DCI show moments that made you teary eyed

I think it's a great question but difficult to answer. My main problem is that the music today doesn't move me as much as before due to the fact that the horns don't produce the volume of yesteryear. It's not about the shows as I think many would have had the same if not greater impact they had before considering the level of talent and how the shows are deisgned and executed.

Even the top corps don't come close to the volume of corps prior to the Bb's coming out.

I won't mention any specific shows that come to mine since there are so many but Phantom, BD, Cadets, SCV, Madison come to mind, not to mention the more recent corps that have stepped up like Crown, Bluecoats, ect.

For me it takes turning up the stereo to get the impact from the 1978's to the late 1990's.

Take that volume with the music of tday and DCI would increase its numbers dramatically.

• Like 3

Phantom 2003, 2008, 2010.

03 Harmonic Journey was just so powerful... it still gets me.

08 Spartacus just brings me back to that night and that summer. Best summer of my life by far, wish I could go back.

10 Into the Light... that whole show was beautiful. (except for some of the marching and horn playing.. .) but that last push with the Chevron was amazing. One of the best down endings ever, kind of out of character from Regiment... but it was the perfect touch. There weren't many dry eyes around me when they performed in West Chester

There are more, these are the first I could think of, maybe I'll post more later.

(Is this better Boo??????? ph34r.gif)

Edited by kickhaltsforlife
  • Like 1

To be honest, almost every time I see my old corps perform.

Most Phantom shows get me in their ballad, same as SCV.

I know that a lot didn't love Cadets 2012, but that show got me as well.

2006, Madison Scouts Alumni Reunion Project.

Specific moment - Through The Eyes Of Love. My #2 son, who at the time was 7, looked around. IIRC, everyone was standing. Anyway, after looking left and right, he turned to me and asked, "Why are all those old people crying"? Apparently he didn't notice my eyes were welled up too.

Kids....

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2

I think it's a great question but difficult to answer. My main problem is that the music today doesn't move me as much as before due to the fact that the horns don't produce the volume of yesteryear. It's not about the shows as I think many would have had the same if not greater impact they had before considering the level of talent and how the shows are deisgned and executed.

Even the top corps don't come close to the volume of corps prior to the Bb's coming out.

I won't mention any specific shows that come to mine since there are so many but Phantom, BD, Cadets, SCV, Madison come to mind, not to mention the more recent corps that have stepped up like Crown, Bluecoats, ect.

For me it takes turning up the stereo to get the impact from the 1978's to the late 1990's.

Take that volume with the music of tday and DCI would increase its numbers dramatically.

In general, today's hornlines are not putting out the volume of the 70s/80s/90s hornlines, but there are certainly exceptions. 2007 cadets could have gone toe to toe with lots of hornlines from the past 35 years. 2004 BD made several of my internal organs move. The old = loud and new = quiet is a lazy, lazy argument.

Z

• Like 4

Phantom 2003, 2008, 2010.

03 Harmonic Journey was just so powerful... it still gets me.

08 Spartacus just brings me back to that night and that summer. Best summer of my life by far, wish I could go back.

10 Into the Light... that whole show was beautiful. (except for some of the marching and horn playing.. .) but that last push with the Chevron was amazing. One of the best down endings ever, kind of out of character from Regiment... but it was the perfect touch. There weren't many dry eyes around me when they performed in West Chester

There are more, these are the first I could think of, maybe I'll post more later.

(Is this better Boo??????? ph34r.gif)

MUCH better. Thank you. You shall be rewarded in Heaven.

In general, today's hornlines are not putting out the volume of the 70s/80s/90s hornlines, but there are certainly exceptions. 2007 cadets could have gone toe to toe with lots of hornlines from the past 35 years. 2004 BD made several of my internal organs move. The old = loud and new = quiet is a lazy, lazy argument.

Z

Sometimes, during the "old days," even sections that should have been quiet were performed at a blastissimo dynamic.

SCV 2009, Simple Gifts company front

SCV 2012 Music of the Night, I completely lost it in the theatre

Phantom 2008, just watching them live was such an experience at Finals

Bluecoats 1995, when the flag is handed over, and you can hear the guard girl crying because it is so silent on the field

Suncoast Vietnam show, when the balloon is released after Requiem

SCV 1989, ending

That's just a few for now, I know there are others

• Like 1

1989 SCV Music of the Night push. Every. Every. Time.

2011 Madison closer (at quarterfinals) - - amazing moment.

Loved the guard moves in 1990 Cavies ballad "All Things Bright and Beautiful" - - as the opening solo ended, they were in groups of 3 exchanging a rifle, flag and saber, but the move was accomplished with such gentleness and fluidity - - simply exquisite.

Because of my theatre background, I really loved the ending of Sky Ryders 1987 West Side Story show - - visually simple but effective.

I echo the other posters who have mentioned Phantom's 2010 Into the Light show - - I didn't know the music but the way that show was constructed and performed told me everything I needed to know. That show communicated directly to the hearts of so many. I remember watching them begin to disappear into the tunnel at the end of the show, and i began to cry and panic thinking that those kids were going to leave the field before they heard me clap for them!