Blue Devils 2013

I don't think booing is considered acceptable at any performing art. That's the main issue; yes it's a competition, but it's mostly a performing art.

Behavior at sports and performing arts are covered by different clauses in the social contract. In sports everybody is there just to have fun and relax. The fans go a bit wild. But in performing arts the rules are just different. You can boo a symphony orchestra, but you'll be rightly shunned if you do.

Stu, your excuses about marketing slogans and the touring model are non sequitur . I bet the New York Philharmonic goes on tour, and spends more money than BD, but If you boo them or any other performing art, you're a tool.

The fact that it's a youth activity is secondary I think, but not irrelevant. As Stu points out, you can boo a ref at a little league game (although you're pushing the envelope) but if you boo the team itself, and then say you object to the coaches methods, well, you're a tool. Nobody cares why you booed the kids; you booed kids!

And it doesn't matter than it's a competition; try booing a spelling bee and see what happens.

So it's really a social contract double-whammy.

Edit: I'm not calling anyone on here a tool, of course... Just making sure... satisfied.gif

Edited by Pete Freedman
  • Like 3

I did not make the comparison, the corps staff and DCI staff made that comparison: Marching Music's Major League (the best marching performers in the world competing against each other in a Major League environment).

What if most audience members feel that booing disrupts the show experience they paid good money for?

What if booing, though it happens regularly in professional sports audiences, is no more appropriate there than in corps audiences?

What if DCI, in adopting the moniker "Major League", never intended the parallel with professional sports to be all-encompassing?

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

Since this is a BD thread, it might be helpful to understand that BD itself brought into the public square with its theme a movement and a place (Dadaism and Club Voltaire) that was chock full of booing, catcalls, and an environment where both audience and performers themselves threw things at one another from stage to audience and from audience to stage. Fights at the Club Voltaire in Zurich took place almost nightly ... even among the performers themselves, on occasion.

Is BD doing itself any favors by performing "Rite of Spring" in the centennial year of that work's premiere, which caused a riot?

Is BD doing itself any favors by performing "Rite of Spring" in the centennial year of that work's premiere, which caused a riot?

Like I said, booing in Drum Corps is a very rare occurance. By and large DCI audiences are about as tame and civil as it gets, imo. Police details love doing modern Drum Corps shows. Its a piece of cake for them compared with most outdoor events that take place at High School and College Stadiums where crowds can get unruly on occasion. Thats why in my opinion a discussion of DCI Drum Corps audience booing is akin to discussing drunkeness at an outdoor Mormon Convention. Sure, it might happen with a few violators here and there, but is it really an issue ? So whatever BD decides to put out on the field here in 2013 I'm fully confident that it will likewise be greeted with mostly overwhelming civility on the part of national audiences even if the show is similar to 2012.

Edited by BRASSO

Looking at BD's repertoire on corpsreps, it appears over the years they are indeed continuing to do jazz. No big band jazz, and not mainstream jazz, but jazz none-the-less.

Ooooh; this is an "I'm an old guy and can't stand how drum corps has changed in the 30+ years since I marched" rant. Gotcha... :doh:/>/>

Ok, so booing is a positive to BD in winning more titles; I get it! so, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to the Devils (now go win more titles).

I want to find out if you are consistent: Let's say a Celtics fan grew up in Boston. As a kid he had played basketball and also had a basketball scholarship to Boston University where he earned his business degree. Now he is in upper management of a company who has season tickets to the Celtics games. At the first Lakers-Celtics Championship Finals game held in Boston, the refs appear to lean their calls in favor of the Lakers and appear to have had some bad calls against the Celtics. The Lakers win the game. The Celtics fan should not boo this situation, but instead should show great appreciation toward the talent and hard work of the Lakers' players as well as toward the refs. Agree or disagree?

You don't have to be so convoluted here......let me answer you very clearly by saying that I was a Dolphin fan back in the day and when the Steelers, Raiders or Bills came to town, I nearly had lock-jaw on Monday morning from booing, hissing, salivating and foaming at the mouth. So, I get your analogy....but it's stupid. Not that you're stupid....but it is! Comparing professional athletes to Drum Corps marching members leaves the road immediately when you understand that one is paid ridiculous money for doing what they do and they do it for the highest bidder.....while the other pays ridiculous money (comparatively) for the privilege to march a corps they love, wanting to be part of and work hard in the hope of the experience and at least appreciation for their effort. The Pro Athlete leaves the stadium, win or lose, with a big pay check....the DC MM leaves the stadium with only the thought of how they did personally and as a corps, and maybe doing better next time. Professional sports is combat by another name..... while DC is art, entertainment and other stuff, all of which is not combat.....and designed to be uplifting, character building, educational and #### fun. I hope you see the difference.

• Like 1

BD and Crossmen always include some Jazz in their shows. But I am looking for Corps to a jazz show and incorporate the most important element .... Improvisation into their shows. Technically, it's not really jazz without improvisation. I'm waiting to see which corps does it first.

If you wanna run with the big dogs, you gotta #### on the tall trees!

• Like 2

in performing arts the rules are just different. You can boo a symphony orchestra, but you'll be rightly shunned if you do.

We rarely see booing at modern day Symphony Orchestras Performances too. This is because the judges are the audience. In Drum Corps there is a third party to the judgment, and that is the DCI judges. In DCI, they take preference over the other audience judges under the rules of competition agreed to beforehand. This is why the booing of Corps both before, during and immediately after their performance is a very rare occurance. When we do hear boos at DCI shows, the vast amount of this takes place with the judges. In DCI, judges are FAR more apt to be booed at shows than are Corps in performance. We rarely see many audiences coming to their defense when booed. This is because many in the audiences have in fact felt frustrated in the past with their scores and placements, so the DCI judges don't usually get a rallying cry around them of suppport when they are booed. And this is understandable to a degree too, imo. But I just wanted to point out that when we discuss " booing in Drum Corps " it really is rare, and most of the time it tends to happen with the judges, not Corps in performance. In 40 years of DCI Drum Corps, among several hundreds of shows performed, less than 2% of shows of Corps have resulted in booing of some degree. 98-99% of the time, Corps in performance are not greeted by boos of any consequence. At these percentile levels, it is essentially not an issue except for the unfortunate rare Corps that meets with this unfortunate response on the part of a very few in the audience. I don't think these 40 years of overall excellent Drum Corps audience track record of civil and respectful responses to Corps shows will change anytime soon either. ' Hope not anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

What if most audience members feel that booing disrupts the show experience they paid good money for?

What if booing, though it happens regularly in professional sports audiences, is no more appropriate there than in corps audiences?

What if DCI, in adopting the moniker "Major League", never intended the parallel with professional sports to be all-encompassing?

What if the tooth fairy actually existed?