DCI show moments that made you teary eyed

82 Kilts Auld Lang Syne

83 Colts Old Man River

84 Santa Clara Tenderland

86 Santa Clara Great Gate

87 Santa Clara Russian Christmas Music

Santa Clara Music of the Night, Bottle Dance

Regiment Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral

I don't think I've ever gotten teary-eyed, but some parts have given me huge chills.

Scouts ESOM

BAC's Bring Him Home in their Revolution show

2003 PR Canon

Basically any company front to Simple Gifts (Cadets, SCV, etc)

Any and every retreat.

All. Those. Kids.

Making Music.

• Like 4

I admit that I cry too much at drum corps, so I'll just list the top moments from the last five seasons:

2012- the last minute of the Cadet's show

2011- Madison's entire show, especially the end

2010- Phantom Regiment leaving the field

2009- Crown's reappearing company front, the Blue Stars' ballad, and the last two minutes of SCV's show

2008- the last minute of Phantom's show

Here's to tears in 2013!

RIGHT ON! Spoken like a true drum corps fan!

• Like 1

"...no one was willing to ruin the mood with stupid "get on the recordings" yelling.

I really, really don't like (hate) the "get on the recordings" yelling. It's a selfish stunt. It's not an authentic, spontaneous cheer from the crowd. I wish people would stop that stuff!

Okay, now back to the question...

It always hits me at finals night when all the corps come back on the field for the last time. For that matter, for any corps' final performance of the year - be it prelims, or semis, or finals. These kids put so much into a production that ends so abruptly before returning to the world outside of drum corps.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

I've never cried when watching a show, but watching Phantom's 2011 "Juliet" closer moved me quite a bit, the conveyance of emotion by the solo guard member coming down the 50 in Elsa's was pretty #### amazing and convincing, it's like she WAS Juliet. The one thing that sets a guard apart in my eyes is how they draw you in with how they get into character, and that show definitely did it.

(Another show that comes to mind in that category is Vanguard's "The Devils Staircase", the guard was truly demonic in that show, in a fantastic way, but that's a whole other topic).

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

The Big Hit in the ballad, Academy 2011.

2000 Boston Crusaders

2007 Cadets

2009 Santa Clara

Watching the Star of Indiana Alumni Corps. The only time I'll ever be able to see Star live. Notably, getting to see my high school band director perform with a corps. Before the first impact we made eye contact and both immediately teared up. It's a moment I'll never forget.

• Like 1

Wow, good topic. There have been many, many times that I have been moved by a show. I will start with 1984 Suncoast, when I saw the PBS broadcast (they only showed Aquarius and Requiem) I got massive chills at the end of Requiem. When I finally saw the full show, including the America? America! closer (with the American flag waving drill) I got teary eyed.

In 2003, I got ridiculously excited to hear that Phantom would be playing Canon in D. This is one of my all-time favorite pieces, and I knew that they would do it justice. I was able to find some bootleg early season recordings that sounded pretty good, but did not see them live until Quarterfinals. Just before they came on the field, a thunderstorm hit Orlando (shocking, right?) There was a 90 minute or so delay, and there was talk that the show may be cancelled. Fortunately, the show went on, and when the corps got to the first hit in Canon, I was bawling. Mainly because not only did it live up to my expectations, but blew right by them. I still get a bit teary-eyed when I listen to it a decade later.

Finally, I was a member of the Bridgemen Alumni corps last year. We had, throughout our history, performed with Jersey Surf a couple of times. When we were told during the summer of 2011 that we had formed a partnership with the corps, and that they would be doing a tribute to the Bridgemen in 2012, we were all pretty excited, but had no idea the bond that would develop between the corps. Although we had seen a few You Tube videos of Land of Make Believe and Tell William, we knew nothing about the rest of their show. On the day of our home show (The Tournament of Stars), Surf took the field for a run-through of their show just for us. I can tell you that several times throughout that run, I had a stupid smile on my face and tears in my eyes. When we met up with the corps for the night show, and saw their blue "pimp" uniforms, we knew that we were on the verge of something special. We entered the stadium together, then we stood in the end zone while Surf debuted their show to a huge crowd. It doesn't bother me at all to say that the kids stole the show that night, receiving the first of many, many standing ovations. The feeling continued when I saw the reception that the corps got at San Antonio, and then to be on the field at Allentown and seeing a nearly full stadium for the second corps in competition was sublime. The kids OWNED that field that day, and it was incredible to see the reaction that they got. Many new friendships have formed from this partnership, and I love to see the kids that just "get it".

Ok, that's enough for now...

• Like 2