New Uniforms 2013

As one alumni on this board.........YES we ALL think Kevin is GOD!!! Nothing ground breaking there.

I understand that I have offended some Crownies (particularly of feminine persuasion) by failing to acknowledge the power behind the Crown: Maureen "Moe" Smith. The goddess of efficiency and affirmation.

I have only two observations to share...

1. Does anyone else feel the corps proper is starting to look more like the modern color guard costumes, especially when compared to the corps propers of yester year?

2. I find it interesting when many corps are always pan-handling for donations to 'make ends meet' they are buying new uniforms yearly.

• Like 9

1. Does anyone else feel the corps proper is starting to look more like the modern color guard costumes, especially when compared to the corps propers of yester year?

2. I find it interesting when many corps are always pan-handling for donations to 'make ends meet' they are buying new uniforms yearly.

Edited by ashevillemurphy

I think you are spot on. But when earlier this month I said in a post that the lobby in power today in DCI was the fabric and fringe crowd (we had the horn lobby changes and the percussion additions previously), the fashionistas,

guard folk, and anonymous lurkers negatively red marked me vehemently. I think your second point needs to be said LOUDER! especially in a world where so many clamor for food, housing, health, and basics.

• Like 5

Crown gets new unis every 3 years and last year was the 3rd year of the "vest" uniform. In fact I'm not aware of any corps who buys new uniforms every year. Guard uniforms -- yes. Rest of corps -- no.

• Like 3

The corps that get new uniforms every three years (I don't know of any corps that gets them every year) probably get them at a steep discount.

• Like 3

I think your second point needs to be said LOUDER! especially in a world where so many clamor for food, housing, health, and basics.

Not when his point is incorrect. The corps are NOT 'buying new uniforms' every year. In most cases, they're making modifications to the uniforms they already have in the interest of keeping them looking fresh, rather than buying new clothes. If any of our kids did this with their own wardrobes, we'd praise them for their resourcefulness.

And they're not "begging" any more than any other youth education/performance organization is "begging" when they solicit donations of support. The nature of running an organization where fundraising covers 50-60% of the actual expenses of providing the service to the clients (the members) is that you're going to be asking for money. Not because you're acting like a spendthrift, but because doing is is the only way that the experience is affordable to the members at all.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 7

Just an FYI...most of the top 5, maybe top 6-7 don't buy their uniforms. They are made for them in return for the company using them in promotional/advertising materials to sell uniforms to other potential customers.

• Like 2

I love the fact that Garfield has stuck with their traditional military style cadet uniform. They understand & recognize that their style & identity is important. More Drum Corp should realize this.

Um...they removed the stripe from their pants in 2011, and it hasn't been brought back. Too bad..it really makes a difference in the look of their uniform. Definitely masks dirty feet without the stripe though.

1371445483[/url]' post='3268135']

I love the fact that Garfield has stuck with their traditional military style cadet uniform. They understand & recognize that their style & identity is important. More Drum Corp should realize this.

I think a corps can change their uniform and still be true to their identity. The Cadets are the only active World Class corps that have kept the same (well, sort of) uniform design from day one. So are you implying that The Cadets are the only WC corps to maintain their style and identity?

• Like 3