What will help DCI become more entertaining

It all depends.

It may not resonate as well with the current demographic we find in the stands of today, but it may very well have retained the ones that left.. So it'd probably be a wash in numbers, or perhaps a few more fans at shows, who knows. Its hard to really know for certain, imo.

I agree.

Its certainly ironic that as the Corps increased its talent levels, size of Corps, resources available, and dramatically increased the variety of instrumentation available, and so forth, it has resulted in less fans attending shows tpday that the numbers that watched the '77 SCV show live in competition in '77, that you just mentioned. I do believe that it would be folly to totally disregard the perceived diminishment level among many former fans of the accessibilty of the music as not being at least somewhat of a factor in the decline in attendance since 1977.

Maybe, although I wonder about something a previous poster said; if there were 100 corps in finals week, that would help explain the large numbers of fans in the stands as friends and family of members, and members of corps who didn't make finals but stuck around for finals as long as they were there anyway. And their family, etc. I'm not sure I understood that stat right though. But that would skew the data substantially, so we wouldn't be able to conclude anything about the underlying popularity of the activity itself.

I don't think there is a clear answer to making shows more entertaining. Some years every show is entertaining and other years not so much.

I know there are trends occurring that I`m not fond of.

From a visual standpoint, I don't like the tendency to have individual members of the guard doing their own thing - this includes small groups of guard members as well. I think this comes directly from WGI. Give me a great ensemble moment and I'm happy. While were at it, get rid of sabres.

Some years I`m convinced show designers put the guard in the most ridiculous outfits possible just to be different.

Some of the comments here are about choices of music. Every time I think about something to not like, I`ll think of a show to prove me wrong. Unlike a few others, I love some of the wind ensemble stuff that has been done. Yesterday I watched a whole string of Cavies shows going back to their rise in the 80s and was completely entertained. Their Advent years are some of the most entertaining shows done. Advent music would not have been my first choice but what they did with it was amazing.

The one thing I agree with is the lack of Spanish/Latin music. There is so much out there to draw from and no one seems to want to touch it anymore.

One more thing, isn`t the 150 member limit just a bit too much?

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 2

I agree.

Maybe, although I wonder about something a previous poster said; if there were 100 corps in finals week, that would help explain the large numbers of fans in the stands as friends and family of members, and members of corps who didn't make finals but stuck around for finals as long as they were there anyway. And their family, etc. I'm not sure I understood that stat right though. But that would skew the data substantially, so we wouldn't be able to conclude anything about the underlying popularity of the activity itself.

Everyone that buys a ticket, does so with money that is recognized equally. If someone spends a few hundred dollars at DCI finals, it really doesn't matter if that few hundred dollars is spent by someone that was related to, or is a friend of a marcher, or has no such relationship. Its all the same, it seems to me. Additionally, nobody really knows how many attendees at our recent Finals that bought tickets, had family members or friends as marchers there either. One would assume that those that bought tickets to Finals recently were in the same approximate percentage of family/ friends that bought tickets to Finals as in earlier eras. But the motivation for being there is a sidebar anyway, imo. All dollar bills are green, same weight, texture, etc, so whatever revenues came in from the show probably is what is most crucial, not what the motivation is to purchase tickets. Its also not a negative if the people who go to championships are there to support their family or friends as their motivation. This is a good thing. And the more marchers we have in the activity, the more opportunity DCI has to secure more attendees to its shows..., thus more revenues to disperse. Again, a good thing, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

From a visual standpoint, I don't like the tendency to have individual members of the guard doing their own thing - this includes small groups of guard members as well. I think this comes directly from WGI. Give me a great ensemble moment and I'm happy. While were at it, get rid of sabres.

I don't know sometimes a solo person out there works if it's what the show needs. Depends on the show I think. I know what you're saying though.

• Like 1

I don't think there is a clear answer to making shows more entertaining. Some years every show is entertaining and other years not so much.

I know there are trends occurring that I`m not fond of.

Some years I`m convinced show designers put the guard in the most ridiculous outfits possible just to be different.

Some of the comments here are about choices of music. Every time I think about something to not like, I`ll think of a show to prove me wrong. Unlike a few others, I love some of the wind ensemble stuff that has been done. Yesterday I watched a whole string of Cavies shows going back to their rise in the 80s and was completely entertained. Their Advent years are some of the most entertaining shows done. Advent music would not have been my first choice but what they did with it was amazing.

The one thing I agree with is the lack of Spanish/Latin music. There is so much out there to draw from and no one seems to want to touch it anymore.

One more thing, isn`t the 150 member limit just a bit too much?

Oh the irony, given the proposal from the meeting held earlier this month in Indy.

200+ membership and unlimited/unrestricted instrumentation.

What? Who proposed that?

I've been watching a ton of older shows and it's amazing how great show design was even when the limit was 127 members (and these shows were designed long after the pit was stationary).

Edited by LincolnV