G7, I think in your analogy, Mary should be let back into the class, but seated directly in front of Sally, so Sally can keep a keen watch on her... and also as part of the deal to let Mary back in, Mary agrees to stop telling the rest of her classmates ad nauseum that she's gorgeous and bound for Harvard,.. and they're not.

Edited by BRASSO