Differences in BD, Cavies, Cadets Championship seasons

BD goes by the mantra "work smarter, not harder." Works pretty well for them...better than Cadets if you rack up the caption and ring wins.

You don't have to beat your kids into the ground to get results. There are any number of stories of people who came to BD from other corps and were shocked at the more relaxed atmosphere (when required) and the results the staff got out of the members.

Saying Cadets work harder than anyone else isn't an indicator of anything...and it kinda slaps in the face any other cops out there, in all divisions.

Nailed it. I'm surprised not everyone knows this about BD. Will it work for all corps? Not at all. But BD has the knowledge, experience and talent to take the approach and have it work.

It also blows my mind when corps don't have a show finished before the season begins. Doesn't BD always plan ahead, in this respect?

It also blows my mind when corps don't have a show finished before the season begins. Doesn't BD always plan ahead, in this respect?

They also begin their all-days about a week before most other corps. There have been more than a few years when their show wasn't done at the first few shows. 2009 and 2010 spring to mind, since I saw them many times competing against them.

• Like 1

...I mean you think the drum judge is going to penalize their score for hashgate? ...

No. What I do think, however, is judges weren't inclined to give Cadets the benefit of the doubt that year. Meanwhile, the next year, Phantom might have received the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not saying anyone was cheated or undeserving. I'm not saying any judge was anything but professional. I'm just saying that scores aren't rendered with scientific precision. I'm also saying that programming controversial has its risks. It might have cost Cadets in 2007 because the race was close. BD last year overcame controversial because it wasn't.

HH

• Like 1

They also begin their all-days about a week before most other corps.

Good weather will let you do that. I think the only time I got rained on at ANY rehearsal in 84 was the January camp, right after I'd moved up.

Cold, heat, and wind are another matter (Oh Mars, you harsh mistress, you), but everyone gas to deal with that.

That might be a big factor in the traditional late season surge by Cadets. When you can't do drill until the show melts, you REALLY have to bust ### to clean...especially with the kind of show they typically put out.

BD, having the luxury of consistent good weather, can start drill several MONTHS earlier, and thus can take a more relaxed approach.

Cold, heat, and wind are another matter (Oh Mars, you harsh mistress, you), but everyone gas to deal with that.

And the occasional gas explosion at Mars.

The good weather is probably a very good reason why we see a corps like BD come out so strong every year, because they do start earlier. I think we'll see the same from Santa Clara this year, since they were blessed with good weather for their camps and pre-tour, and have had almost the entire corps there from day 1 of pre-tour, instead of trickling in as the weeks go on.

BD doesn't compete nearly as much as Cadets. Go look at the schedule.

No. What I do think, however, is judges weren't inclined to give Cadets the benefit of the doubt that year. Meanwhile, the next year, Phantom might have received the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not saying anyone was cheated or undeserving. I'm not saying any judge was anything but professional. I'm just saying that scores aren't rendered with scientific precision. I'm also saying that programming controversial has its risks. It might have cost Cadets in 2007 because the race was close. BD last year overcame controversial because it wasn't.

HH

performance judges arent looking at controversial programming. they are looking at what and how in terms of visual and musical.

and consistently Cadets were 2-4 when head to head with everyone. they were fighting for high GE all year.

the recaps dont lie

• Like 1