I Love Crown -definately the gold

^^^ no he is not a BD honk at all^^^ Thank you garfield!

I love Carolina Crown's show (sans the teenager on the microphone) but BD just really spreads it all out and to see it from up top...Holy Cow it's even more amazing!!!

thank you Carolina Crown for coming out and all the really great stuff you did for us as an encore! (that was frea....kin Amaaaazing!) worthy.gif

By "teenager on the microphone", you mean age-out horn sergeant, right? =p

• Like 2

Then I watched BD. OMG! That show. I'm speechless. I've not been so engrossed in a BD show in years.

This.

I also loved 2012 BD, but that show had an almost lazy, haphazard quality to it, as it should, to portray the Dada concept. THIS show takes all the ingredients of creative motion they presented last year and adds this giant layer or intensity on it (again, exactly as it should, given the source music). It's a huge, driving, multimedia presentation, continuing the push-pull idea they pioneered last year, which moves the show along with a series of musical and visual entrances and exits, rather than the stale opener-drum solo-ballad-closer formula.

The poles (they look-especially the bases-like the mobile volleyball net stands you used to see in gym class) are fantastic, and I'm sure their use will become crisper as time moves along. Something as simple as painting the bottoms red produces a surprise. The perceived velocity of the marching is greatly heightened by seeing the members go flying by/through the white stick forest. It's like how passing phone poles on the highway makes you seem to be going faster.

One of my favorite effects EVER was the use of the hoops by their guard last year. How would they top that? By cutting the hoops in half and using both pieces. In just a few seconds I saw them represent undulating waves, animal tusks and bows and arrows. Then they threw them sky-high. Just fantastic. Why is no one else being this inventive?

Last year I felt like BD was teaching a college-level design master class, and everyone else was in kindergarten. I give Crown great credit for seeing the merit of what the Devils were doing, and rather than trying to emulate it, at least taking the initiative to break out of their own cream-colored box, and produce their own show that is far more interesting than anything they have done in years. Is it enough to beat nuclear-powered Stravinsky? That's going to be tough.

Cadets look like a glass ceiling of third to me, at this point. Technically strong, but the design is almost stubbornly simplistic compared to these two, and I think they could be taking more chances with the Side x Side concept. It looks a lot like ordinary drill with occasional obvious divisions.

• Like 10

This.

One of my favorite effects EVER was the use of the hoops by their guard last year. How would they top that? By cutting the hoops in half and using both pieces. In just a few seconds I saw them represent undulating waves, animal tusks and bows and arrows. Then they threw them sky-high. Just fantastic. Why is no one else being this inventive?

SCV used almost identical half-circle hoops last year and used them to represent stars. They were also used as standard guard equipment. Guess BD isn't being that cutting edge with them.

• Like 6

This.

I also loved 2012 BD, but that show had an almost lazy, haphazard quality to it, as it should, to portray the Dada concept. THIS show takes all the ingredients of creative motion they presented last year and adds this giant layer or intensity on it (again, exactly as it should, given the source music). It's a huge, driving, multimedia presentation, continuing the push-pull idea they pioneered last year, which moves the show along with a series of musical and visual entrances and exits, rather than the stale opener-drum solo-ballad-closer formula.

The poles (they look-especially the bases-like the mobile volleyball net stands you used to see in gym class) are fantastic, and I'm sure their use will become crisper as time moves along. Something as simple as painting the bottoms red produces a surprise. The perceived velocity of the marching is greatly heightened by seeing the members go flying by/through the white stick forest. It's like how passing phone poles on the highway makes you seem to be going faster.

Last year I felt like BD was teaching a college-level design master class, and everyone else was in kindergarten. I give Crown great credit for seeing the merit of what the Devils were doing, and rather than trying to emulate it, at least taking the initiative to break out of their own cream-colored box, and produce their own show that is far more interesting than anything they have done in years. Is it enough to beat nuclear-powered Stravinsky? That's going to be tough.

Cadets look like a glass ceiling of third to me, at this point. Technically strong, but the design is almost stubbornly simplistic compared to these two, and I think they could be taking more chances with the Side x Side concept. It looks a lot like ordinary drill with occasional obvious divisions.

And yet there is plenty of season to go.

• Like 1

By "teenager on the microphone", you mean age-out horn sergeant, right? =p

Oh no. I just find that younger people on a mic don't have the mature voice and I would rather hear a pre recorded sample. (yea I'm the odd guy that way)

There was one corps that had a real radio DJ voice that was impressive but most the time they don't.

• Like 2

This.

Oh man!~ Really good analysis! I really thing this years Crown show could beat last years BD show. Unfortunately this years show is way more complex. Who knows? If Crown can win tonight... We got a serious rivalry. If BDE wins I am afraid (according to history) they will have the momentum and go with it.

I would like to see Crown win this.