Blue Devils 2013

Early 80's - earlier, to be blunt, are a mess as far as show designs, and pretty lame to me. There are some good shows in that era, but I would call that early DCI era (72-the start of the build-up system) to be the dark ages of shows. Earlier shows that were more militaristic at least have reasons to be what they are, but the weird era when DCI was trying to straddle the line from militaristic to artistic is just bizarre, with a lot of muddled, incredibly boring shows (and awful tone from many of the brass lines, especially compared to now). I appreciate the history, but those shows do zero for me, and until SCV starting with the asymmetrical drill & Cadets 82ish/83 most of the early DCI era is horribly dated and boring.

Of course that's just me; I grew up with a different era of drum corps, so naturally that stuff appeals to me. That's why I don't pay much attention to DCA, competitive alumni corps, etc.

The way you put these words together makes it seem as if you think DCA show design has never advanced past 1980. Not sure if that is really what you intended, but if so, I suggest you take a look at some DCA corps - you are in for a surprise.

• Like 2

...some idiots will boo...

So, people who boo at 'Major League' competitions, not little league or youth activities mind you, but 'Major League' competitions are idiots?

look...it's a competition and fans have their favorites...and enemies... deal with it. if we're truly teaching real life lessons, it's that you can't be universally loved, and you don't get credit for the attempt.

This I agree with

Edited by Stu

So, people who boo at 'Major League' competitions, not little league or youth activities mind you, but 'Major League' competitions are idiots?

This I agree with

Stu, the point here is that if a young person tries out and makes a corps, travels on their own dime, practices their ### off all spring and performs their heart out all summer across the country......why should anyone feel it necessary to express their disappointment or angst with that corps by booing? The message or reason the booer is trying to get across may be very specific....but to that young person on the field, there is no translation.....it just sucks. And yes, the booers are idiots, thoughtless idiots!

• Like 4

Stu, the point here is that if a young person tries out and makes a corps, travels on their own dime, practices their ### off all spring and performs their heart out all summer across the country......why should anyone feel it necessary to express their disappointment or angst with that corps by booing? The message or reason the booer is trying to get across may be very specific....but to that young person on the field, there is no translation.....it just sucks. And yes, the booers are idiots, thoughtless idiots!

Reality is that some folks want to hold the MM's accountable for the Marketing Decision made by the DCI powers to call this Marching Music's Major League. Whatever... Pffft! :devil:

• Like 1

Reality is that some folks want to hold the MM's accountable for the Marketing Decision made by the DCI powers to call this Marching Music's Major League. Whatever... Pffft! devil.gif

Advertising slogans don't have to be literally true to be effective -- they just need to be memorable.

M&Ms melt in your mouth, not in your hand

MMs-Melt-Hand.jpg

Apparently that's lost on some posters.ph34r.gif

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Am I the only one getting the vibe that the real reason for this thread and it's endless continuance by some alums debating others is merely to keep the Blue Devils name out there in lieu of any official news about the 2013 show like the other corps?

Just saying...

• Like 1

Am I the only one getting the vibe that the real reason for this thread and it's endless continuance by some alums debating others is merely to keep the Blue Devils name out there in lieu of any official news about the 2013 show like the other corps?

Just saying...

Yes....you're the only one!

• Like 2

Yes....you're the only one!

I will grant you "I am the one and only", ha, ha...but the jist of this thread is the same private conversation of a small number of posters.

I will grant you "I am the one and only", ha, ha...but the jist of this thread is the same private conversation of a small number of posters.

Then we should be banished to outer darkness! or at least to MySpace! :rolleyes:/>

• Like 2