Great Article

Great write-up hope it brings in lots of new members for you.It couldn't happen to a nicer group of people .Have a great season this year.And in years to come.:thumbup:/>

Great article!

Nice write up for a great organization!! Wishing SS the best this season and can't wait to see your show!!

On a side note, the media relations director may have been a bit off when stating that SS is "the only drum and bugle corps within 4-5 hrs of DC". By my count, there are at least a few:

152 miles - DC to Reading Buccaneers - 2.5 hrs away

177 miles - DC to Windsor Regiment - 3 hrs away

179 miles - DC to Bushwackers - 3 hrs away

189 miles - DC to Cadets2 - 3.25 hrs away

245 miles - DC to Caballeros - 4 hrs away

253 miles - DC to Fusion Core - 4.25 hrs away

• Like 1

Nice write up for a great organization!! Wishing SS the best this season and can't wait to see your show!!

On a side note, the media relations director may have been a bit off when stating that SS is "the only drum and bugle corps within 4-5 hrs of DC". By my count, there are at least a few:

Of course, all those numbers are calculated without DC metro area traffic.

Add in DC traffic, and all those numbers are tripled. :tongue:

• Like 1

I have some insight on this subject. I live in Fredericksburg, Va...which is about halfway between DC and Richmond (1 hour south of DC) and march Reading Buccaneers. When I drive up from Fredericksburg to Reading for morning rehearsals...it usually takes me about 3 and a half hours. Mind you, you gotta get up early to make a 9 AM rehearsal...so there's not much DC/Balt traffic during those hours. I also find my Sunday evening drives home are about the same...3.5 hours. Now, it's a totally different story once the Friday night rehearsals started. I work in DC and leave directly from work up to Reading. It usually takes me about 4 hrs to get from DC to Reading when I leave downtown n Friday afternoons...and that even getting out a little early to try and beat the peak commuting hours. My Friday afternoon trips usually take from about 1:30 to 5:00....but I get there earlier sometimes and later other times.

So...I wouldn't say that the DC traffic would triple those times...but they do add significantly if traveling during peak commuting hours.

Anyway....congrats Shenandoah Sound on the good publicity. Hope to see you all at the July 4th parades in Baltimore again this year. Good luck!

Maybe from DC proper it is closer, but from here in Prince William County it always takes 4 hours to get to Reading and closer to 5 to any of those New Jersey destinations. And no matter what time of day you can count on a traffic issue when crossing the river and beltway into MD.

I have some insight on this subject. I live in Fredericksburg, Va...which is about halfway between DC and Richmond (1 hour south of DC) and march Reading Buccaneers. When I drive up from Fredericksburg to Reading for morning rehearsals...it usually takes me about 3 and a half hours. Mind you, you gotta get up early to make a 9 AM rehearsal...so there's not much DC/Balt traffic during those hours. I also find my Sunday evening drives home are about the same...3.5 hours. Now, it's a totally different story once the Friday night rehearsals started. I work in DC and leave directly from work up to Reading. It usually takes me about 4 hrs to get from DC to Reading when I leave downtown n Friday afternoons...and that even getting out a little early to try and beat the peak commuting hours. My Friday afternoon trips usually take from about 1:30 to 5:00....but I get there earlier sometimes and later other times.

So...I wouldn't say that the DC traffic would triple those times...but they do add significantly if traveling during peak commuting hours.

Anyway....congrats Shenandoah Sound on the good publicity. Hope to see you all at the July 4th parades in Baltimore again this year. Good luck!

Have the feeling Fran was being a little smart alecky being from the Eastern Shore IIRC. :tongue: Nothing like when I was in San Francisco area year after the earthquake and asked drive time from my hotel to SFX. 45 minutes usual.... 3 HOURS rush hour... I had to drive there after work and yep... 3 hours and two detours off of the highway.

LOL - my wife should be coming home from Raleigh this morning, I'll have her wave when she passes Freddie-burg. When I drive that way I go Rt 15 to Warrenton or so then catch 17 to Fredreicksburg and on to I-95 :shutup: . Doesn't help you get to Reading but I can feel for your distance.

PS - Haven't read the article yet but looked good in the mag. And thought I saw my single valve buddy Dick P in one shot.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Have the feeling Fran was being a little smart alecky being from the Eastern Shore IIRC. :tongue:

Yes, I was. LOL.

But I'm from NJ. :tongue:

Grew up in the NJ/NYC metro area... and honestly, the traffic in the DC area often makes the NYC traffic situation look like a day at the beach.

Maybe from DC proper it is closer, but from here in Prince William County it always takes 4 hours to get to Reading and closer to 5 to any of those New Jersey destinations. And no matter what time of day you can count on a traffic issue when crossing the river and beltway into MD.

1) Your public relations guy didn't say 4-5 hrs from Prince William County, he said 4-5 hrs from DC.

2) There's a dude that posted right above you that lives about 1/2 hr farther south than PWC and he said his trips to/from Fredericksburg are regularly 3.5 hrs.

It's not really all that important. We get the point that it's the closest corps to the DC metro area. Just don't understand the need to exaggerate that much?

• Like 2