Skeptical Parents

I am the Mother of a trumpet player. His high school marching band is nationally recognized and he is a senior now and has been the lead trumpet there since his sophomore year. Everyone tells me hes very talented. But now he wants to march drumcorps. I let him tryout for the Phantom Regiment just so he'd stop bugging me, thinking he wouldnt make it. But he made the second round of callbacks and was apparently ranked pretty well. Nonetheless, I didnt let him go back because in my opinion, marching this summer would be a waste of money and it would distract him from getting ready for his first year of college. As you might know, the cadets are looking for a trumpet for 2013 and he, his teacher, his band director, and the guard instructor at his school have all been nagging me to let him go to their camp because they think he has a very good chance of making it. What would you say to convince a parent in my position to fly him out to new jersey and let him march with the cadets this summer? pr What would you say to convince a parent in this position to let him march in the future?

What would you say to convince a parent in my position to fly him out to new jersey and let him march with the cadets this summer? pr What would you say to convince a parent in this position to let him march in the future?

Nothing.

Without knowing the family's financial circumstances, it would not be my place to " try and convince them" on how to spend their family's finances. This would be a personal decision that rests with the family alone,imo. It should be left entirely up to the family to research everything possible so they can make an informed decision based upon the anticipated expenses vs, the anticipated rewards they hope to derive from the financial investment.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Is music his career choice?

Edit: If so, then the expense could advance his career.

And wait, he made the second cut at PR and you wouldn't let him go back? Umm...wow.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 7

Is music his career choice?

Edit: If so, then the expense could advance his career.

And wait, he made the second cut at PR and you wouldn't let him go back? Umm...wow.

The mother here says he's been the lead trumpet in a " nationally recognized High School Band " for 3 years and is apparently shocked that he made Phantom Regiment and that a number of people at her son's school are recruiting him for the Cadets.

This is like the mother of the 3 year starting point guard on a " Nationally recognized High School Basketball Program " becoming shocked that he could make a spot on a top college basketball program.

Question for the Mom of the talented 3 year lead trumpet in the nationally recognized H.S. Band :..... where ya been ? How come you are telling us you are shocked he made a spot and is being recruited by others ?

Edited by BRASSO

Wow, so was Phantom his 1st choice or was it nearby and didn't cost as much as "flying him" somewhere ?

I'm sure he would enjoy marching almost anywhere but, was Phantom his pick of all corps ?

Nice try, kid. You could just post as yourself -- you'd get a lot better ideas and feedback. :)

I agree. This posts as if we are to believe that its from the trumpet player's " Mother ". I wonder what " Dad " thinks of all this. " She " (OP ) doesnt tell us even though the post is allegedly from " Skeptical Parents " ( plural... " parents ).

Call me " skeptical " on all this too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

As far as I know, in all Fifty States, an 18 year old is an adult who can choose to get out from under the direction of a parent and do everything on their own; completely on their own; thus the subject of this thread would be moot at that point. However, if the 18 year old is wanting the parent to continue helping facilitate things like university eduction, room, board, food, etc... then it is the parent's prerogative to say no to drum corps. If drum corps is that important to the 18 year old, and the parent who is facilitating all the aforementioned items says no, then either honor the parent or move out and pay for everything, I mean 'everything' on your own.