Which Corps Was the Loudest?

So there was a thread back in 2010 where someone brought a decibel meter to quarterfinals. I was wondering if that same person or someone else could repeat the experiment this year? There's probably an app for that.

It would be awesome if you could use it for all the corps that perform in quarters! Maybe a bunch of DCP-ers can post their readings and we can average it and maybe Garfield can do something clever with the numbers...

Edited by Barifonium

So there was a thread back in 2010 where someone brought a decibel meter to quarterfinals. I was wondering if that same person or someone else could repeat the experiment this year? There's probably an app for that.

It would be awesome if you could use it for all the corps that perform in quarters! Maybe a bunch of DCP-ers can post their readings and we can average it and maybe Garfield can do something clever with the numbers...

Just download a decibel meater from the google play store.

As i just moved to Bloomington i plan on checking out some of the scouts rehearsals this week. If its cool with them ill post my readings.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.sound

It would be awesome if you could use it for all the corps that perform in quarters!

Don't know if quarters would be the right show. Most of the corps finishing 13 and lower (even some of the top 12) have fewer brass. Ten or more fewer brass has to effect readings.

Loudest corps I ever heard? 1978 Spirit. Made Skyliners' volume sound like a PBC corps. (you have to be from LINY for that reference)

• Like 1

Loudest corps I ever heard? 1978 Spirit. Made Skyliners' volume sound like a PBC corps. (you have to be from LINY for that reference)

That is the first example that always comes to my mind. The unleashing of that power in the opening fanfare of "Walk Him Up the Stairs" was scary. The company front in "Let it Be Me" was nothing short of mind-blowing.

• Like 1

Don't know if quarters would be the right show. Most of the corps finishing 13 and lower (even some of the top 12) have fewer brass. Ten or more fewer brass has to effect readings.

We could easily overcome this by dividing decibels by the number of horns...

I could make some cool graphics out of the results.

Blue Devils hurt my ears last year. I was floored that they could be that loud with a quality sound.