DCI in Santa Clara 2017?

To be fair, a lot more people live closer to Indianapolis.

Edited by crownisking
  • Like 6

I personally believe that Blue Devils off time is the reason they won last summer. By taking the time necessary, they mastered their show. However. They do not always spend as much time out of competition, and because they did do this past year does not ean they will do do in 2017.

I always love seeing the West Coast corps in New England, so California in 2017 is fine with me. It is the fair thing to do.

They were teaching clinics.

• Like 2

Not to mention that it is SCVs 50th anniversary.

That would a very nice tie-in.

• Like 3

To be fair, a lot more people live closer to Indianapolis.

Downtown Indy is alright, but aren't a lot of people sick & tired of going to Indy?

• Like 6

Downtown Indy is alright, but aren't a lot of people sick & tired of going to Indy?

I would imagine some of the older fans may be. But there are still plenty of younger fans like myself who've never been. When I finally do go to Finals, I would rather it be Indy because of the city's history with BOA and more recently, DCI. It would kind of be like a rite of passage.

Plus, I've always been a little iffy with outdoor venues. Too many things can go wrong. I'm not sure how much it rains in Santa Clara, but I know there's always the chance of having the corps warming up outside of the stadium within earshot of the stands. It happens all the time with marching band shows and it's pretty annoying.

Edited by crownisking
  • Like 2

If the event were to move to Santa Clara, which side of the stadium would be used? On one side, you have too many suites and not enough general seating. On the other side, you have plenty of general seating, but no suites. Are suites a necessity for drum corps events? No. But I'm sure some of the suits and donors of DCI would prefer to have them, and they're the ones with all the influence.

49ers-stadium-footbal-tatujpg-e146d8cd8b20f351.jpg

• Like 2

DCI finals in Santa Clara would be a huge draw and would undoubtedly sell a lot more tickets than Indy even though, yes, more fans live within a day's drive of Indy. However I doubt DCI will have another finals outdoors in a location as rain-prone as northern California. And the suite-vs.-stands issue would be a problem for DCI, as crownisking suggested. Plus according to the wikipedia article on Levi Stadium, they finally opted (it was an open question for a while) for grass, not artificial turf, so this idea is probably a mutual non-starter for both DCI and the Niners. If DCI ever does a one-off someplace else, SoCal is a better bet because of the weather... or a different indoor stadium. I think they're done rolling the dice on rain, unfortunately.

Crossed-out material edited following correction from Present Arms in post #24 below that it only rarely rains in Santa Clara in August.

Edited by Peel Paint

And the way the drunk and marijuana high California crowd booed the Eastern corps, especially the Cadets who complained about the poor field conditions in that dilapilated, not handicap accessible facility with bathrooms almost two blocks away in the parking lots was one DCI too many in many fans perspectives.

:blink:/>

really... :thumbdown:/> :thumbdown:/> :thumbdown:/>

That's a pretty rude generalization, at best. As someone who was at 2007 Championships week in Pasadena, I didn't see a lot of that stuff you proclaim. I know you're probably just trolling and I shouldn't take the bait, but if you're going to make asinine over-generalizations perhaps your memory is a bit foggy and you forgot that the crowd was actually kinda surprisingly friendly towards Cadets Finals night.

edit: hey I got some negatives but no actual intelligent reply - yea idiotic lack of discourse!!

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 6

I would imagine some of the older fans may be. But there are still plenty of younger fans like myself who've never been. When I finally do go to Finals, I would rather it be Indy because of the city's history with BOA and more recently, DCI. It would kind of be like a rite of passage.

This is a really interesting perspective: one I haven't thought of. I'm curious as to your age, if you don't mind me asking. When I was younger, I always thought of Madison, WI as the mecca of drum corps and I was bummed that I spent my years of drum corps membership when DCI had a partnership with Orlando, FL and the year after I aged-out Finals was in Madison. It's intriguing if that is a common perception with a younger generation of DCI fans/members: that Indy holds some sort of mysticalish, "rite of passage" type place.

Plus, I've always been a little iffy with outdoor venues. Too many things can go wrong. I'm not sure how much it rains in Santa Clara, but I know there's always the chance of having the corps warming up outside of the stadium within earshot of the stands. It happens all the time with marching band shows and it's pretty annoying.

It's fascinating that rain has never been a major factor for DCI Finals before (though rain has disrupted Prelims and Semis before, and even forced one of those two shows to become a standstill in 1994; and who can forget the rainy mess of 1993 Finals?!), it seems Finals would've been canceled for sure recently if not for being indoors. I agree that after that event I would be surprised if DCI goes back to outdoor Finals in a rain-volatile region*

*note: it rains so infrequently in Southern California over the summer that IF it rains in

August it is the lead news story. This will be my 15th summer living in San Diego, and I think it's rained twice in August in the last 14 years. I know DCI is locked into Indy, but if they were to change... :tongue: