Blue Devils 2013

Why stop at 1991-1993? To understand the varying adverse response to Star over the years, it helps to look over all the years.

It started back in 1984, when the corps ran a full-page ad in Drum Corps World. The corps had already hired star-quality design staff and caption heads, and put head shots of these people inside stars in the ad layout to convey that message. They took recent caption winning staff from other corps regardless of whether they were a vulnerable sinking ship (Bridgemen) or on top of the world (Garfield). And when I say "took" - unlike other staff hires back then, when Star hired someone, they stopped working with all other corps at all levels of the activity. Naturally, that practice is going to generate resentment in places.

You can always find a critic for any top corps, but the general reaction I remember had most to do with the use of props. Come show time, the debut season of Star of Indiana (1985) proceeded without any undue vocal negative response. In 1986, however, the corps employed a series of props so large and numerous that an additional equipment truck was brought on tour to carry them. That was unprecedented at the time, and it did not go over well. People I heard from thought it was too much; activity insiders felt it (and the extra contrabasses) reinforced their perceptions (accurate or not) of the financial excess of the corps. Some similar reaction was generated by the 1987 circus. But when the corps settled down into shows free of such supplemental materials 1988-1991, the backtalk subsided and the corps climbed all the way to the top of the ladder without visceral objection. Then came 1992, and that enormous screen.

But in those final years, it was no longer just a matter of envy over money or props. Show design became a prime determinant of crowd reaction to Star. Fans evaluate title contending shows with higher expectations than shows further back in the pack. The shows Star gave us in 1990 and 1991 met (or exceeded) those expectations. The 1992 show did not. The veneer of patriotism failed to resonate even with the same fans that clamored for it. Crowds still enjoyed the show and marveled at the level to which it was performed, but as a duel for the top emerged between Star and Cavaliers, fans began taking sides (well, mostly one side) when scores were announced. I remember booing when the quarterfinal outcome was announced (Star over Cavaliers); I remember cheering when Cavaliers prevailed in semis; but I also remember stunned remorse from many when the third place announcement came over the PA at finals.

Now, 1993 elevated the design debate to historic levels. Star 1993 ushered in the modern era, but not in the way most think.

This was a season full of crazy, edgy shows that pushed the envelope. Admittedly, Star was at the leading edge of edgy. At the risk of being taken the wrong way, I want to call it "unbalanced" design - the emphasis on body movement, the lack of color, absence of a loud note-ramming drum feature, so much dissonance vs. so little harmony... those were the design aspects that distinguished this show from all others, even in 1993. All of these things had been done before, but the degree to which Star employed them made their show deviate from the parameters of balance that all other shows resided within at the time.

What stands out most significantly in my memory from 20 years ago is the politics. This was the first time (and unfortunately, the start of a trend) for show design issues to become the subject of a full-fledged "campaign" waged among the fan base, not just in press boxes and post-show critiques. All during the season, there were a few true believers proselytizing at length about how every last thing this corps did was innovation. To hear them, you would think no other corps had ever used a bare flagpole, performed a soft drum feature, worn white both above and below the waist, or had horn players put their horns down and move their arms in unison. Granted, the 1993 Star show was a love-it or hate-it proposition to begin with, but the politicking going on in the bleachers made things even more divisive. I think the negative reactions to their show were compounded by the campaigning by their supporters, the inference that all future show design should therefore head in that direction, and the corroborating evidence that it would - based on one such design factor, the increasingly dissonant, edgy shows already coming from other 1993 corps. Since Star was proclaimed (rightly or wrongly) as the setter of this trend, those who opposed that trend directed their displeasure toward Star specifically.

In the past I have saved certain posts that were particularly illuminating / educating for me, by such posters as Jeff Ream, Brasso, Jeff DiMello and others......I will be keeping this one! And thank you.

• Like 1

So when you define great, you disregard the Finals videos (that are essentially the only visual/audio record of the 1993 season), and define greatness based on your memory of individual show recaps + performances throughout the season.

No, not at all. I define excellence greatness by an undefeated season. I thought that was stated cogently and in a non confusing manner here above in my remarks, but for some reason it was not clear to you as to how I personally define excellence greatness.

Edited by BRASSO

No, not at all. I define excellance greatness by an undefeated season. I thought that was stated cogently and in a non confusing manner here above in my remarks, but for some reason it was not clear to you as to how I personally define excellance greatness.

So the only great corps of the DCI era in your mind:

* Blue Devils 86

* Blue Devils 94

* Cadets 2000

* Cavaliers 2002

* Cadets 2005

* Blue Devils 2012

Not Cadets 1993 (how can they be under appreciated in your mind if they are not even great).

• Like 1

so are they really going to have 100 tree props ...

If they do, I'll be the guy making the horrible joke "I can't see the Corps-est for the trees." at every performance.

Because, yep, that's my level of humor. :)

I promise to only post it once on here though. It's my family you should feel sorry for...for many reasons.

• Like 3

If they do, I'll be the guy making the horrible joke "I can't see the Corps-est for the trees." at every performance.

Because, yep, that's my level of humor. :)

I promise to only post it once on here though. It's my family you should feel sorry for...for many reasons.

Ha; as the first drum corps fan to publicly post that corny joke, I think you owe it to us all, and have earned the right, to post it constantly this summer :tongue:

Ha; as the first drum corps fan to publicly post that corny joke, I think you owe it to us all, and have earned the right, to post it constantly this summer :tongue:/>

As my wife would say, "Please don't encourage him."

It would be funny the first week. Maybe I should post it 100 times in honor of the 100 trees. Or have a custom t-shirt made up to wear to performances.

Ha; as the first drum corps fan to publicly post that corny joke, I think you owe it to us all, and have earned the right, to post it constantly this summer :tongue:/>/>

Ahem! Not to be vain but. it's DCI so I get my licensing dollar:

from this same thread...

drilltech1, on 30 May 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:last year, many people didn't comprehend or understand the show.

This season, we won't be able to see the forest without the trees???? :rolleyes:/>/>/>/>

and also previously mentioned on this thread was that the tree idea was swiped/borrowed/lifted/mimics what a Texas band did in BOA and UIL years ago. (but that's like the chairs from Les Chatelaines, etc.)

Edited by drilltech1

So the only great corps of the DCI era in your mind:

* Blue Devils 86

* Blue Devils 94

* Cadets 2000

* Cavaliers 2002

* Cadets 2005

* Blue Devils 2012

Not Cadets 1993 (how can they be under appreciated in your mind if they are not even great).

If I define for you... 3 times now... that I personally reserve " excellence greatness " for those few Corps in history that had an " undefeated season ". then why are you asking me about these Corps in these years ? Are you STILL confused on what I said above ? My guess, you have still not been able top come to grips just yet how I personally define " excellence greatness ". I did not define my definition of " great " for you ( although I did differentiate between " excellence greatness " and " fan favorite greatness " above as also not being the same thing ). I should not have to answer for you if I consider the '93 Cadets a " great show ", if you now fully understand that under my definition they do not qualify for " excellence greatness " under the definition provided to you now multiple times. But is it possible for me to consider lots of Corps shows " great " that did not win a DCI title ? Of course. 2012 Jersey Surf qualifies for a " great " show for me and they did not win a DCI title The same is true of 93 Star of Indiana for me as well, and they did not win a DCI Title in 1993 either. But 2012 BD qualifies for " excellence greatness " under my definition. But without being redundant, I did not particularly think it a " great show ". You may have another definition of " excellence greatness " that is much braoder than mine and thats all well and good too. But it would be your definition. I have mine. There is no right or wrong answer here either as we are talking about one's personal defintion and personal qualifyer for " excellence greatness ".

Edited by BRASSO

Ahem! Not to be vain but. it's DCI so I get my licensing dollar:

from this same thread...

drilltech1, on 30 May 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:last year, many people didn't comprehend or understand the show.

This season, we won't be able to see the forest without the trees???? :rolleyes:/>/>/>/>/>

and also previously mentioned on this thread was that the tree idea was swiped/borrowed/lifted/mimics what a Texas band did in BOA and UIL years ago. (but that's like the chairs from Les Chatelaines, etc.)

I figured someone else probably posted a similar joke/pun already. Yours is better said. I won't infringe on your copyright though, and just stick to my cornier version.

Obviously tastes and opinions vary. My own personal opinion is that there are typically just as many shows from mid-80s or so that I like in any give Top 12 than there are in modern shows.

Early 80's - earlier, to be blunt, are a mess as far as show designs, and pretty lame to me. There are some good shows in that era, but I would call that early DCI era (72-the start of the build-up system) to be the dark ages of shows. Earlier shows that were more militaristic at least have reasons to be what they are, but the weird era when DCI was trying to straddle the line from militaristic to artistic is just bizarre, with a lot of muddled, incredibly boring shows (and awful tone from many of the brass lines, especially compared to now). I appreciate the history, but those shows do zero for me, and until SCV starting with the asymmetrical drill & Cadets 82ish/83 most of the early DCI era is horribly dated and boring.

Of course that's just me; I grew up with a different era of drum corps, so naturally that stuff appeals to me. That's why I don't pay much attention to DCA, competitive alumni corps, etc. But I also don't hang out in their forums and complain about stuff either. Also, I would MUCH rather see Blue Devils try different stuff and fail artistically or from an entertainment or whatever standpoint than win DCI playing the same ol' charts every year.

I do agree with you completely here about show designs. I don't start to "universally" enjoy the shows from a design standpoint until about 1983 for the same reason you cited.

I'm just not interesting in seeing Blue Devils try different things, win with ideas that I don't think work, then see many other corps emulate that stuff the next year and forever in some form.

I went to DCA last year and was surprised by the show designs. Not that different than DCI as to be considered old fashioned.