Just ONE change!

Well, since you asked.

re:competition procedures

It's bugged me that DCI hasn't bent with the times and the performances presented before them.

As 99.99 per cent of the corps start their shows already on the field, the announcement process is out of date, whether done live or by tape voice over.

Why couldn't Brandt Crocker, Potter, and crew simply say, "..(from so and so, wherever, (name of unit) THE FIELD IS YOURS for DCI (preliminary/semis/championship) performance,[rather than "You may enter the field for competition."]

Yes, tradition is nice but this seems oxymoronic.

And it wouldn't change the budget or cost anything...!

Just a thought...

• Like 1

Well... synthesizers are extremely underutilized in drum corps. To think a synth is any easier than a brass or percussion instrument is silly. To make real music on them... takes real talent.

For example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv5f5P5VbIc

Would love to see stuff like that in drum corps... those tunes... that type of synth usage.

and sadly, the geniuses we have ben told for years were experts at this basically use for low end synth patches and effects.

Associate every drum corps program with a college or university.

I think a lot of people would turn out to see USC's or Notre Dame's drum corps battle on a football field against Alabama.

I agree, it would make doing DCI easier for students and it would draw bigger crowds, but then you risk it becoming an ancillary to the football team like college marching bands are now and like many highschool marching bands are. plus it would change the whole dynamic of dci. Instead of spending 24/7 for 3 months during the summer youd be breaking it up with school and whatnot and youd have the added element of lower temps which ruins performances.

and sadly, the geniuses we have ben told for years were experts at this basically use for low end synth patches and effects.

I agree with Daniel that there needs to be a lot more use of instruments like synths, but can you imagine the...er...feedback...here if that were to happen? :smile:

BK's 2012 opening was one of the best uses I have seen on the drum corps field.

• Like 1

I agree with Daniel that there needs to be a lot more use of instruments like synths, but can you imagine the...er...feedback...here if that were to happen? :smile:/>

BK's 2012 opening was one of the best uses I have seen on the drum corps field.

well, I agree usage could be more original, but that's not a shining example I'd hold up

A seperate division for older style shows using older rules thus allowing more people accessable enjoyment.

And who would the performers be?

You could likely not get enough kids interested in that to fill even one corps, let along a separate division.

A lot of kids already think DCI is too far behind as it is. Kids want new.

• Like 2

Well, I guess you're also assuming I'm in favor of grounded pit equipment. smile.gif/>

Is there any person still actually living that thinks marching timpani is actually a good idea?

Marching stuff like that makes me think of that poor guy in 27 marching chimes. How insane was that?

A lot of kids already think DCI is too far behind as it is. Kids want new.

Behind what?

New what?

And the last survey that DCI took, a rather large majority of marching members said the tradition is a large part of what they liked of DCI. Haven't seen any drum corps (or marching band for that matter) surveys, metrics or statistics to the contrary...

Mike

Behind what?

BOA. WGI. AARP.

Did you even watch shows last year? It was painful how pandering to the 80's so many corps were... they might as well have just dressed up like Punky Brewster or all just played the theme from Magnum PI.

And the last survey that DCI took, a rather large majority of marching members said the tradition is a large part of what they liked of DCI. Haven't seen any drum corps (or marching band for that matter) surveys, metrics or statistics to the contrary...

DCI has never really done genuine market research. It has always been a conclusion fishing for validation... to bring to the next meeting to say "see.... look!!", and they know it.

They have send out some things that have asked a lot of leading questions, but nothing along the lines of proper market research.

Edited by danielray

Well, since you asked.

re:competition procedures

It's bugged me that DCI hasn't bent with the times and the performances presented before them.

As 99.99 per cent of the corps start their shows already on the field, the announcement process is out of date, whether done live or by tape voice over.

Why couldn't Brandt Crocker, Potter, and crew simply say, "..(from so and so, wherever, (name of unit) THE FIELD IS YOURS for DCI (preliminary/semis/championship) performance,[rather than "You may enter the field for competition."]

Yes, tradition is nice but this seems oxymoronic.

And it wouldn't change the budget or cost anything...!

Just a thought...

Actually, DCI doesn't do the "you may enter the field for competition" portion of the announcement anymore.

We still do on the DCA side. I have no problem with it... I think it's a nice nod to tradition.

Honestly... the corps-announcement format is probably the least of the problems faced by modern-day drum corps.