Stanford Showdown

A few quick things

1. It sucks that BD's success often comes at the expense of Crown, BUT (as I've said before) I love a complex show that goes against the grain of what drum corps shows "should" be, so I'm very happy for them.

2. I was skimming through the thread...Why was their negative discussion about BDC?...most of them probably aren't even in high school yet.

3. Booing happens every year in Atlanta. I don't like it, nor do I see the point of it, but it happens. Though I guess it's not as bad since the last few years they haven't done a retreat after the shows so it's not like any of the performers can hear the booing.

4. What happened to Mandarins getting new uniforms?

Regarding "booing" at shows, particularly the recent Crown/Blue Devils episodes from last year and now beginning again this year: the jeering rarely comes from the Crown section at shows where corps have blocks of tickets. I first noticed this at Allentown and later in Indy. My question regarding these so-called Crown fans has been are they cheering for Crown and bitterly disappointed at the results or are they cheering against the Blue Devils? There is a difference and while there can be many opinions regarding Blue Devils shows, but there is also some illogical vitriol and this goes back to the 70's.

As one who proudly hails from Red Sox Nation, I have friends who love going to Major League baseball games in other cities and rooting against the Yankees. I also know when Baltimore had lean years, many Orioles fans began rooting for the Red Sox, not because they had newfound love for their East Coast neighbors to the North, but the Sox had the chance to defeat the Yankees.

Perhaps in Marching Music's Major League, Concord, CA is home of "the Evil Empire" and the Blue Devils are drum corps equivalent to the Yankees.

RED SOX?!?!?!?! Dude, log off NOW!!

YANKEES ALL DAY EVERY DAY!!

Oops, wrong forum.

The average fan fills up a lot of stadiums across the country. Or used to

We do this every year Jeff......you and others (on this same page in this case) trot out the argument that these wacky designs and avante gard stuff are driving the audience away. You have zero metrics to prove that and more importantly have no way of judging whether any decline (although it has been pretty constant) is the result of what you suggest or economic conditions, or changing entertainment tastes. Anyone can suggest, for whatever reason, they aren't going to support the activity if this kind of "whatever" continues......but when they suggest that "whatever" will be the demise of DCI......that is just weak argument and a sign of desperation.

I know you genuinely believe what you are saying but the "or used to" comment requires a bit more support than just saying it. BTW, I was surprised to see Brasso (someone I have long admired for his common sense, historic knowledge and occasionally agenda driven comments)....lose it last night!

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 3

This years BD show is the most brilliant thing I have ever seen!

I like the beginning of the show but the weirdness does lose its novelty about half way through. I think there needs to be some "concrete" stuff added somewhere to appease we earthlings.

• Like 2

OK -- you asked :-)

VA + CG. Both should have gone to Crown -- the guard with a margin. BD guard was a wreck tonight. BD was also struggling more with drill than Crown. Thinner margin here.

Not sure where the big spread in VP came from either. 0.2 last show.

Anyway not gonna freak out. In fact the only thing that freaked me out tonight was hearing those boos from the West Coast fans ! Didn't expect that -- at all.

Crown has the product. They just need to clean the crap out of it.

I agree with your guard statement. I have thought BD guard has been slightly overrated. You occasionally have to be required to do SOMETHING in unison so we know it can still be done.

• Like 2

Please stop booing = Please cheer for everyone!

When Crown was announced 2nd - everyone around me started booing and that made me feel very sad. I LOVED Crown's show and thought it was really well done, but all the young people in DCI work really hard and do not deserve to be booed. I'm a big Blue Devils fan, so it was really upsetting to me to hear the crowd react that way. Being in Drum Corps is very difficult work and we should cheer for everyone, even if we have favorites.

Btw - SANTA CLARA = AMAZING show!!! I was so happy that they have such a great show this year. It reminded me of their glory days long ago when they were at the top of their game.

I hope they do well also.

Remember that people rioted after the Premier of the Rite of Spring, so that is kind of what the audience did tonight. History is repeating. GO BD - AMAZING & CREATIVE & WONDERFUL show!!!

I think the booing is "for" the judges ... not ANY of the performers.

• Like 1

We do this every year Jeff......you and others (on this same page in this case) trot out the argument that these wacky designs and avante gard stuff are driving the audience away. You have zero metrics to prove that and more importantly have no way of judging whether any decline (although it has been pretty constant) is the result of what you suggest or economic conditions, or changing entertainment tastes. Anyone can suggest, for whatever reason, they aren't going to support the activity if this kind of "whatever" continues......but when they suggest that "whatever" will be the demise of DCI......that is just weak argument and a sign of desperation.

I know you genuinely believe what you are saying but the "or used to" comment requires a bit more support than just saying it. BTW, I was surprised to see Brasso (someone I have long admired for his common sense, historic knowledge and occasionally agenda driven comments)....lose it last night!

Hey done celebrate declining attendance. Take away the movie theater and DCI is hurting.

And BD got booed at home. That's hugely telling

• Like 1

Hey done celebrate declining attendance. Take away the movie theater and DCI is hurting.

As many years as "BD has been booed", I doubt they really care.

Again, blanket statements that "hugely" thud on the conversational floor.

BTW, the degree of vocal, guttural response last night is again (based on the multiple angles in the stadium reported last night) telling of nothing other than some fans (wanting a different outcome) have little grace and knowledge of public behavior during the performing arts......much like their possible ancestors in Paris 100 years ago. Please tell me that someone as generally intelligent as you is not going to make booing the proof of anything (in CA or anywhere) other than disappointed fans who are unable to process outcomes in a civilized way.

• Like 2

After all these decades, people are still talking about The Blue Devils visual program. Here's the way it is; The Blue Devils have never been known for their drill or marching. They have smart, not complex, drill design that allows the high degree of musical talent from their members to be showcased.

• Like 1