Stanford Showdown

Why should I or anyone else cheer for everyone? If I am not entertained, if I do not enjoy the product presented then I will not applaud. Applause should be earned, not given. The fact Crown's placement was booed is indicative of a larger problem, and it is not "rude,classless behavior from simple-minded fans."

Really? I had no idea. This is the first time I have heard that. Wow.

No DCI corps earns booing either. Just sit quietly if you do not feel like applauding, but booing is rude and shows poor spirit.

If this is the first time you heard about the riots - I hope you are joking here - if not, please just google the history.

Edited by Lunasparks
  • Like 1

That makes me sick! I never heard a single boo on the west coast.

You must have forgotten Hashgate.

Here is a link to the scores announcing and you could hear the booing as well.

This booing crap is childish, immature, pathetic, and low class. If you cannot be civil and respect these brave young men and women then I suggest you stay home and boo from there. Nobody has time for your nonsense. What those people did was tasteless. It was amateur hour and I feel bad for them. I just hope that they do not have a child that is in DCI.

• Like 2

Here is a link to the scores announcing and you could hear the booing as well.

Sounds like the loudest person was right by the mic. A few people in the right spot and things can always sound worse.

But tacky and low class... I bet they never marched.

Edited by CloudHype
  • Like 1

No DCI corps earns booing either. Just sit quietly if you do not feel like applauding, but booing is rude and shows poor spirit.

I do not boo, but I do not sit quietly. If a result is announced that I disagree with you may hear me say, sotto voce, "WTF?", "Oh come on!", "you gotta be ####### ####ting me", or words to that effect. I have never booed. I have also never blooed. Do not expect me to stay silent. I actually do not have a problem with others booing. It does not bother me. If I hear boos I do not think "what ey-holes!". It makes me think on what they may be booing and why.

If this is the first time you heard about the riots - I hope you are joking here - if not, please just google the history.

Yes. I was joking. I was mocking you and others like you that think you are educating us mouth breathers.

• Like 1

Just got home from the show, so here are a few observations:

SCVC and BDB will be very competitive this year. Not sure who said that SCVC's drill was super dirty, but they were watching something else. Both corps need to finish their shows though, before we can really see where they'll fall. Both also have a lot of similar issues that go along with early season Open Class. (body carriage, people forgetting moves, technique breakdowns) but when you only have a couple of weeks of rehearsal, these things are normal.

BDC is also so great to watch, because they are out there trying and performing. Going on later was great for them tonight, because they got a big audience who gave them proper recognition.

Mandarins are much improved from the last few years. They seem to finally be designing shows to fit the talent level they have, not the level they wish they had. With some cleaning, and a bit of theme clarification, they'll be fine this year.

PC took what seems to be a step back from last year, but not a big one. The design doesn't seem as strong, even though they are playing better at this point than they did last year. Ending needs to be revamped so that there aren't more mistakes like tonight.

BK bounced back from last year's show by going back to what made them great during the last decade. Good music, ballet work re-rentering the horn line, and a cerebral show. Once it's finished, I think they'll end up in the 9-12 range. But in Finals.

Crown just blew the house down tonight. Even better than they were last night, and the crowd loved them. The counting in the opener was done completely by the members on the field, which was a change, but may have been because of technical difficulties. It added a cool different layer to the show. The brass is just amazing, and I don't see many corps touching them this year. Could still use a woman's voice in the ballad narration, but that's personal preference. Guard was much improved from last night, less wind.

SCV has really gone back to their roots. I know Gail would be proud of them doing this show. Needs a lot of cleaning visually, and the ending needs to be tweaked, but this show has a shot at medaling, especially with how strong the percussion is. New uniforms are very classy, and are growing on me quickly.

To me, BD's show was about 45 seconds of good surrounded by a lot of weird show that didn't have a point. I thought the jazz groove behind Augurs of Spring and the Spring Rounds was absolute genius. The problem is, there is constantly so much going on, and so much clashing together, that it is impossible to get a read on their show. I was even talking to a few BD alums and die-hard fans, and they didn't know where the staff was going with this show. Guess we'll see how it all turns out. I will agree with the other posters who said the drum writing is pretty insane. I don't know if I've ever heard so many drum notes in one show, but there were a few times where it seemed like it was notes just to play notes, not to be integrated into the fabric of the show. Guard and percussion will probably carry them this year, although guard had a better run last night.

Scores are what they are. It's the early season. Scoring is always crazy till about Denver. And I was there watching the scores, most of the noise people heard was "ooing" in surprise that Crown came in 2nd. For probably 90% of the people who attend a drum corps show, they don't understand how the judging really works, and why certain things get scored higher or lower than others. So what they see and think is the best doesn't always line up with the folks in the green shirts. I

f you let the scores determine your enjoyment for a drum corps show, then that's a sad way to live and enjoy this art form. I know I always liked having standing ovations and people telling me how much they loved my show over winning a ring, which I did. Still take the Standing O's any day.

• Like 4