Blue Devils Announce Show

Could this year be the rebirth of a heated smoking rivalry?

Probably won't be much smoking going on in SCV-land, but I don't know what is going on over in that Blue territory. :ph34r::tongue:

• Like 1

Here are a couple of photos from last night's very chilly (it was darn near cold) practice on Madera, California.

IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

So I listened to Rite of Spring on my way to practice, 1st time in a long while

I suggest anyone who sees this show do the same- BD does an amazing job of matching the avant gardeness (is that a word? haha) of Stravinsky's work. The drill is VERY demanding, the guard is amazing as normal, and the brass sound outstanding. The percussion section is very tight, although the snares have a some work to do.

This is going to be a controversial show, surprise surprise- but I really enjoy it. This is going to be a tough show to beat...

Edited by KPinCAL

Kind of a review of what I saw this past Sat. on family night. Corps was in full uniform but the guard was is black. Not sure why they didn't wear their unis (some may say costumes). The polls are lined up on the left side. A pre-show....the corp marches on with music dragging the polls so they are covering the field. Once the show gets started the polls are moved back and forth creating a amazing effect. Show wise the drill is extremely demanding. At one point the horn line marches in unison in a block formation which is amazing. Once this show gets cleaned it will be awesome. Musically it was great. Horns sound better imo than last years. Lots of power at times. No ending though. Demand wise....a lot more difficult than 2012. Reminds me a bit of 2008. Yes they will contend again and will probably be the corp to beat. But I'm hearing a few corps are stepping it up this year so we'll see. Will be at Stanford Sat. Looking forward to it.

Love to see video I don't have to pay for

So are the "poles" just that ... poles ... or are there going to be additions to them?

An early post suggested they were supposed to be "trees" ....

Wait until you see them swung around on the field- it looks awesome.

So are the "poles" just that ... poles ... or are there going to be additions to them?

An early post suggested they were supposed to be "trees" ....

Hmmm. I didn't see any leaves on them. They seem flexible meaning they move left and right. But who knows what they will do with them during the season. From what I saw they weren't used that much after the first few mins. I'm assuming the show is not near complete but from what I saw the effect was great. Not a big fan of props but BD seems to know how to use them. Not only do they march in and around them but they use them physically for a visual effect. Pretty neat imo.

Yea I was disappointed to show up at Mars and see poles but they really do use them in some interesting ways. Going to see them in practice is nothing like seeing them in uniform this year. I even had reservations about this show until I saw it on Family Day! They are so intense this year. I was told they were going to be trees but the way they use them I don't really see it. I'm glad they are not using any voice stuff.