Just ONE change!

And who would the performers be?

You could likely not get enough kids interested in that to fill even one corps, let along a separate division.

A lot of kids already think DCI is too far behind as it is. Kids want new.

You're violating the spirit of the thread - no criticizing, just add your one proposed change.

• Like 4

[/size]

BOA. WGI. AARP.

Did you even watch shows last year? It was painful how pandering to the 80's so many corps were... they might as well have just dressed up like Punky Brewster or all just played the theme from Magnum PI.

[/size]

DCI has never really done genuine market research. It has always been a conclusion fishing for validation... to bring to the next meeting to say "see.... look!!", and they know it.

They have send out some things that have asked a lot of leading questions, but nothing along the lines of proper market research.

WGi, despite having hundreds more units, doesn't draw what DCI does.

BOA draws moms and pops, a smattering of die hard fans and alums.

DCI drawstons of alums and die hards, as well as moms and pops,

• Like 1

New rule: No repeat champions.

That's what they do in the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America, AKA the Barbershop Harmony Society.

They do this to encourage participation.

So, in practice, "last year's champion" would, I suppose, not participate in the DCI championship. Or, perhaps, participate in exhibition.

Actually, DCI doesn't do the "you may enter the field for competition" portion of the announcement anymore.

We still do on the DCA side. I have no problem with it... I think it's a nice nod to tradition.

Honestly... the corps-announcement format is probably the least of the problems faced by modern-day drum corps.

Fran,

I don't want to get into a spitting contest with you, but what I cited was still in the announcer's book I was handed for the show this past summer where I had to do the mic! Might have been an older book, but believe me as I travel the nation each summer and am at at least 20 DCI shows nationwide, it is still a format used. As I cited some units have used a pretaped announcement or tried to avoid an announcement if a pre-show segment was done.

I agree with you though, it is a minor problem. But don't be another DCP dictator. I was answering the question the OP asked.

I agree with Daniel that there needs to be a lot more use of instruments like synths, but can you imagine the...er...feedback...here if that were to happen? :smile:/>

BK's 2012 opening was one of the best uses I have seen on the drum corps field.

But DCP doesn't have any one position on this. Just a small vocal group. If DCP really cared about being anti-synth, they'd be out there supporting the corps tha don't use synths, instead of:

"Hey, you shouldn't use synths!"

"Why? Are you just going to listen to other corps who don't use synths?"

"No, I just don't like listening to different timbres."

"Oh. Well, we're going to continue doing what we and the kids want. You going to continue supporting us and the activity?"

"Of course!"

• Like 1

The ONE change that will put the Drum Corps activity back onto (or at least a chance at) a path of success is:

Change the governance structure of Drum Corps International: Remove all of the individual corps directors from the Board of Directors (as they are really considered "interested parties"), and replace them with a brand new board that are: 1) Not affiliated with any one drum corps; 2) have a passion for the activity; and 3) are extremely successfully business people in their respective fields (i.e., Marketing, Business Development, Law, Technology, Logistics, etc.).

THAT is pretty much the one and only change that will get Drum Corps out of the current "death spiral" ... IMHO!

• Like 5

Free Vodka.

• Like 4

Fran,

I don't want to get into a spitting contest with you, but what I cited was still in the announcer's book I was handed for the show this past summer where I had to do the mic! Might have been an older book, but believe me as I travel the nation each summer and am at at least 20 DCI shows nationwide, it is still a format used. As I cited some units have used a pretaped announcement or tried to avoid an announcement if a pre-show segment was done.

I agree with you though, it is a minor problem. But don't be another DCP dictator. I was answering the question the OP asked.

No problem at all bringing this up... it's just that at the contests I've heard, the "you many enter the field for competition" portion of the announcement is not used.

I promise never to be a dictator. :tongue:

Free Vodka.

I wish I could give this a plus 100.

I've been advocating "10-cent beer nights" for years now. :tongue: