Why do DMs Corps-Hop?

...and then there's

and now, getting back to the OP topic...

...and then there's

That video make me want to go PP.

How would anyone even suggest ending corps-hopping? Should we institute a rule like the NCAA, where if you move, you have to sit out a season of eligibility? That would be so weird.

I'm all for corps loyalty and such, I spent all of my time marching in the same organization, but if people want to change places, they should. It's their money, and no one wants to deal with someone in a corps who doesn't want to be there. I would rather a kid jump corps than spend all summer complaining about being there.

• Like 2

How would anyone even suggest ending corps-hopping? Should we institute a rule like the NCAA, where if you move, you have to sit out a season of eligibility? That would be so weird.

I actually like that idea...a lot.

I actually like that idea...a lot.

It's a stupid idea, unless you plan to play the members, and instate multiple-year contracts. I suppose you'd also advocate a one-year no-compete clause for staff as well?

You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

• Like 3

been happening for years - our DM in 1980 & 1981 was the Bridgemen DM in 1982 & 1983

I'm all for corps loyalty and such, I spent all of my time marching in the same organization, but if people want to change places, they should. It's their money, and no one wants to deal with someone in a corps who doesn't want to be there. I would rather a kid jump corps than spend all summer complaining about being there.

Yup...agree 1000% percent. It is a silly idea (that I know you are not suggesting should happen).

The Cavaliers' 2012 Horn Sergeant is in the 2013 Blue Devils' euphonium section. Interesting.

Nothing like chasing a ring? Maybe he's deciding he wants the hardware for his last year. Happens every year with BD, they have tons of kids coming over from other top corps, because they have a higher chance of medaling or winning there than anywhere else.