Electricity

If, during a day time (no lights) show, the electricity became unavailable because of (whatever reason), how many corps would be affected?

If electricity was not available to plug in all of those things used on the field, how many corps would choose not to perform? Is it written in their contracts that on-field electricity be available, or else they would not perform?

I mean with all the microphones, synths, pre-recording, etc., I think BD and Crown would be most affected.

Could BD and Crown actually compete on their own "old school style" without all that stuff?

-Roger

• Like 5

....oh goody. ANOTHER "I hate electronics" thread.

No, actually it's not another "I hate electronics" thread. Sorry to burst your bubble.

It's a legitimate question. In the event there isn't any electricity, how would these corps perform, if even they would perform at all?

• Like 5

They just do. And if there's a silence gap, then there's a silence gap. Corps are well trained enough to know count structures and shouldn't be too affected by a silence gap. Not to mention there is never a good time to listen forward to something coming from pit/speakers.

I can think of two shows I marched in 2011 where the power went out in the middle of our performance. Yes, something was lost without some of the effects, but we didn't let it affect our performance too much.

• Like 1

Not a problem. BD has a small (and quiet) Honda generator on rollers. They used it at the BBQ performance at Stanford.

This.

Amazing how quiet those generators are! I'd wager that every corps has a backup plan just in case.

OTOH I think the show host has an obligation to provide power so it is indeed in the "contract".

• Like 1

Not a problem. BD has a small (and quiet) Honda generator on rollers. They used it at the BBQ performance at Stanford.

I was about to add that the Crossmen use a generator as well. I'm assuming it's for the pit electronics. I wonder if this is a class-wide thing or if it's more corps based.

Last year at the MetLife ToC Finale show it started raining pretty good and most corps chose to go without electronics (with the exception of BD and Crown.) The only corps I noticed that was affected by it were the Cavaliers. Most surprisingly they seemed very quiet which to me tells me they relied on electronics to try and make their hornline louder. This is a huge nay nay in my book. They're show (already not a favorite of mine) fell a couple more notches in my book. Most corps though it seems could handle a power loss, especially if the have a generator for the 'essentials.'

• Like 1

If, during a day time (no lights) show, the electricity became unavailable because of (whatever reason), how many corps would be affected?

If electricity was not available to plug in all of those things used on the field, how many corps would choose not to perform? Is it written in their contracts that on-field electricity be available, or else they would not perform?

I mean with all the microphones, synths, pre-recording, etc., I think BD and Crown would be most affected.

Could BD and Crown actually compete on their own "old school style" without all that stuff?

-Roger

There's an app for that. :devil: