What will help DCI become more entertaining

If golf claps or people sitting on thier hands....

I think most would agree, it is much more emotionally satisfying when the corps that draws a high reaction from the crowd also wins first place. So, how do you integrate that into the scoring?

Edited by c mor

If golf claps or people sitting on thier hands is the goal then I guess it is on the right track. The Cadets a couple of years ago did seem to have the crowd appeal. Last year the champion was not wonderful. No one else was better than Blue devils but if that is a few tenths short of a perfect visual show....

But that's just opinion. Watch the show. Every placement is right where it should be. Scores don't matter; intervals and placements do.

And why should it matter what the crowd reaction is? (Prepares flame-retardant suit) Would it mean that an orchestra playing Mahler or Barber wouldn't be able to beat one playing Sousa, just because the audience isn't clapping along to the first one? Should a movie not win an Academy Award because the audience left thinking instead of cheering?

And wasn't BD's show supposed to NOT get a standing ovation? Maybe that's why they won...

(And let's not pretend Crown isn't modern marching band and WGI to the max)

• Like 2

I can't see drum corps being more entertaining than it is now by changing the judging. It will probably get more entertaining as time goes on, but that will be because of improved performance levels and show design, aided perhaps by minor tweaks of the judging. Maybe visual is too strongly represented because the music judges take the difficulty of the visuals 'into consideration' which gives the visual aspect greater weight. Fine. Tweaks. Sure.

But in any event, drum corps is very entertaining. If you watched the top five corps of 2011 you saw:

Phantom Regiment: Juliet

Carolina Crown: Rockstar

Cavaliers: XtraordinarY

Blue Devils: The Beat My Heart Skipped

Cadets: Between Angels and Demons

And you want it to be more entertaining???!!!

I admire that. I really do. But that night you basically got an incredibly varied, exciting night of entertainment (and endless replays in 1080p). Granted, that was an 'up' year (here's hoping 2013 is another one). And I only listed the top corps. But I think overall, things are pretty ... good ... aren't they ... ?

I think it's interesting that you picked the year 2011 to describe how entertaining the shows are. Isn't that the year after the "big offseason push" from DCI (i.e. hiring Michael J. Cesario) to make the shows more entertaining?

...And I recall a TON of people LOVING BD this past season. Just because you might not have enjoyed it doesn't mean a majority didn't like it. In fact, the only people I found who didn't like it is the dinos, and they're the vast minority.

And I recall a TON of people NOT LOVING BD this past season. Just because you might have enjoyed it doesn't mean a majority did like it. In fact, the only people I found who did like it were the [insert fan type here], and they're the vast minority. :tongue:

Both statements have the same level of proof behind them

• Like 2

I really hope this doesn't turn into an anti-BD thread.

Entertainment is relative. It's different for everyone involved. What I want vs. what someone else wants can be far apart. Sometimes we match up on our likes - often we don't. this includes the judging community.

Someone mentioned prior that Entertainment was Excellence. Excellence is relative as well and imo, almost always debatable.

What is excellence? Is it a judges score? Is it a frame of reference? Is it a feeling you felt watching a show that the judges didn't quite score that well? I think Phantom 2010 is excellent. Looking at their scores, in many captions the judges didn't feel the same way. What I felt was my frame of reference for excellent. It doesn't matter what others think as long as I think it.

As for the activity, in my experience it doesn't matter what it comes up with. It's a limited market. It can't be expanded to main stream. The average person just doesn't understand it. I think I do and I like it.

And I recall a TON of people NOT LOVING BD this past season. Just because you might have enjoyed it doesn't mean a majority did like it. In fact, the only people I found who did like it were the [insert fan type here], and they're the vast minority. :tongue:/>

Both statements have the same level of proof behind them

Exactly

Which kinda makes both argument moot

Exactly

Which kinda makes both arguments moot

But on DCP such opinions never grow mute!

I don't think there is a clear answer to making shows more entertaining. Some years every show is entertaining and other years not so much.

I know there are trends occurring that I`m not fond of.

From a visual standpoint, I don't like the tendency to have individual members of the guard doing their own thing - this includes small groups of guard members as well. I think this comes directly from WGI. Give me a great ensemble moment and I'm happy. While were at it, get rid of sabres.

Some years I`m convinced show designers put the guard in the most ridiculous outfits possible just to be different.

Some of the comments here are about choices of music. Every time I think about something to not like, I`ll think of a show to prove me wrong. Unlike a few others, I love some of the wind ensemble stuff that has been done. Yesterday I watched a whole string of Cavies shows going back to their rise in the 80s and was completely entertained. Their Advent years are some of the most entertaining shows done. Advent music would not have been my first choice but what they did with it was amazing.

The one thing I agree with is the lack of Spanish/Latin music. There is so much out there to draw from and no one seems to want to touch it anymore.

One more thing, isn`t the 150 member limit just a bit too much?

my biggest issue with the music chosen...but how it's arranged. allow full melodic lines develop and flow beyond 16 counts of transition into the next big hit with tons of body work underneath

It would appear so. The issues are multi facted it seems to me and as such would require a multi pronged approach to improve the environments these Corps now work in.

and, IMO, fewer directors on the BOD

And why should it matter what the crowd reaction is?

And wasn't BD's show supposed to NOT get a standing ovation? Maybe that's why they won...

Placements and scores are left up to the judges. The audience response is totally irrelevent to this.

The audience personal enjoyment of a show is left up to the audience. The judges response is totally irrelevent to this.

Edited by BRASSO