Your First Car

92' Geo Prism! Riding in style!

1963 VW Bug - ..had a gas heater 'in it that you ignited by turning a knob on the floor next to the shifter. a few seconds later you'd hear a little explosion then (a) it got hot as hell real quick, and (b) it got so smoky inside that you had to roll the window down to see.

I got my 61 VW in 71 when my grandfather died. Always wondered what that knob was for but in New Orleans theres very little need for a heater. Ahhh but turn the little windows all th way out and you had all the air you wanted.

In 72 I ended up with my brothers 1970 VW. Yellow with black interior. Cut the plywood to fit the back well, mounted speakers for the 8 track and put yellow and black shag carpet on it and the floors ( from Handy City )

Went to the VW dealership and bought all the woodgrain knobs and she was pretty hot looking. Just seemed the tailpipes always rusted out and had to be changed.

I remember in 73, my senior year in high school, I could buy Conoco's "Conotain" gas for 23 cents a gallon. For two bucks I could run around all the time for 2 weeks.

Man I miss that car.

Hard to believe it was once Motor Trend's "Car of the Year." (Really.) It should have been sold alongside disposable diapers.

Mine was my great-aunt's 1961 Plymouth Valiant that she passed on to me when she stopped driving, just as I was getting my license, in 1970.

134691d1276097081-my-new-car-1961-valiant-100527-tech-scramjet.hmedium.jpg

It had an automatic transmission, but there was no shifter...it had pushbuttons on the dash...the left hand side was the automatic transmission 'shifting' buttons, if memory serves...

1961+Plymouth+Valiant+V200+4+Door+Sedan+First+Generation+1.jpg

I got my 61 VW in 71 when my grandfather died. Always wondered what that knob was for but in New Orleans theres very little need for a heater. Ahhh but turn the little windows all th way out and you had all the air you wanted.

In 72 I ended up with my brothers 1970 VW. Yellow with black interior. Cut the plywood to fit the back well, mounted speakers for the 8 track and put yellow and black shag carpet on it and the floors ( from Handy City )

Went to the VW dealership and bought all the woodgrain knobs and she was pretty hot looking. Just seemed the tailpipes always rusted out and had to be changed.

I remember in 73, my senior year in high school, I could buy Conoco's "Conotain" gas for 23 cents a gallon. For two bucks I could run around all the time for 2 weeks.

Man I miss that car.

After my aunt's Valiant passed on to my brother, the next car I had was a 66 VW Beetle...I got it in 1971, so I used it to drive to Garfield all winter of 71 and summer of 72...the cheapest gas near me was 29 cents a gallon in that time.

66_VW_Beetle_DV-06_BJ-01.jpg

I probably don't belong in this convo.. first car was a 2000 Hundai Elantra. Great car! Until I totaled it (not my fault) 4 months after getting my license... On my third car since then (nothing wrecked.. just died... had one car for a week... )

And I have only ever flown to drum corps camps.. I guess I could post what model planes I've flown on... but then again..

64Belvadere.jpg

1964 Plymouth Belvedere ... fastest car in BD (I almost got beat by John Y. once, though!)

It was totaled RIGHT after I got back from Tour in '75 ... while I was turning into the parking lot at Lincoln HS in Stockton, CA. :-(

And in a related concept, the car you WOULD have gotten first, had you the chance. Anyone under the age of 40 is probably saying "Javelin? What make is that?" tongue.gif

1969AMCJavelinSST_01_700.jpg

Edited by Slingerland

And in a related concept, the car you WOULD have gotten first, had you the chance. Anyone under the age of 40 is probably saying "Javelin? What make is that?" tongue.gif

1969AMCJavelinSST_01_700.jpg

It's a poor mans AMX.... :devil: And the manufacuter actually had a commercial at the time with the tag line "What's a Matador".

And if you sat in the backseat of either all you saw was the back of the front seat. :sad: Rode many a time in one of the dealers demonstrators but too young to drive. :doh:

And see the Weinermobile is at Henry Ford Museum, went there on a trip with the Antique Auto Club of America local region. :worthy:

Edit: Thought the following was in his thread and mistaken: Some of my ancestors had a car dealership of Hudson... then Rambler... then AMC... then Simca/Sunbean (when AMC cut back on dealars). Sister has a 65 Classic and in Rambler Club of America. Lot of memories of that era, some good and some I should go to confession about my feelings :thumbdown: (and I ain't Catholic).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

With a GTO, Duster, Firebird, Javelin, Challenger, etc, if you were thinking "what's visibility and legroom like from the backseat?", you were already missing the point. If you could afford one, you probably didn't need the backseat anymore.

Edited by Slingerland