Sacramento Showdown

yea i am one of the few BD folks who really loved PR's show that year. Never saw it live but from the video I did see they really had the GE cornered.

Phantom made major changes to their show that year. Does anyone remember when they formed a sword on the field and rotated it? It didn't last long during the season.

I think their biggest concern now has to be recruiting and retention. Staff changes might help with that, but once you're on a downward trend I expect it's hard to get out of that cycle. Supposedly the corps is young this year, so the question is... will those young men stick around if Cavies end up in 10th or 11th place, or will they seek out for corps that are on the upswing? I'm sure many of their members are happy being Cavaliers, but some will want to be in the best corps that will have them.

It happened to Madison.... Very strange that such a dominant corps took such a nose dive but that's what staff instability and lack of retention can do. I think this is where u have to pause and pay homage to corps over the years that have been consistently finalists but not top 6 corps year in and out. These corps have massive turn over some years and still maintain. Perhaps the Cavies are finding out that these corps that have dealt with this for awhile are really accomplishing something and can learn and build from it. I'm saddened... Cavies are one of my all time favorites but it may be a long time before we see them elite again. SCV and Phantom have dipped over the years but they made good changes and popped right back up... Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case for the Cavaliers. Best if luck to them, I know this corps will work hard and be a force down the road.

It happened to Madison.... Very strange that such a dominant corps took such a nose dive but that's what staff instability and lack of retention can do. I think this is where u have to pause and pay homage to corps over the years that have been consistently finalists but not top 6 corps year in and out. These corps have massive turn over some years and still maintain. Perhaps the Cavies are finding out that these corps that have dealt with this for awhile are really accomplishing something and can learn and build from it. I'm saddened... Cavies are one of my all time favorites but it may be a long time before we see them elite again. SCV and Phantom have dipped over the years but they made good changes and popped right back up... Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case for the Cavaliers. Best if luck to them, I know this corps will work hard and be a force down the road.

I'm hoping they can pull out of this nosedive soon. I've always loved the Cavies, and I'd really hate to see them miss finals. My gut feeling though is that member retention won't be much of a problem.

Wait wait wait. It's really just been 2 seasons, and this second season has only begun. This activity often involves large jumps, but sometimes it takes several seasons for things to move around. I'd say if at the end of NEXT season Cavies are still in that range, then they're probably there to stay for awhile.

Agreed but you have to admit that the Cavies having a young corps is alarming... They have drawn vets from other corps and retained their own forever... That means confidence in the current system is low and while I agree its a bit premature it's alarming at best

• Like 2

My quick $.02 on last night's Moonlight Classic show in Sacto. ... spent most of my time in the lot so only saw SCV, BD and Crown on the field.

SCV: Really enjoyed this fan-friendly and accessible show, but can't see them in the Top 3. Brass sound is a little top heavy compared to the last few years, and visually they have a ways to go. Watched them do some visual warm-ups in the lot and the marching was pretty dirty. As an old-school SCV alum this drove me nuts, but hey, it's early in the season so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. But overall, this show is going to be really fun to watch as the summer rolls along ... also, the drumline's book is a monster out there and the Jonz sounds fantastic. GO SCV!

Carolina Crown: Dear Lord, now that's some brass! Given the musical and visual demands of the show, which they seem very capable of executing at a high level, I can easily see Crown towards the top of the pack come finals. Some of the narration and amplified passages were a little grating to me at times - I call this show "ADHD Sprach Zarathustra" - and that narration of the poem from "Einstein on the Beach" needs to sound more James Earl Jones, and less Bobby Brady for it to have more impact. But hey, once that brass kicks in, all is forgiven. The corps does a fantastic job of translating Philip Glass to the football field and I'll be rooting for them at finals.

BD: Not feeling it. This isn't a knock against the young performers out there, and I saw a lot of serious talent out there in the lot, but this show just didn't have much impact for me. I love the "Rites of Spring" and was looking forward to hearing BD ripping through some Stravinsky. I don't know, the show just had too much brass and percussion jibber-jabber that was technically impressive but not exciting in a drum corps way for me. I don't think I'm alone in thinking this. But hey, BD must be doing something right because they won, so all the power to them. From the chatter in the stands it sounded like most folks thought Crown won ...

Overall, Sunday night was good times in Sacramento and extra kudos to the stadium folks for flipping on the lights this year :)