Your First Car

As I mentioned in the other thread, my first car was a used 1971 Chrysler Newport that looked like this. My parents got if for me when I was a senior in college. Mom wanted a car she thought was big enough to be safe in Chicago. The thing was a tank...there was 12 inches of dead space between the grill and the radiator, just to make the hood longer. It's primary feature was its uncanny ability to catch fire in unique and creative ways while driving, and to shove the radiator fan through the radiator at will. (The gas filter, made of metal, would rust and then drip gasoline right atop the hot manifold.)

I drove it to Cavaliers rehearsals in 1977 and more than once, fellow corps members helped me get it running so I could get home.

When I drove it to the 1979 DCI World Championships in Birmingham, I had to drive with the windows down because the air conditioning was causing overheating that sent the radiator fan through the radiator as I described above, which delayed me in southern Indiana for several hours. I remember looking over at the passenger side and being shocked at what I saw. The seats were black naugahyde, didn't breath at all, and were hotter than blazes in the summer sun. I saw heat waves radiating up from the passenger seat. It was a long trip to and from Birmingham.

During lunch and dinner breaks at all-day rehearsals, I was able to fit five passengers for a meal run with lots of room to spare. I could have taken more if there were more than six seat belts.

Here's what I remember about the drummers' cars. Their steering wheels were beat to shreds from drumming on them during stops. And their passenger dashboards were mutilated because they typically had other drummers in the car with them. Drummers and dashboards are a bad combination.

My Dad threatened me with my life if I cracked the dash in his Impala wagon.

Like I said in the other thread... my first car was a 1966 VW Beetle, from my older brother.

Nothing particularly "drum corps" about this car, but when I was with DCA's Sunrisers, we had a number of people in the corps we could identify by their cars. Various vehicles, ranging from really nice to classic beaters held together by chewing gum and baling wire. LOL

I think my favorite was a mint-condition 1960s Corvette convertible driven by one of my fellow French horn players in Sun... Paul Daunt. One of the best drum corps French horn players I've ever heard.

Paul would show up to rehearsal with the car's top down, wearing a British driving cap, scarf around his neck, sunglasses... the whole look.

One of the guys in the corps nicknamed him "The Great Gatsby." :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

Hello, all!

I think it's time to lighten up and "bond" a little bit. This started on the G7 thread, and I think it can be a welcome, stand alone discussion. My offering there was this:

_____

Michael,

My first car was a green, four door '61 Rambler. It was 8 years old and cost me $125. Gee, how I loved that push-button transmission! It took me to drum corps practice, not in style, but I still got there! As a bit of a respite, Michael, what was your first car? I'll guess a '49 DeSoto.

Anyone else care to reveal their own first car experience?

_____

Let's hear from you, too!

My first car was also a Rambler, a 1963 2 door station wagon with those same push buttons. I paid $17 for it and then had to put new brakes and a rear transmission seal. I wouldn't wish that car on anyone, but it got me to rehearsal, school and lots of other places. This would have been about 1971.

Greg

Oh, I'm all over this. First car? '72 Dodge Dart with a slant six. My mother worked with a woman who was a little odd. One day she came in and told my mom "I'm giving my car to God." (whatever THAT means.) My mom's pretty sharp. She said "You know, my son knows God... Why don't you give it to him and when he's done, he can give it to God." The woman said: "I have to ask God." One week later she drops the car off at my house for free. I gave her $20 'cause I felt bad. First thing I noticed was that the car was in great shape! Second thing, the ashtray was crammed full of peach pits and gum. Third, there was a bumper sticker with a pic of a fetus with the phrase "Equal Rights For Unborn Mothers!" on one side of the bumper, and on the other side it had "I Heart Fudge". It was my Fetus/Fudge Car. It was so rock-and-roll that I left the stickers on. I drove that car back and forth from Massachusetts to Garfield NJ for. Couple of years. More and more of the exhaust system would fall off on Route 95 over the years... And did I fix it? That'd be a "No." Instead, I spent some money on a power amp to make my stereo louder to hear over the din. Ahh, the priorities of youth! I'd be lying if I said I didn't occasionally peruse Craigslist looking for a 72 Dodge Dart for sale. I loved that car.

But can you still fit in it?

My wife tells me that I often 'act' the age in which I used to fit into it! But at least I can still fit into my corps jacket (undone of course)!!!

Edited by Stu

61 VW

Only Sop cases fit in the trunk but mello and bari cases could be strapped to the bumpers, rifles in the well and flags out the window. We could smash 4 people in the back and 3 up front......but only girls were allowed to straddle the front seats.........God I loved shifting to 2nd and 4th

'88 Ford Aerostar minivan

Loved it, and it carried all my drums with ease. Was not a hit with the ladies until they realized we had...room in the back if you know what I mean. :w00t: